Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 98se / me Support for game exes?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I've just checked out the site and am downloading the demo now. Got a few related questions:

1. I read that the software doesn't work in Windows 98se or ME, does that mean that if you build game exes they ALSO won't work in 98se or ME?

Just a question, as surely this will seriously limit the ammount of sales of shareware or budget games... although I appreciate the recommended specs are hihger than normal for such things anyways.

2. Out of interest is there a technical reason for this, as I doubt that tgc is being "paid off" by Microsoft to make it XP only, as they are strongly rumored to have done with Doom 3 & San Andreas...

3. Being that I read that FPSC is being developed in a version of dbpro with bug fixes as they find them, does this mean that updates to DBpro in the future will be compatible with 2000/XP only also?

For those wondering, yes I do use XP, but also 98se fully updated as a dual boot, as I have waaaay too many problems with XP online (Ie viruses & spyware installed on a FRESH installation whilst trying to download the blummin updates! lol) :S

Thanks, Marie
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 04:10
I don't know. Maybe later if I have enough time I'll put one of my games on a cd and play it on my other computer with 98.

I'll tell you later if I have time,
DA ChieF
9thlife
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks If anyone else could let me know their opions on these issues I'd be greateful, especially intersested in the developers or mods opinions on question 3.... thanks
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 11:13
Well here's what happend.
I put a game on a cd and tried to play it on my pc running 98. It was freezing up. Then a window came up saying runtime error - (bunch of #) Video memory too low or something ( I already forgot )

That might be the problem, my grapics card.

I dont have a very good graphics card so you might want to try to get somebody else to try it with a better graphics card.

If it isn't my graphics card then .exes dont work on win. 98.

I tried,
DA ChieF
9thlife
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for doing that

Yes I imagine that error was down to the graphics card, I tried running the demo version with an older graphics card of mine under XP and it crashed with the same error.

With my FX5200 and ATI8500 cards tho it worked fine

PLEASE can anybody else help me with these questions? It would strongly influence my decision on whether to buy the EA version or wait 6 months to a year before buying V1 (as by then 98se will be more or less dead as far as games go, whereas right now its clearly not!)

Thanks, Marie
9thlife
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to ask again but does anyone else have any idea as to the answer to my questions? I don't want to both Rich etc with emails...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:07:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:07:39