Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DarkBASIC 3D Visual Mapping Tool - DB Dreamer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 03:51 Edited at: 26th Jul 2005 19:53
DB Dreamer

The DarkBASIC Pro 3D Mapping Tool

DB Dreamer is a DarkBASIC visual mapping tool. The program allows you to visually position, rotate, texture etc. all 3D components in DarkBASIC Pro. After mapping out these things, you can then export the source code which can then be run in DarkBASIC Pro.

Mapping
The program allows users to map out the following things:
-Objects
-Lights
-Sounds
-Matrix

The program also supports the addition of:
-Shaders
-Textures
-Fog

However DB Dreamer does much more than simple mapping. Users also gain access to other options, for example: Changing Light and Fog colours.

To help users map out "invisible" things such as lights and sounds, spheres (for lights), cubes (for sounds & light point directions) can be assigned.

Why do you want this?
It is often hard for DB users to generate game levels, constantly pressing the F5 button, writing down masses of x y and z values and wondering if they have made a mistake in their coding. DB Dreamer solves all of your every day 3D mapping problems. Using DB Dreamer you can create extensive complex 3D levels incorporating all the necassary components.

Screenshots

There is a demo available on http://www.ibse.r8.org or a direct link:

Zip: http://shadows.game-host.org/ibse/dbdreamer.zip
Exe: http://shadows.game-host.org/ibse/DBD.exe

This may not work 24/7 since my webservers are not always online. If you recieve an error message such as: .zip file is corrupt please check that the file size is around 1.5mb as there are sometimes download errors.

I would like to recieve as much feedback as possible. If you can't be bothered to download the zip please comment on the screenshots!

If you would like to see DB Dreamer being sold on TGC's website please post a request!

P.S More screenshots and possibly a video will be coming soon!

IBSE - God We're Good

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 06:30
It looks really good, and easy to use.

I don't have a need for a level editor, but it looks useful.

Attention all squares, Katie Holmes does not endorse D&C.
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 22:13
very nice. I hope you can work hard, but you said demo, so is this final version?
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 00:51 Edited at: 15th Jul 2005 00:52
There are some minor additions and changes that will take place before the final version. We are at the final stages of the program's developement. In the demo version of the program you loose the ability to:
-Save Projects
-Open Projects
-Use the Code Menu

Effectively, this is a test run to see what people think of DB Dreamer. We need as many positive comments as possible to persuade TGC to sell the full version of DB Dreamer on there website.

Any suggestions will be registered and if appropriate will be incorporated into the final version of DB Dreamer.

IBSE - God We're Good

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 03:57
Wow thats well good. I always have trouble mapping stuff out coz i'm more into the 3D side so i cant do anythin with program. thats a huge help! great program!

SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 15:04 Edited at: 15th Jul 2005 15:05
SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Like you read my mind Dream catcher was a very nice book/movie.

Also my comment:

I like it, but I was thinking you could maybe add something like a waypoint editor, movement (That aircraft tis good, but It doesnt move:S) Or something like that. I like everything else wise.
edit: How much would this cost?
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 15:59 Edited at: 15th Jul 2005 15:59
I did think about adding a movement editor so that for example: people can make cut scenes. However, this would take a long time to create. Cost wise,

I think that bettween £10:00 and £15:00 would be a resonable price.

IBSE - God We're Good

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 06:34
Good news! We have finished the final demo and full version of DB Dreamer. You can now buy the full version of DB Dreamer from http://www.ibse.r8.org!

IBSE - God We're Good

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 05:20
Why did, in your screenshots above.. Why does it have a loop at the end, do: loop?

Wouldnt waitkey work better for the purposes of that example?

It looks neat, and looks like it could make doing a game like starcraft/warcraft/command and conquer games well, so long as you could place one model on top the other, so when you build something it starts with (1/3 model, 2/3 model, and completed model etc..)

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 05:52 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 21:25
Quote: "Why did, in your screenshots above.. Why does it have a loop at the end, do: loop?

Wouldnt waitkey work better for the purposes of that example?"

There is no advantage in waitkey, but do loop gives a clear marking to where users are supposed to put the remainder of the code (after the level has been created).

Quote: "so long as you could place one model on top the other, so when you build something it starts with (1/3 model, 2/3 model, and completed model etc..)"

Not sure exactly what you mean.

IBSE - God We're Good

Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 12:14
He means showing the progress of the building or whatever being constructed, I think... either raising up through the ground or appearing piece by piece, etc.
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 16:41
Yup, that's exactly what i meant.

Have 3 different models
one for 1/3 completion of the building
one for half completion
and one for full completion.

Have each of them sitting on top of eachother and hide two while one progresses into the other ones etc... Making it appear to be -building-.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 19:30
Yes this can be done using alpha mapping (setting the transparency of an object)

IBSE - God We're Good

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 07:27 Edited at: 24th Jul 2005 07:28
Hey everyone, I've got some good news! DB Dreamer made it to issue 31 of the TGC newsletter! http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_31.html

IBSE - God We're Good

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 08:59
Wicked

Congrats.

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 13:47
And the link is not working for the web site.

Toshiba,3.2Ghz,ATI Radeon 9000 IGP 128mb,1.2gig of Ram,Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com

http://aoneweb.blogspot.com
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 18:23
The site is not online all the time. It's usually up bettween 8:00am and midnight (offline, 00:01 to 7:59) GMT +0

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 20:10 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 20:13
Just downloaded the demo. Here are a few things I noticed.

When using the position object mode the keys w, s, r, f move it on the same axis when rotated certain ways and a, d, r, f move on the same axis when rotated other ways. You didn't use the move object up, down, left, and right commands did you? As they are thrown off by the object's rotation.

When adjusting the animation speed you need to be able to go up to higher ranges. Some dark matter models require speeds of 5000 or higher. The help files are incorrect when they says the max is 100.

Also when loading objects it would be nice if it was auto picked, as some dark matter objects are too small to see unless scaled up, and if you can't see it then you can't select it to scale it up.

Sometimes objects just disappear when rotating and even if you delete it and reload it you still can't see it. If it does it again I will try the reset camera option to see if it fixes it.

[edit] And if you try to apply a shader without selecting an object you get an object number illegal error and a crash. You may want to safeguard against this.

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 20:59 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 21:00
Thank you for your comments, all of which have been addressed:

Quote: "When using the position object mode the keys w, s, r, f move it on the same axis when rotated certain ways and a, d, r, f move on the same axis when rotated other ways. You didn't use the move object up, down, left, and right commands did you? As they are thrown off by the object's rotation. "

The position object function will now position the object regardless to its rotation.

Quote: "When adjusting the animation speed you need to be able to go up to higher ranges. Some dark matter models require speeds of 5000 or higher. The help files are incorrect when they says the max is 100."

There is now a button below the track bar which allows you to set the max value which the bar will go up to.

Quote: "Also when loading objects it would be nice if it was auto picked, as some dark matter objects are too small to see unless scaled up, and if you can't see it then you can't select it to scale it up."

Objects are now automatically selected when loaded.

Quote: "Sometimes objects just disappear when rotating and even if you delete it and reload it you still can't see it. If it does it again I will try the reset camera option to see if it fixes it."

I have tested the rotation and none of the objects seem to disappear. More information and possibly some screenshots will be required for us to fix this problem.

The updated version can be downloaded in the same way as the previous one.

Hope I helped!

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 21:07
I have downloaded and tested. All seems to be fixed including the disappearing Must have been some other application interferring or you accidently fixed it. I will let you know if it comes back.

In the full version can you randomize or modify the matrix? There doesn't seem to be much point in creating a flat matrix. Or am i missing something?

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 21:10 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 21:11
No, I am working on a proper matrix editor. You are correct; at the moment the matrix menu is more a foundation for the future Matrix editor which will include detailed tile editing.

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 21:12
Ah cool. Looking forward to seeing this completed. I may very well buy it then.

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 21:23 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 21:25
Quote: "[edit] And if you try to apply a shader without selecting an object you get an object number illegal error and a crash. You may want to safeguard against this."

I forgot to add the shader functions to the safeguard code, this is now fixed.

IBSE - God We're Good

KCB
Years of Service
User Offline
I cannot unzip it because my unzipper (I use the one that comes with Windows XP)wants some sort of password . What should I do?

Keaton Brandt
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 19:45 Edited at: 26th Jul 2005 19:48
This is odd but to get around this problem I have placed an .exe available:
http://shadows.game-host.org/ibse/DBD.exe

This should solve the problem!

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 20:48
Quote: "I cannot unzip it because my unzipper (I use the one that comes with Windows XP)wants some sort of password . What should I do?"

That is odd indeed. Possibly a bad download? I can unzip it fine with the one that comes with XP, winrar, and winzip.

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 21:33
Yeah my webservers are pretty unreliable, if this sort of thing happens it is best to try again.

IBSE - God We're Good

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 20:22 Edited at: 27th Jul 2005 20:26
For all those interested this is a demonstration of the soon to come matrix editor in version 2 of DB Dreamer:

Randomize Matrix
Blank unrandomized matrix:

Randomized matrix:

Very randomized matrix:

Well...

As you can see with the matrix randomization tool you can easily manipulate your matrix with the trackbar.

Please note that the final editor will contain much more than just randomization and heightmaps, it will include individual tile editing.

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 07:10
Looking good.

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 07:16
Yeah , I wondered: In order to get the maximum number of people excited about DB Dreamer I should post in the DBP forums. However, would this be breaking some sort of rule?

IBSE - God We're Good

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 11:21
Yeah it is against the rules to double post.

Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 18:46 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 01:13
ah well... Also, another update:

For all those who buy DB Dreamer, there is now a CD version (which is posted to you) as well as an internet download at no extra cost. A helpful Installshield wizard has also been created for both the internet download and the CD version of the full DB Dreamer.

Note:
I'm going away for a few weeks. From 28/7/05 to around 10/8/05 I will be in france and wont be able to reply to any posts within that time period (unless I find an internet cafe of something like that). Good news is the web servers will be on 24/7 within this time period.

IBSE - God We're Good

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 13:40
Will this build a german race track (Nurburgring) and give you the code? for adding it to dbpro.

Looks great well done

life's a game and a games a life More games at www.freewebs.com/halorc
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 00:13
Hey everyone I'm back. France was boring without a decent PC... Anyway back on topic!

Quote: "Will this build a german race track (Nurburgring) and give you the code? for adding it to dbpro."

Yes it can!

IBSE - God We're Good

Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 13:13
I am a bit concerned with this product.. I have purchased it and using it, but it crashes more than 60% on me loading my models, however basic the model may be. Why would this be?

Also... why is db's native format 'DBO' not available - this surprises me lots. I wish to create most of my building models in DeleD, to use the excellent lightmapper - and the dbo exporter in that is really good and works great. However exporting as X is a pain for the lightmapping.

Is there going to be a DBO importer available, and why... and is there a reason why DB Dreamer keeps crashing on model loading

Cheers

Steve
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 16:03 Edited at: 13th Aug 2005 16:07
Quote: "Also... why is db's native format 'DBO' not available - this surprises me lots. I wish to create most of my building models in DeleD, to use the excellent lightmapper - and the dbo exporter in that is really good and works great. However exporting as X is a pain for the lightmapping."

Yes, I've added this in, I'l email you the download link. Also version 2 is now available. Look here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58737&b=5 for more information on version 2, you can upgrade for free. A download link will be emailed to you shortly.

Quote: "but it crashes more than 60% on me loading my models, however basic the model may be. Why would this be?"

Very odd... The program was tested with DarkMATTER Objects and worked fine. DBP 5.8 "load object" command is used to load the objects. I have a few questions to sort your problem:
1. Does it crash when you: Object, Load Object or when opening a saved project?
2. What is the exact error message?
3. Do the errors occurr when loading the object directly into DBP (test for corrupt objects)
4. Try unchecking all the Object menu items and see if the problem happens then.

IBSE - God We're Good

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:36:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:36:44