Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / quick question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 23:29
i just bought the sdk and I was wondering a couple things:

1) Do I have access to the scene graph (or BSP) or whatever?
2) Are the 3d maths functions very fast or am I just as well to use code I have already written for D3D and OpenGL?
3) Some of the matrix functions have to do with the lookat matricies and FOV and such. If I want to change these matrices myself how can I apply these transformations or where are the world, view, and projection matrices stored?

Thanks guys
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 23:39
Quote: "Do I have access to the scene graph (or BSP) or whatever?[/img]"

BSP commands are there

Quote: "Are the 3d maths functions very fast or am I just as well to use code I have already written for D3D and OpenGL?"

Time it at see - yours may be faster...

Quote: "Some of the matrix functions have to do with the lookat matricies and FOV and such. If I want to change these matrices myself how can I apply these transformations or where are the world, view, and projection matrices stored?"

Pass...

matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 23:41
good call on #2 lol

for #1 i meant the scene graph that the renderer uses. This would be handy for things like AI as you can get accurate and quick lines of sight and such.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 00:04
Scene graph ? 'fraid I dont know what your talking about there - unless your talking about the rendering system...

matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 00:08
the part of the rendering system that organizes and displays objects that are visible to the camera. It handles things like occlusion culling and such by tracing through a tree like structure.

A scene graph is the same idea as BSP just a different implementation. I dont know what the db engine uses but it would be nice to have even read-only access to the data structure.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 00:16
For that sort of information, you'll need to ask Mike, I think...

matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 00:18
sure

any ideas Mike?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 00:37
Information about the rendering isn't available right now but it can be exposed for an upgrade.

Going to be a whole host of new functions in the next upgrade that open things up a lot more so you can get full control over everything.
matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 01:14
fair enough.

for now, is the scene stored in bsp (or scene graph) for objects loaded at runtime not from a bsp file?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 01:30
For regular objects everything is stored in several arrays. When using some of the commands things will be stored in nodetree formats.
matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 01:46
is there any way to force the renderer to use the tree formats?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:30:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:30:31