Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] The Newcomers Guide To Creating First Person Shooters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 02:02
smart thinking. It looks fine with me when I dont do it, and when I do what you say, it is VERY high.
Kim Possible
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 02:30
Was that @Me?

If so - well, it depends upon your character scale vs world-scale. For mine, I'm using: position camera camx#, camy#+20, camz# which keeps me to a pretty good scale. IE, when I'm standing in front of an identical character and looking level, I'm approx. looking that character in the eye.

Without it, I'm looking at their toes.
Karbonus
Years of Service
User Offline
Great tut! When is gravity and AI going to be done?

By the way, is it possible to load an X model file and use that instead of spheres and boxes?

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get, your life however, is like a box of ACTIVE GRENADES!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 16:52 Edited at: 19th Aug 2005 16:56
@Possible: Ah good point . The height we set the camera at doesn't really matter right now since we dont have dynamic models in, but I'll fix that aspect.

To those that don't know how, just change the y positioning of the camera to

OBJECT POSITION Y(1)+<amount>

Substitue <amount> for the height you wish from the bottom of the player, a good standard for now is to use the player's y size divided by 2, making it right in the center of the sphere.

It's up to you if you want to change aspects like this, it doesn't make much difference but experiment with it.

P.S: Using the @ symbol and then the user's name specifies you're replying to them.

@Karb: Using .x models is perfectly fine for this, go ahead and try it. You might need to scale things a bit though.

Ok, I know I said I was back a week ago, but then I had to go to my grandfather's for a week (suddenly), so I couldn't get back to work. The tutorial will be going slower than it was when it began especially since I havent been programming for...3 weeks or so, but I'll try my best as usual.

Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a great tutorial, I've only just seen it. I was planning on making a FPS and now this has helped understand things like INTERSECT OBJECT and JUMPING much better. Thanks very much Can't wait 'till the gravity section!

"A book. I hate books. book is stupid." -- Some lame idiot
Formerly Saberdude --DFStudios--
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 20:06
Looks good so far. I look forward to seeing this when it is finished.

Stay calm and keep a cool head
CaMeRoN H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 22:31
Stickatize?

Team Members Needed!!!
Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 05:01
I've been following this along, and learning a lot. Thanks for the tut!

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times."
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 02:04
Wow we need some posts on this forum.

Where are you Rucus!?

Formerly known as SFLM.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 03:19
Alright just incase people are waiting ive decided im not continuing with the tutorial until I have more time on my hands because things keep coming up and with school coming up along with a job and a girlfriend, I just dont have time.

Ill finish this when I can and post a finished file but just try doing it yourself, just some pointers for gravity:

Gravity Tips:

- Check if the user is on the ground (using intersect object)
- If the user isn't on the ground, move them down at a variable
- Increase the variable at which they move down as they move down for physics
- Disallow them to jump when theyre falling
- When they touch the ground, stop falling

AI Tips:

- Have the enemy turn right constantly until they see the user
- When the see the user (check if they do using intersect object or newxvalue and newzvalue commands), move the enemy forward and run through the enemy shooting process (reducing the users health)
- When the enemy is no longer looking at the user stop moving and start turning more to find them

- For added AI have the system check if the enemy is shot and if so make the enemy turn around and shoot the user

Deeply sorry but I really have no time to do any programming right now so, goodluck.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 03:07

I look forward to you having time.

So deeply sorry for your loss. In the meantime I think someone should stickify this so it doesn't fall to the bottom of the threads and it doesn't die.

Formerly known as SFLM.
Neotech
Years of Service
User Offline
we can use this threde to comment on and about the tutorial and what we have done to keep it updated for other newbs
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 23:59
I agree...

So I have one thing to say to anyone who has just found this thread and that is that if your trying to skip ahead to read what has happened so far you might as well go back to the beginning and read ALL of it.

This is a tutorial not a walkthrough, it is meant to help you understand basic and advanced concepts that will also appear in other programs you later persue.

Without further ado a link to the first page.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=56770&b=7

Formerly known as SFLM.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 04:51
Continuing to uphold the site by saying something of importance.

I think that part of making a game is learning the basics of programming. Here is a big tip. Learn to manipulate values to do what you want. Anything can be done in a game, you just have to pick the correct values and manipulate everything correctly and it should come out fine. Also keep in mind that the more variables in a project the more complex the project will be. If you find something like a FPS to difficult try something simple. All the guru's suggest pong, but I dont like it. Pong is good to learn how to create boxes and stuff but I think that any arcady kind of game like that will help.

Formerly known as SFLM.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 00:30
Must retain awesome thread. Posting to keep in up.

Formerly known as SFLM.
Krimzon DestinE
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, you don't konw how much this tutorial has helped me to understand DBPro!!! I'm reading the "Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming" while simultaneously working through on-line tuts and this tutorial has helped me to understand certain aspects of DBPro that the book has failed to help me fathom. Thanks Ruccus. You gotta continue!!!
Krimzon DestinE
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying to make the wall we created solid so that I can't pass through it, so I tried to make it so that if you interesected the object then the character would not move but I can pass straight through the wall. I removed the original coding so that you could only move foward or backward if you were interesecting with the wall and i was right. So, I was wondering how I could rewrite this code so that I cannot pass through the wall (Object 4).

`Movement Controls
IF KEYSTATE(17)=1 AND INTERSECT OBJECT (4, LIMB POSITION X(1,1), LIMB POSITION Y(1,1), LIMB POSITION Z(1,1), OBJECT POSITION X(1),OBJECT POSITION Y(1), OBJECT POSITION Z(1))>0 THEN MOVE OBJECT 1,0
IF KEYSTATE(31)=1 AND INTERSECT OBJECT (4, LIMB POSITION X(1,1), LIMB POSITION Y(1,1), LIMB POSITION Z(1,1), OBJECT POSITION X(1),OBJECT POSITION Y(1), OBJECT POSITION Z(1))>0 THEN MOVE OBJECT 1,0
IF KEYSTATE(17)=1 THEN MOVE OBJECT 1,.9
IF KEYSTATE(31)=1 THEN MOVE OBJECT 1,-.9
IF KEYSTATE(30)=1 THEN MOVE OBJECT LEFT 1,.6
IF KEYSTATE(32)=1 THEN MOVE OBJECT RIGHT 1,.6
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 21:34
this should be sticky. it could help lots of people who want to make FPS games without that FPS creator

Version--DB Classic
900 mhz AMD Athlon, 128 MB RAM,
16 MB NVidia Vanta gfx card, Windows ME System software
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 21:50
Hey everyone thanks for keeping this thing alive, been getting back into programming so we'll see what happens!

As for collision, here's how I usually do it.

- Send out intersection rays in every direction of the user, (front back left right top bottom)
- If an intersection occurs and the intersection is right at the beginning of the intersection check, handle the collision appropriately.
- If you want a sliding collision feel as most developers do, you could check which intersection ray is being activated, and handle appropriately. So if teh user intersects on the left, move them to the right, front to back, top to bottom, etc.

I know thats not much help right now but Ill be getting back into programming soon (especially since Im taking a programming class - which I just so happen to be in now as I write - and programming games will impress the teacher )

I hope to reply back soon, glad this thing helped so many people.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 23:33
NICE! What language are you taking? I'm currently taking a c++ after the pascal class I took last year. You are right about impressing the teacher with games and stuff.

Formerly known as SFLM.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 00:13
Quote: "and programming games will impress the teacher "

yeah, i know what you mean...

i did a pong game using openGL and my teacher was like "YOU MADE THAT???????!!?!?!? "

(i probably should wait to show them anything too cool or they might have a heart attack...especially if i don't tell them it's in DBPro!!! )

"We make the worst games in the universe."

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 02:02

this looks like a cool topic,hope u finish it soon.

but u forgot one feature-lighting.i need help with this badly!!
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 19:26 Edited at: 1st Oct 2005 19:27
NVRM DISREGARD POST. NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

Formerly known as SFLM.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 03:08 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2005 03:22
New site dedicated to the tutorial is up, found at ruccus.net.

http://www.ruccus.net/Tutorial.htm

I also added two more chapters I believe, fairly small but I'm just getting back into it.

Also, I'll be posting the code on that site from now on instead of here.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Ruccus man,your tutorial has done the world for my rpg and my learning curve. Where do we send donations to?

Dont stop developing this. Maybe add some melee cobat code. Every FPS has a good knife fight or option to blugeon someone with a bat, bottle etc

- This message is made of 100% recycled bits and bytes
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 03:24
Lol no donations needed glad it helps. It's actually pretty funny, I'm learning as I write this tutorial because I've never programmed an FPS in my life. Lol so it's cool its helping so many people.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 20:40
yeah, one thing though is if you look the opposite direction of the enemy you will notice the health text floating in the air...

maybe you adressed this in the tutorial but i haven't read it all yet

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 00:04
Looks good. Glad you got working on it again. I'm sure this will be a VERY big help to beginners.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 00:49

@ ruccus,do u think u could add one more thing..falling if walk over cliff?and get hurt if fall too far?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 16:02
@David,
Thats coming up. Its the weekend and as I said I'm releasing a new chapter each weekend, or more if I can.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 16:39
I'm glad to see that your finally doing this again.

Formerly known as SFLM.
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 23:50 Edited at: 17th Oct 2005 23:50
great tutorial cant let this fall off the forums
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 15:00 Edited at: 20th Oct 2005 04:30
<EDIT: Visit Website>

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 00:24 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 00:25
Quote: "There you have it, a good sliding collision, polygonal detection system. What’s next? Who knows!"

I know I know!!! More waiting! YAY!!!!!

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:02
To be fair, I'm doing this on my own time for no profit or income, it's just to help newcommers. So be glad I'm doing it at all.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:25
where can i dl the entire tutorial?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:29
Go to www.RUCCUS.net/Tutorial.htm , it contains the entire tutorial, the current code, screen shots and an index for easy reference.

HOWEVER

I haven't added this recent chapter to the site since my computer's taken a turn for the worse on me, AND the current source code has some errors in it I've forgotten to fix. To get the current code just take the code from the above chapter at the end.

Need help with something? Add Ask-RUCCUS@hotmail.com and ask me on MSN.
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:46
thanks
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 20:00
Quote: "To be fair, I'm doing this on my own time for no profit or income, it's just to help newcommers. So be glad I'm doing it at all."

Wasn't trying to be mean. Just a bit of sarcasm.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 22:13
Sorry just getting a little edgy I have 3 projects on the go and 2 of them aren't being done whenever I want they actually have to be done by a date.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 04:38
Site Updated A Lot

I revamped the last 3 chapters, edited them and corrected some major code problems that somehow slipped by me. I also edited Chapter 5 GREATLY, gave a more detailed explanation of DB's basic commands and collision theories, and altogether fixed everything. The new chapter is up featuring polygonal collision and I'll pick up tomorow, I have a half day of school so I should have some time to add a chapter.

Also, pretty soon I'll be releasing some media for download, just a heads u. It'll be a map file, a character, a gun, an enemy, the weapons, a HUD picture, other pictures, textures, some random objects like boxes and barrels, and possibly more. Not too soon but I'm just letting you know, duno why

Thanks for all the great comments so far, It's been helping a lot of people from what I understand.

P.S: Antidote thanks for the reminder on the variable definition, I'll be fixing that in the next chapter. As I said this is my first time making an FPS aswell

P.S.2: I'll be updating the website soon aswell (possibly even tonight) with a lot more resources for newcommers (a bunch of snippets, the tutorial will finally be features on the site, the forum will be back up, ad other things aswell). So, an all around productive week for ruccus.net is ahead!

Thanks
- RUCCUS

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 17:57
This is looking better all the time. Once its finished this should get pinned.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 18:40 Edited at: 20th Oct 2005 21:58
Glad to hear it.

I just read over the updates I did and there's a LOT of spelling mistakes, I can't fix them now because I'm at school but they'll be fixed by tonight for sure. I'm starting to think now that after I finish this I may do some sort of trilogy, Like the newcommers guide to creating RPGs and the newcommers guide to creating RTS's, maybe more like racing, sports games, I don't know the possibilities are endless.

<EDIT> Site's been edited, much less spelling mistakes and now it includes links to all of the collision examples given (except BSP and DBPs intersect object)

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 03:56
Thats sounds like a good idea, although if you intend to do an RPG you'll need a lot of perserverence.

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 01:29
So...any updates coming up soon?

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
bump

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 14:18
Sorry I'm staying at my grandmothers for a while while my grandfather is in the hospital, they dont have a computer let alone DB there. Thats the reason I havent been doing anything with the tutorial. I leave for my home in a few days (at the library computer right now).

Sorry for the delay.

x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont fret it Ruccus. We arent going anywhere. I sincerely hope you DO,do a RPG tutorial next.
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 01:55
Lol I was getting scared. The minute an RPG is mentioned the project seems to disapear.

Anyway, glad to see you havn't abandoned the project. Hope your grandfather gets out of the hospital soon.

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Great tutorial. I will be using this. Will enemies be able to shoot?

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:14:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:14:49