Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 02:12
Hi everyone and hi to my fellow GCS buddies if your here. I came from using Pie In the Sky GCS and Reality Factory, both of which are now gone. I created a game called Pencil Whipped using the GCS and have abandoned the GCS project for it due to GCS bugs and no-support. I just can't release the game with show stopping bugs. However I'm very interested in re-doing it with FPS Creator. I also dabbled in re-creating Pencil whipped with the Valves Source engine. That engine is way to powerful and bloated for what I want to create in Pencil Whipped. I also tried Reality Factory, but that too has also gone bye bye. I have a few questions though. I've been messing with the AE version. I can't find out how to do the following things (probably simply because I haven't discovered how yet) Angled walls, sloped floors and ceilings, animated sprites, booby traps like closing in walls and moving level geometry. Are these possible?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 21:52
Lon,

Hi and welcome to the FPSC forum.

I remember Pencil Whipped - Very Innovative.

Quote: "Angled walls, sloped floors and ceilings, animated sprites, booby traps like closing in walls and moving level geometry. Are these possible?"

All of the above are possible now in the EA version of FPSC.

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 23:51
I'm not sure If I should wait until version 1 is released or buy the AE version. Will I have to pay additional costs if I get version 1 if I already have AE? Another thing is if I develop a bunch of game content and switch to v1 will I be able to use AE's content or will I have to start over? Sorry for being such a noob.
NestEgg
Years of Service
User Offline
If you buy the EA version, you get v1 free, just have to pay for shipping and handling, v1 should be able to load EA content, we all expect to see v1 soon, in the mean time you can get the EA for the same price, I say go for it.
Lavitz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 04:50
Hmm, NestEgg is right, you should get the EA now, then get V1 without having to pay for the full thing. I have a feeling that if you wait to buy V1, it will cost you more than the EA, not including the shipping and handling costs.

I'm Back in Black!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 04:53
So heres the deal. V1 will NOT be able to load EA maps without trouble. So i advise that you wait untill V1 instead of getting the EA.

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 05:21 Edited at: 24th Jul 2005 05:28
V1 is far far more updated than the ea, just look at the video. Also what gonna happen to the lisence for selling your games for free? I say you should just use the ea to get the hang of the program. Plus who would not want to have physics in there game?

Quote: "v1 should be able to load EA content, we all expect to see v1 soon, in the mean time you can get the EA for the same price, I say go for it. "

Well.......you can't. Unless you're frekeen' stupid and like to waste your time. no offense. I guess from what I've heard you can, but it wont work right. So, yes you will use your all your work unless you ever find a way to do it.

oHH YAH. Its not AE it EA. Please don't be offended. thanks
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 06:10
You have absolutely nothing to loose by buying EA now and you will have the benefit of the experience of using it so you can discover how to do the things you mentioned in your first post. Giving you a head start.

Personally I do not have any indication to suggest that EA levels wont load in V1 though they may require more or less work to get them to do so as in EA.

Hopefully you wont have much time to wait before V1 is released anyway.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 10:23
It is the same software, just with diffrent enhancments...

that is like saying windows xp can't load exe's from windows 3.1

well, bad example

unless lee changed a lot more then upgrades, you SHOULD be able to do it... and I think there is a post some where will lee says you can....

Blasting, Shooting, and Maiming. Aspects of Modern Gamming.
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 11:51
Thanks to everyone! I cherish the advice. I'm sorry for being so paranoid, but I've basically been shot out of the sky in the last couple of years. I created pencil whipped using the GCS. I was in the indi games festival of 2002, got much encouragement from the gaming community while I was there, was in the midst and elbowed with the Rock Star guys, even talked with Will Wright etc etc .. It was a dream come true. everybody knew who I was and knew my game and liked it, hell it was even on Tech TV. Unfortunately the engine I used was simply tossed away by the creator just when I was on a roll. I was stuck with some pretty bad bugs I thought were to be fixed. THE END. Ever since I've been looking for another engine to re-do it. This looks very good for what I need to achieve.
NestEgg
Years of Service
User Offline
I too used GCS, and remember PW very well, but this system will help you go to the next stage, I think you will be happy with the results.
NestEgg
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I cant edit my post untill it's put on this board, and by the time you read this it will be above this one.
This is from Lee's July 23rd diary.
Quote: "Today I worked on bringing EA backwards compatibility support to V1, removed some redundant Mutex support in Beta5 (let us hope it 'was' redundant) and managed to get the scifi level loaded, saved, reloaded, test gamed, build and run as a standalone, all without a hitch now. The only remaining nag was the frame rate was 15fps on my laptop where the EA final game was 30fps. "

So I was right then and not frekeen stupid, what ever frekeen means.
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 10:03
This is good news, I hope Lee manages to get it to work, if not then it would not be too of a big thing to me at this stage, but I am sure it would make a lot of people happy here.

Toshiba,3.2Ghz,ATI Radeon 9000 IGP 128mb,1.2gig of Ram,Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com

http://aoneweb.blogspot.com
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 12:18
Yea, I agree (what ever you said ).

And freeking means, well, its short for F*ck (atleast I think it is, you never can tell anymore).

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 12:25
we know what freeking means, but what does frekeen mean, I got an idea thats what nest egg is trying to get at.

Toshiba,3.2Ghz,ATI Radeon 9000 IGP 128mb,1.2gig of Ram,Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com

http://aoneweb.blogspot.com
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 00:39
Eh? oh, okay.

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 22:03 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 03:02
Hey Lon,
Welcome to the fold. The cost of V1 will be the same as if you had bought the EA version and then upgraded. So if you buy V1 it's not going to cost you more than buying EA and then upgrading to V1. However if you want to buy the EA to try it out for a while, it's worth the cost. The system is fantastic and really puts the GCS to shame.
SoulMan
PS I think the GCS Community needs to just give up and move over here, the grass is much greener.

This is as backwards as is This
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 08:14
accually the primary GCS community is still goin a bit (without its owner) but I'm doing my best to bring them all to terms with what this engine can do along with its ease of use. They want something that's easy as GCS to use and so far this has been top of the line in that catigory. I only wish the personal level building aspects were a bit easier. I'm sure with the segment creator or something like that it will get easier. Oh and BTW -Welcome Lon, ya came to the right place.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:56