Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Duh! How do you set FSEX mode?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 20:20
Hi,

I'm cringing with embarassment, but having just installed the SDK and VC++, I have realised that in DBP I used to set screen modes via the project options. As VStudio isn't a DGSDK IDE, it doesn't have those options. A search for "screen" "fullscreen" or "fse" doesn't turn up the appropriate commands in the SDK help. Can anyone point me to the various commands for full screen exclusive mode, full screen windowed etc?

Thanks, yours in unmitigated horror,

T.
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I used dbSetWindowOff() which seemed to do it - although some aspects of the engine appeared to not work after...

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 20:57
Hmm, setWindowOff() seems to do it, but everything grinds to a halt, so not sure if that's the right thing to do. Anyone let me know that would be great.

Thanks,

T.
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 21:11
Hi Xiotex, something going wrong with this server. Your mail has just appeared between my two but wasn't visible when I sent my second one. It said there were three but only two showed. And an edit to mine disappeared.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, as you see I found the command after some more poking around, but still am not sure if it's the right thing to do, especially as you say some things stopped working.

T.
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah.. being new to this forum I get a delay before my positings appear...

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Artus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 21:43
I use the following with no problem:

//dbSetDisplayMode(800,600,16);
dbSetWindowLayout(0,0,1);
dbMaximiseWindow();
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 22:24
That certainly speeded things up, but as it was a windowed mode it allowed me to get at my other apps, and then when I shut down the game it screwed up all the other open apps. They all stopped responding...

T.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 22:49
You must be overwriting memory somewhere, as doing that is fine here.
If your using pointers, make sure they are in the correct range, and that they are valid.

Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 23:27
Tried it again and this is what happens.

1) Run game
2)Use windows key to get taskbar up
3)Click a few apps on task bar, they work OK
4)Go back to game, all is OK
5)Quit game
6) Things APPEAR to stop responding, but what's happening is that the taskbar is screwed up. Windows are maximising but not coming to the front, so it appears like they are not responding. The Z-order of the tasks seems to be buggered. They're hidden behind the VC++ IDE window. If you minimise the other windows the apps are there and responding.

I know the answer is "Don't use the windows key", but if it's possible then someone will.

T.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 00:36
That sort of thing is usually due to an old graphics driver - do you have the lastest one installed ? It can also happen with internal graphics processors (where the graphics memory is very small).

Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 04:21
ATI radeon 9700 with 128MB RAM. Should be OK. I have the latest drivers.

Oh well, I guess that's the least of my probs at this stage. Thanks for the help. I'm sure many things will change between now and the mythical release of my game (which will be a looong time from now).

T.
Artus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 22:04
I tried and there is no problem on my system and with my game...

Quote: " Tried it again and this is what happens.
1) Run game
2)Use windows key to get taskbar up
3)Click a few apps on task bar, they work OK
4)Go back to game, all is OK
5)Quit game
6) Things APPEAR to stop responding, but what's happening is that the taskbar is screwed up. Windows are maximising but not coming to the front, so it appears like they are not responding. The Z-order of the tasks seems to be buggered. They're hidden behind the VC++ IDE window. If you minimise the other windows the apps are there and responding."
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 22:11
Strange, but the frame rate drops from 455 to 60 when I use setWindowOff. Yet when I use full screen windowed and compare it to full screen exclusive in DBPro, there is no frame difference at all!

So I still wonder if setWindowOff is really FSEx or something else.

T.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 22:52
The FPS drop certainly sounds like its in FSEX mode. Dont forget though, that full screen windows and full screen exclusive are different.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:39