Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] The Newcomers Guide To Creating First Person Shooters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 15:50
But then you might have a problem with people making bad tutorials to try and get a thread on the Tut board.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 22:02 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 22:06
Wow... stickied, looks like I might have to finish it now...

As far as a tut board goes, it would get more attention than just having the tutorials placed all over the forums (with the exception of tutorial city...). Maybe there could just be a link on the forum to tutorial city, maybe at the top, so all of the newcommers wouldn't be able to miss it. And then, if (I forget who made tut city, I think it was Vink...) the creator of tut city were to allow the mods access to updating it, the mods could add new tutorials they see popping up to it.

I think if I do finally sit down and finish the tut I might do it in articles and try submitting them to the newsletter, that way I only have to worry about maybe a quarter of the tutorial each moneth (as I said, if I get back to work on this, Id redo it entirely, as Ive learnt a lot more since writing it).

<EDIT>

I think Ive decided, Ill sit down tonight after dinner and try to pump out the first half of an "article". Im pretty sure Ill make the entire thing smaller than this one, mainly because when I wrote this one I kept on making mistakes with the logic and then going "we did something stupid before, time to fix it", but also because I might bump the learning level up to intermediate (it gets really boring describing something like MAKE OBJECT BOX -_-).

- RUC'

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 03:59
Quote: "I was trying to download from page 4."

I didn't even know there was a second download!

By the way, ruccus, bumping the learning level up to intermediate is a good idea, I took this tutorial further to make my own FPS but had to stop because the code became to intertwined with the idea that there is only one enemy, wall, and ammo box.

Confucius say click the link to become a master game developer.
http://www.dexterity.com/articles/
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 04:29
Which would've been remedied later on by showing the use of loops to run through every object in the world, checking for collision and handling appropriately.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 12:23
can u post the code here because when i click on your link it takes me to this site that wants me to bie all this stuff, and at the top it says"firefox has prevented this site from opening a popup window"

I chink i know you but i could be wong
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 12:58
Its a rar file, you need winRar to download it. You can get winRar, free, from download.com, just do a search for it.

Dbproguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 08:47
or at rarlabs.com I believe.

I'm such a n00b (Dark Basic Pro Guy is my older bro btw!!!)
[/url]
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 04:14 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 04:14
Im thinking of taking a different approach now, instead of making a generic FPS, it'd be a clone of battlefield 2. I think people would be more encouraged to read through the tutorial if it led towards building a game they're familiar with.

My ideas;

Its not finalized, but if/when I do begin writing it'll be after exams (about 2 weeks from today).

- RUC'

iGd
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds awesome! I love BF2 and would love to make a clonish type game of it

-----------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------- Coming 2008 ------------------------
Senkan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 22:15
WOW! This is a great tutorial. It's pitty that ruccus.net isn't working any more (at least not in my computer). Well, guess I have to survive without the rest of the tutorial. Thanks for this tutorial!

Toste? Arigato. Baka. (Althought I'm not from Japan, I have learned a bit of japanese by watching Neon Genesis Evangelion...)Am I writing this s**t right? Because I'm not so good at writing english
random person
Years of Service
User Offline
theres something wrong with moving
if you turn then try to move forward the character just vibrates or moving in circles
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 03:22
Cant wait for the new FPS tutorial, thatll be awesome

Opposites are different, not wrong
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 03:50
man i live by this tutorial!

sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
i have added to the code to this tutorial (i have disabled some parts while i work on them) i have changed the way jumping gravity and ground collision are handle, although i am having a bit of trouble with jumping (try jumping on the red floor) ahh yes i forgot to add (with my addition i have easily placed multiple floors in [something i couldnt get to work with limb collision])

heres the code:

i have a dream of perfect tactical realism in games
have a question about military tactics?
ask me at this post http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94634&b=1
BombCo101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 19:40
It doesn't work for me......
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes!!! Back on track. I think I will end up using code from the tutorial for my game. I hope everything goes as planned, because I would like to see the tutorial done soon. Its nice to have some more progress for the tutorial!
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
i worked it out anyway

it was a problem with a for next loop at the jumping section

i have a dream of perfect tactical realism in games
have a question about military tactics?
ask me at this post http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94634&b=1
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
It has been over 2 weeks from november 15th, so is there any news?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 23:59
Nope, havent done much on it as of yet.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
But will soon, right?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 02:48
Probably not.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 02:38 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 02:40
Ruccus,what if I offerd to paypal(would be a paypal alternative, really dislike paypal) you $100 to finish it. And I dont mean an half assed job of finishing it,and id go as far as to forward the funds in advance.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 02:58
x1b:

Thats an amazing offer, and Im astounded to find out my tutorial would be wanted that much, I can see you really want to make the community a better place and help newcommer's with starting out. As much as Id love to have a spare 100 dollars in my pocket, I wouldnt feel right taking it, mainly because I dont feel my tutorial would be worth that much .

With that said...

A proposition such as that has really sparked me into having another go at writing a great tutorial. However before I do attempt to write such a large tutorial (as Im sure something thatd cover the cloning of battlefield 2, would easily ammount to a book's worth of text), I think Im going to write 1 or 2 smaller tutorials to get me into the "mode". They wont cover FPSs, but other smaller developement-time game genres.

Im thinking of one of the following;

- A single-player racing game with 3 race tracks
- A solo, third-person shooter with 3 missions
- A 2 player (not online) Battleship game

Im leaning towards the last one, as I can see it not being too difficult while introducing some good skills to be learnt throughout.

Thanks a tonne for the support x1b,
- RUC'

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 04:30 Edited at: 6th Jan 2007 08:36
Well, it wasnt a bluff. Many can attest to the fact that I DO have the money,and LiT can attest to the fact that if I offer to do something, it will get done. Megaton Cat can attest that if I say I will forward funds, it will be done(we've done a multitude of transactions)

That being said. Yes, i'm very influenced by your tut and really hoping one day you even do one RPG style (not online multiplayer) and yes i'd love to make this available to the community. I'm hoping to help TDK in a simular fashion.

Quote: "- A solo, third-person shooter with 3 missions"

Well, i would really, really like to see the FPS one completed, and after having gone through all the posts from day 1, 99% of us here would really like to see this completed.. but I guess a 3rd person shooter is just as valuable. Say $50 for the mini tut?

If we cant find a suitable Paypal alternative, I can and will forward as an express mail Money Order. You and I are both Canadian, in Canada. Take 3 days,tops to get to you. Email or MSN me with an PO Box or address if this sounds reasonable or a paypal alternative of your preferance.

Artaures
Years of Service
User Offline
x1b, I must thank you for your generosity towards the community, and helping it progress. Great thing you are trying to do here, and it should most certainly be thanked by the whole community.

Cheers.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate that,Artaures. However, I suspect that Ruccus's pride won't allow him to accept the funds, but will still either complete fps or begin one of the three others. I'm yet to hear from the man

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 18:03
If you check the game design theory board, Im trying to figure out an alternative way to handle weapon positioning , as right now Wings 3D doesnt export limb offsets properly, so limb glueing isnt gona work .

So thats a yes on working on the FPS.

0dragon star0
Years of Service
User Offline
i went through the whole tutuorial, but at the end, the enemy's health was an unrecognized parameter..i i'm not quite sure what to do
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 19:10 Edited at: 7th Jan 2007 19:16
Quote: "So thats a yes on working on the FPS."

Absolutely freeking Awsome!

Quote: "man i live by this tutorial!"

I have to admit, so do I. Think I may even take some code from my own project and integrate it. Like gradual health recovery.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 19:20
I dont think its that good... Its just a really basic FPS engine, like I said before, reading over it theres a lot of flaws that I would've never done had I written it with what I know now. Also, I cant believe I didnt indent that stuff!

- RUC'

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe. But the manner inwhich you go about explaining all the code, makes a monster difference in ones learning curve. This tut, coupled with Lost In Thought's, help, was the birth of my Juxta Tempus project, and now will be the cause of it's rebirth.

My offer to forward the $100, remains. I feel I speak for all the community when I say that it's worth every dime and more.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 00:20 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 00:26
x1b, this tutorial has made ruccus famous on these forums, I don't think you need to bribe him, if he chooses to not to continue with the tut, he's making other tutorials.

Quote: "I dont think its that good... Its just a really basic FPS engine, like I said before, reading over it theres a lot of flaws that I would've never done had I written it with what I know now. Also, I cant believe I didnt indent that stuff! "

Well coding style is one of the not so good part of the tut in my opinion, but it really shows the algorithms you'd need for an FPS. When I first came across this tut I only knew BASIC programming and some of DBP's 3D commands, but I really had no idea how to integrate them until I did this tut. I eventually made a mini FPS game out of it, I still wasn't good at coding style at that time, so one thing I learned was why it's not good to write sloppy code. On the bright side I learned loads about object texturing, animations, and 3d sounds, and following the tut was loads of fun. I'm definitly paying serious attention to any new threads ruccus creates.

One year later and I still don't know half of DBP's 1000+ command set, but I've pretty much mastered good coding style and 2D so things will be loads easier from here on out. No more projects being dumped for bad coding for me! I'm spreading this invaluble knowlage in my Pac-Man tut, it teaches good coding not just 2D sprite minipulation. I have plans for future a guide on what makes a game fun, and maybe a thread where people can post good coding tips.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?"
"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle."
"It's more of a demonstration really."
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 00:50
Quote: "this tutorial has made ruccus famous"

Haha well I didnt want to brag... joking,

But yeah I agree the structure of how the program was... programmed is pretty sloppy, Ive lernt a lot since then.

(Then again bare in mind, I was making some of the code inefficient on purpose, some of my old posts outline how I planned to show better methods later on).

- RUC'

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 01:43 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 02:08
Quote: " I don't think you need to bribe him, if he chooses to not to continue with the tut"

hm..
Quote: "A proposition such as that has really sparked me into having another go at writing a great tutorial"

Quote: "So thats a yes on working on the FPS."

Nuff said. tks. Now to correct your assumption(code dragon) My jesture was in recognition of Ruc's time and contribution to the community. If you apply your same logic to my offer to donate one of my DBP keys to TDK's DBC challenge? Then you would see the flaw in your logic, and where I am coming from. Sorry if my reply comes across as crass. I do have a rep for that..don't I. I assure you that isn't the case in this reply. My need to give back to the community stems from such people as Lost in thought, Megaton Cat and Cash Curtis, along with a few others that had contributed much personal time to helping me get launched from ground zero to current day state of my Juxta Tempus Project, which in turn has also turned me to studying Game Development at the University level which also lead to me studying Law. I am sincerely gratefull. Point...blank..

Ruc: Given how much we have all learnt from what you have made available? You clearly have done something very right. And seems it's about to get 10 fold better.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 21:27
I dont think he meant it in a bad way x1b.

Good news... I figured out a good fix for my weapon positioning problem, in fact this method seems to be easier to use/understand than what I was planning to do had Wings 3D's offset data worked . Ill be writing the weapons engine tonight, ironing it out.

Im going to start a small blog about the progress of the FPS tutorial on my temporary site (ruccus.net got "stolen...") www.freewebs.com/RUCCUS, Ill post screens/info on whats been done on it.

(Setting up the site in the next 10 minutes).

- RUC'

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 22:36 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 22:39
Indeed I didn't mean it in a bad way. I'm wondering how much tutorials are actually worth, $100 seemed like a lot. There's a page on this site that says TCG might want to buy tutorials, so ruccus you could be making lots of dough right now. If they pay lots I could be a professional commercial/indie game developer/tutorial writer. Three sources of moolah doesn't sound bad.

P.S. ruccus.net got stolen?! How does a web site get stolen? I'd press charges if I could find out who did it.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?"
"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle."
"It's more of a demonstration really."
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:04
Hence the quotes around "stolen". Basically I put off paying the fee to renew the site (you have to do that once a year), when I finally got around to doing it (only like a week later than I should've) it had turned out that Wang Lee (prick...) of Wang Lee Domains (wangleedomains.com if you'd like to send him some complaint mail ) bought my site, and tried to sell it back to me.

Not only did he try to sell it back to me, but he tried to do so for 900 DOLLARS! That, in my books, is clinically insane, but all jokes aside he probably does make quite a profit off of messing up other people's companies and projects. After emailing him back telling him where I thought he could put his 900 dollars, he confusingly lowered the price to 300, and I left it at that, since that is still rediculous, however even if the price was 1 dollar I wouldnt pay it because I wouldnt justify his company by doing so.

*hopefully* when my birthday comes round this year (thats when Wang Lee bought the site), Ill be able to buy it before he does, or maybe he'll just ditch it after seeing I havent showed interest in a year. ...Hopefully

(Luckily, actually REALLY luckily, my brothers girlfriend knew the guy who owned the hosting company, and managed to retrieve my files, including the FPS Tutorial, as I didnt have any back ups on my computer :o .

- RUC'

Oh yeah, and the freewebs site is all set up, blog running (people can comment there too apparently, freewebs must've upgraded big time), so thats cool, Im working on the weapon engine right now . Coming along good.

- RUC'

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:19 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 23:21
Quote: "Not only did he try to sell it back to me, but he tried to do so for 900 DOLLARS! That, in my books, is clinically insane"

$900? He is insane. Yep. No doubt about it, there's two kind of people in the world: People who make money honestly, and people who don't. It's that simple, nobody in their sane mind would charge $900 for being one week late. Sorry to hear that, you might not be better off at a freeweb site either, they might delete your site if people aren't clicking the adds. (Write a mouse clicking macro to fix this problem ) I have experince of what happenes when you don't have backups, I permenantly deleted one of my DBP projects by accident once. Good to hear you recovered the files. I don't have a web site but that must be what the big bad net is like, got to be careful I guess.

Quote: "Gimme teh code!"

Thank you for not flooding the forums with posts like this.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:37
freewebs is safe, I know from experience. I still have some of my freewebs sites I made when I was like 9, they never delete them. Its actually the opposite , when I modelled my map idea for Halo 2 (i tried so hard to get them to add it as downloadable content ) and posted pics on my site and then linked from bungie, i was getting so much bandwidth usage that they had to shut my site down. I made 3 sites after that, and every day they were shut down because of all of the people checking out the pics .

Dexter_
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome tutorial!!!
just read it, helped me a lot :p
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
It'll be significantly better if/when Ruccus finds the time to redo(polish) it

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 00:25
This is indeed a great tutorial. Hope that ruccus finishes it someday as it would be terrible for such a good thing to die. Btw, thanks on behalf of the community for your offer to ruccus x1b.

Stay calm and keep a cool head
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
You're most welcome, though I think we or I, may have scared off Ruccus

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 08:35
Nah he's not scare off. Prolly just busy. In any case I can set you up with www.ruccus.mapmasterz.com and give you some free space if you need ruccus. I really appreciate you doing this as well. Especially since I haven't had time to finish my open source FPS engine yet. It was going to be turned into a tutorial once completed, but then everything sort of hit me from all directions lol.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 13:35 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 13:39
Ive been updating the FPS Blog I mentioned at www.freewebs.com/ruccus every few days with info, theres also a youtube video up there. Heres a screeny of gameplay at it's current state, was just experimenting with getting the graphics a bit better before I continued on with the engine, as when a game has some funky effects it makes you want to work on it more:

<edit>

Thanks for the offer LiT but the freewebs site will do for now until I get my old site back, I dont need anything too large anyways. Really appreciate the offer though.

Ive also been modelling a bit as I work on the project, if you check this thread in 3D Chat, Im modelling Halo 2's Headlong map so I can throw it in the engine for testing, though Im really liking my current city map for the time being as well.

- RUC'

:: Check out the new FPS Tutorial's Progress at http://www.freewebs.com/ruccus
along with code, media, and more.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
oh snap... sorry Ruc, first few times I tried that link awhile back, it never worked, so I just assumed you'd announce when it was up. my bad!

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, this is so going to be awsome, especially if you carry on with how you usually explain then add the new code to the previous lessons code, to be compiled and test.

All of this added, is just amazing:
-Jumping/Gravity
-Weapon Switching
-Weapon Implementation System (really easy to add weapons now)
-Basic graphics (hand model, sky sphere, textured test map, etc)
-Ammo crates
-Reloading
-Weapon picking up/dropping
-Dual Wielding
-Gun Spray
-Decals
-Scopes (zooming in)

When this is done and LiT gets his out as well? I'm VERY confident we will start seeing a major boom in quality FPV FPS and RPG's.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 21:33
The only problem Im experiencing right now is one I cant control, its a bug in sparky's dll (I remember LiT mentioning this, but it never effected me before), where when large map files are setup, polygons close to the edges of the model return weird information, cuasing sticky collision and sometimes no collision at all. Theres always a workaround, but for the time being Ive just moved all of the buildings closer towards the center of the map and it's seemed to fix the problem for now.

Also right now, the muzzle flash positions arent always at the end of the gun barrel, again, something I cant control as Wings 3D doesnt export limb offset data properly and deep exploration doesnt seem to fix it, so I cant use an invisible limb positioned at the end of the gun barrel to position muzzle flashes right now. Currently Im just positioning the flashes at the gun's z size divided by 2, but again that doesnt work with my system because the guns aren't centered on the z axis, so sometimes the z size values returned arent correct either.

Other than that its coming along really well, Ive managed to get a hold of some excellent sound effects from my drama teacher that are royalty free, so that'll make the feel of the game come together a bit better.

- RUC'

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 21:51
The video gives this tutorial a promising look. I can't wait until it's released. Will you explaining how to load 3D game worlds from files in the tutorial, or is the whole level hard coded?

By the way you might want to fix this typo on the site:

Quote: "I dont want to make any ptomises. --"

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 18:35
A complete FPS wouldnt be a complete FPS if you're just running around cubes , so thats a yes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:30:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:30:42