Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Problems with the FPSC Segment Editor!!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 02:53
Hi All,

I just wanted to post this message on here to see if anybody has managed to successfully use the segment editor in creating thier own media to use in FPS Creator?!???

I created the 'MyMeshes' in the Meshbank folder, And also the 'MyTextures' in the Texturebank folder...
But everytime I click on the 'Mesh' button to bring up the FPSC Browser.. I get this:

Runtime Error 8003 - Could not find path at line 1737

I assume that the FPSC Segment Editor 'exe' file has to be in a certain folder in order for it to correctly find the folder(s) in question here! My assumption was the main root directory where FPS Creator is located!

This is where I installed FPS Creator on my system:

E:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator

So my assumption was that I must put 'FPSC Segment Editor' into this main root directory?!??

Did I do this right? If not, Can someone please tell me where I need to place the FPSC-Segments.exe file at in order for it to function correctly? Id' sure appreciate it if anybody could help!

A many thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 03:24
There is no support for the segment editor for it is not going to be in v1 because of too many bugs. You'll have to find your own way around these errors. I cant even get the segment editor to open up without getting an erorr message.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 11:49
It works fine for me... try reinstalling windows...

Blasting, Shooting, and Maiming. Aspects of Modern Gamming.
Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 14:35 Edited at: 24th Jul 2005 14:43
Quote: "There is no support for the segment editor for it is not going to be in v1 because of too many bugs."

Can you please post a link to where it say's that? And also, If the current segment editor isn't going to be used in order to create custom segments for games, Then I assume that TGC has a better one that they developed to replace this current existing one I assume?!??

Quote: "You'll have to find your own way around these errors."

How can anybody expect to solve errors in this program when they don't have the source code to it? You can't fix the errors in the segment editor (if there really is any that is..) without having the source code in order to debug it!! And I don't believe TGC is willing to just hand over the source code to this segment editor!
There isn't any work-arounds to this problem dude!!
You can't work around program 'BUGS'!!! At least not like this at any rate!!

Quote: "I cant even get the segment editor to open up without getting an erorr message."

Well... Have you at least put the segment editor itself in the root directory of FPS Creator?!??? Try placing it there! Then you'll at least be able to run the darn thing!!

@ Merranvo

Quote: "It works fine for me... try reinstalling windows..."

Reinstalling windows???? Com on' man!! Windows has nothing to do with this!! This is the application itself here!! If it works so perfectly for you, Then maybe you would care to explain in Detail step by step, How exactly it works for you. And give clear examples showing why! I hate to tell you this man... But that was a very cheesy reply to this post! Im' a certified PC Technicain, And I can honestly tell you that reinstalling windows will not solve this problem here.. Try to give a reply that will actually make some sense..

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 18:12
The Segment Editor was only released because of high demand for it - it is not guarenteed to work, since it is classified as 'underground' because of its bugs. If you just want to make new entities, use the method that is explained in just about every second post in the media board AND this board. If you want to actually make segments, well, that's a different issue - that you'll just have to live with. I tried a million times to get the segment editor to work in the root directory, and in other places, yet not once would it. I'm not sure what you will do, but at least for now, you'll have to live without it.

Last night I was looking up at the stars and said "Where the hell is my roof?!"
Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 19:16
It would seem that a logical answer to this issue would be to give us users the spec's on segment creation, And to have some sort of converter utility program that will convert our mesh's into the needed segments we need in order to use them in our games. Why would TGC advertise then that we can include our own media into our own FPSC games, And then to find out that we actually can't! That right there will be a big turn off! But I don't know?! They might have a better editor now with 'V1' update coming out. I guess we will have to wait and see huh?

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 03:00 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 03:03
It would seem further logical for you to just LOOK at the FPE's. It is really simple. Expecally because all you have to do to create "segments" (which are NOT complete models that you come by but small models used to build a big model) is replace the model name and texure name... VERY EASY. Segment editor gives you a picture for it, and a few other options too.

And to look at your outburst.

Quote: "Reinstalling windows???? Com on' man!! Windows has nothing to do with this!! This is the application itself here!! "

You know nothing about this. Windows RUNS the software, if the software works good on some peoples machiens then it is only NATURAL that windows should be a major player. I can go on about memory drains, potential problems, holes, bugs. But I won't. You have NO idea what is on your system.

Quote: "If it works so perfectly for you, Then maybe you would care to explain in Detail step by step, How exactly it works for you. And give clear examples showing why! I hate to tell you this man... But that was a very cheesy reply to this post!"

I don't think it was cheesy at all. You have a thread full of people who can't get it to work. They give up, and never try it again. The files are SUPOSE to go in the FPSC folder, then you run it. It works. Very good.

Quote: "Im' a certified PC Technicain, And I can honestly tell you that reinstalling windows will not solve this problem here.. Try to give a reply that will actually make some sense."

Ohhh.... I like that topic. Did you know, that "cerified PC Techs" are actually getting very low ratings? Mainly because the Techs that are hired don't know their stuff. In a article that came out 2 months ago several "PC Tech" companys were rated. The results weren't good. Some Techs came underprepared and only fixed the minor problems. Some couldn't find a faulty wire that caused the fan to short out. And once again. Reinstalling windows will fix 70% of all software problems.

P.S. Do you know what DOS is?
P.S.S. Do you know what GUI is?
P.S.S.S. Can you work DOS as well as the GUI?
P.S.S.S.S. THEN LOOK AT THE FPES!

Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 15:42
Merranvo (Yet Again!!!)

Quote: "It would seem further logical for you to just LOOK at the FPE's."

Ahem! Already did that dude.. But I looked at the .FPS file instead considering that it is a segment file that the segment editor reads.
So... I already did that one already! I do go beyond the regular bondies man.

Quote: "It is really simple. Expecally because all you have to do to create "segments" (which are NOT complete models that you come by but small models used to build a big model)"

I already know & understand the differences between segments & a complete world map model. Give me a break here.. Im' not an idiot!

Quote: "replace the model name and texure name... VERY EASY."

So basically speaking here! You just switch out thier model segments with your own & add your own textures along with it, right?
But still you say in your reply that you use your own names? So if you are just merely adding your own models & texture maps as segments, How can you honestly say that your using the segment editor for all of this if your switching out the media with your own, And adding your own names? I thought you said in a previous post-reply that you managed to successfully use the segment editor?!??

Quote: "And to look at your outburst.

Quote: "Reinstalling windows???? Com on' man!! Windows has nothing to do with this!! This is the application itself here!! "

You know nothing about this. Windows RUNS the software, if the software works good on some peoples machiens then it is only NATURAL that windows should be a major player. I can go on about memory drains, potential problems, holes, bugs. But I won't. You have NO idea what is on your system."

I know nothing about this? Oh that's extremely funny dude..
No... I don't have a foggy idea about what im' doing.. I only have like 20+ years experience as a certified PC technician.. A+ Certified, Net+ Certified, MCSA Certified, MCDBA Certified, MCSE Certified... Why Noooooo... I wouldn't have a foggy clue about how windows works.... I've only went to school for like 5 years aquiring my certifications.. You are the one who doesn't know dude!! You should research people before telling them that they don't know what the heck they are doing.
And also... Windows XP Pro on my machine runs very well, And all my applications run fine too, Except for 'FPSC Segment Editor'.. So there!! If the majority of all the applications on a persons system are running fine without any problems. Then it goes to prove that it isn't the Windows OS that is the problem here.. Like I said before man... It's the application here!!
Plus anyways... To your own words here.. "if the software works good on some peoples machiens" Like you just said there.. "Some peoples machines" Some meaning only a few of them.. Not all of them! Even you also realize that there are a bigger majority of users out there that have problems running the FPSC Segment editor on thier machines which further proves to my arguement here that it isn't the windows OS in question here, But the Application once more!

Quote: "I can go on about memory drains, potential problems, holes, bugs. But I won't."

About the segment editor... I can appreciate that!

Oh!! And this one here really makes me laugh:

Quote: "You have NO idea what is on your system"

Yeah... I sure don't man... mmmm.. hmmmm.. I sure don't have a clue at all in the world..

Quote: "I don't think it was cheesy at all. You have a thread full of people who can't get it to work."

I think it was cheesy!! And to your own words once more... It's the application man!!! Not the windows OS here! How can it be the windows OS if so many users like you just said here can't get it to work on their systems too? I suppose all of them don't know & have a clue either what's on thier systems either, right? Let's everybody Re-install windows again and see if it works the second time around!

Quote: "The files are SUPOSE to go in the FPSC folder, then you run it. It works. Very good."

Hmmmm... I think if you've actually read my earlier post above, You'll notice that I DID place the segment editor into the main root directory of FPSC.. Soooooo... I already have been there & done that along time ago! So what your telling me & the others on here isn't nothing new. And the majority of users here.. It doesn't WORK AT ALL!! And it's not very good to the majority of the user base here!

Quote: "Ohhh.... I like that topic. Did you know, that "cerified PC Techs" are actually getting very low ratings?"

Only the ones that haven't done thier homework I agree.. Thoes certain PC tech's don't even really know what the heck they want out of life! But there are also alot of really good ones too that have done thier work, Plus have also demonstrated thier abilities!
I seen a so-called A+ certifield PC Technician up at Compaq Computer Corp. When it used to exist as an individual company, Show off his A+ Certificate in the orientation class room. But soon as he was brought out to the configuration dept. He didn't have a clue as to where to start?!?? He was taking a audio cable & inserting it into a USB port! He supposely had the book smarts. But he lacked the actual experience that he should of had. So yes I agree with you on some of that. Not everone of them that say's they are a pc technician. Are actaully a PC tech. But there are alot of them that are like me that has done thier homework because I had a natural passion to want to learn the field.

Quote: "Mainly because the Techs that are hired don't know their stuff."

Like I said, The ones that don't really know what the heck they want out of life & haven't done thier homework either!

Quote: "In a article that came out 2 months ago several "PC Tech" companys were rated. The results weren't good. Some Techs came underprepared and only fixed the minor problems."

Like I said earlier to this effect... They haven't done thier homework!!

Quote: "Some couldn't find a faulty wire that caused the fan to short out."

Most problems like that one you just mentioned there normally dealt with in the fasion of that they just replace the entire fan with a newer one. You'll find that most companies don't want alot of thier time & money wasted on a PC tech to hunt-down and find that the cause was just a mere faulty wire as you so put it! Most customers want their stuff up & running as quickly as possible.. Time is of the essence here! It's far more easier to replace the entire fan than to take alot of time trying to repair a wire that might just go bad again! Plus it's more cost effective too! Time is money man!
A PC technician that normally knows a little something in the field also knows about customer satisfaction & business matters too! They both go hand & hand in todays industry.

Quote: "P.S. Do you know what DOS is?"

Answer: Disk Operating System

Quote: "P.S.S. Do you know what GUI is?"

Graphical User Interface

Quote: "P.S.S.S. Can you work DOS as well as the GUI?"

I've worked DOS long ago before a GUI was even born! And a GUI is nothing more than a wrapper ontop of DOS. The first company to successfully create the GUI was Apple. then Commodore Business Machines followed afterwards.. Then eventually the PC market caught onto it as well... Dude.. I go all the way back to the early days when everthing was ran under DOS... My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 with 4k of ram & a tape drive.

Quote: "P.S.S.S.S. THEN LOOK AT THE FPES!"

And as was mentioned earlier yet again!!! I already been there & done that!!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 16:02
Uhhhh...

cromwell games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 19:46
Doing my best to drag this post back to the original

The Segment Editor is quite a pain to use but it can be used to make new segments. I've built plenty The things I have noticed most about it's operation is that it is expecting you to put all your files in a similar format to the resources provided with the EA Realease. Try recreating their directory structure exacty. Also name your textures using their naming convention.

So in "texturebank\mynewgame\floors\wood" you could put a file called F_a_01_D2.dds you can then make random textures appear by incrementing the 01 in the filename. I assume this means Segment editor is expecting that exact format.

I also found that I needed to export my .x models with the full texture file path embedded.

Hope this helps some,

Phil

http://www.cromwellgames.co.uk
phil@cromwellgames.co.uk
cromwell games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 21:36
I just read your original post again, maybe also the segment editor was created to find its media from an absolute path. In which case it might need to be installed in

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator

Rather than

E:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator

Just a thought,

Phil

http://www.cromwellgames.co.uk
phil@cromwellgames.co.uk
Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 05:24
Thank's man..

This was the kind of helpful information I was originally asking for. Not the kind of information telling me to reinstall windows again when I knew that it had nothing to do with the windows OS at all.. Thank's alot cromwell games.. I wish everybody could be as helpful as you are.

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 12:19
I really don't understand why you broke my post down but answered simaly...

I generally have a backup which I put in every month, my system seems to work a LOT better after that, so I blame Windows. (I do have spyware searchers and virus scanners, it just seems that processes accumulate and get it skrewed up, expecally with unsecure networks)

I do use the segment editor, but only to take pictures or to delete certain segements, after that it is just a waste of time. So I open the FPE and type in the models path, texture path, and location.

"You have NO idea what is on your system"
I was refering to spyware, adware, any other thing that goes undetected. It is a near impossiblity to get 100% blocked, (or so I've heard) so I would assume that it might also cause problems.

It actually might still be windows, I've only tested on Home SP1... I hardly use it and I haven't used it since...

Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 14:55
Merranvo

Quote: "I really don't understand why you broke my post down but answered simaly..."

Man... All I was trying to do is prove a point here is all!

Quote: "I generally have a backup which I put in every month, my system seems to work a LOT better after that, so I blame Windows. (I do have spyware searchers and virus scanners, it just seems that processes accumulate and get it skrewed up, expecally with unsecure networks)"

Well... You can't really blame windows if you surf to all kinds of different websites out there. You doing that is just asking for it! New Spyware/Adware & virus's come out everyday on a regular basis and thus can get on your computer undetected by your most up to date Anti-Spyware/Adware programs & Anti-Virus scanners. And of course processes will accumulate rapidly by doing such surfing habits as thoes mentioned, And yes your computer will slow down to a snails crawl.. Unsecured networks can cause issues like you said. But I have found that the best protection against Spyware/Adware & Virus's getting on your system is to visit only thoes websites that you know you can trust the most! I realize that sounds a little cheesy on my part there. But I have found it to work very well for me and my family on our home network.

Quote: "I do use the segment editor, but only to take pictures or to delete certain segements, after that it is just a waste of time. So I open the FPE and type in the models path, texture path, and location."

You see... This is what should of originally been said earlier in this post when I was asking for advice from anybody here.. Merranvo... You are quite possibly the most experienced FPSC User here concerning scripting & other things related to FPSC. And quite alot of people on here come to you for advice, And ask you questions concerning FPSC because of the reputation you have built here! That is why it just blows my mind when you say certain things in a thread such as this one! when somebody ask's for specific & detailed instructions 'step by step', They should get exactly that! When you say something like "It windows!! reinstall your OS!" That doesn't answer the question(s) that was presented, Nor does it help anybody! Answer the question or questions exactly as they are presented like you just did now! Im' not meaning to offend you man. I just think a person as knowledgeable as yourself should respond accordinly in a very logical manner as you have now!

Quote: ""You have NO idea what is on your system"
I was refering to spyware, adware, any other thing that goes undetected. It is a near impossiblity to get 100% blocked, (or so I've heard) so I would assume that it might also cause problems."

Ok... I do apologize then! I assumed you was referring that I had no idea as to what im' doing. My bad!

Quote: "It actually might still be windows, I've only tested on Home SP1... I hardly use it and I haven't used it since..."

Oh man!! Well in that case, It might actually be windows then! You should upgrade to SP2 for Home then. SP2 is alot more stable than SP1 is.

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 15:21
I have updated to SP2... I just didn't get the cd when I was using the segment editor...

I really need to take a break from these topics... building a smack Merranvo button, help apreciated...

Yes... I do get arrogant, sort of the thing that happens when you don't get a good slap in the head in a long time. I really need to stop trying to win battles against Compu Techs, doesn't bold well for me at all.

One of the reasons I blame windows for errors is because it keeps trying to make things I NEVER want to use, like that security center, screwed with McAfee before I saw the message box on turning it off. If Windows would do what I bought it to do and nothing more, I would have less of a problem with it then I do now. But they give me all this stuff that I don't want. RUN the software and don't question my motives.

(I have AdAware and SpyBot (full hosts file, and immunization) I am seeing about getting counter spy, which is reported to be one of the best Adware removers. I don't understand HOW you can live, only surfing the web on known sites... it is UNETHICAL. )

P.S. (I noticed a error that seems to only occur after SP2 is installed, or it just might be me, but I don't like to wait for windows MP 10 to load, so I typically assign the mp 7 (in the mp 10 directory) to MID, WAV, and MP3... but the open and play commands don't show up, I check the File Type tab and they ARE associated, but it would seem that MP 10 has some sort of hold over it...)

socrates
Years of Service
User Offline
The path error is due to the fact that the exe file is looking for a file that doesn't exist in the absolute path listed in the program. If your exe file in is the fpsc root directory, it's in the rght place. However, the file that it's looking for (chances are it's the ones in \Files\languagebank\english\textfiles\) may not be there, which would generate the error.

The segments editor must be in the root directory of the game, yes, but so do the other files. You have to copy ALL the files to the root directory of FPSC. When you do this, it will give you a warning that "there is allready a folder named files" and ask if you want to overwrite any files with duplicate names. Select "yes" (there are no duplicate files listed--it just creates a new directory named "languagebank").

Once you do that, the segment editor should work (sort of).

"Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!?"
-- Bill Gates, 1981
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 12:28 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 12:29
Dr. Who - You still don't seem to have noticed what was on my previous post from way back. When I said you can't import segments I was wrong. You can. And as for TGC saying you can import models when you can't - you can. You can easily import entities, through modifying the path of scripts (which Marranvo has already said). I can't excactly remember how to import segments, but it would be very much the same, with a script for the segment (i think). I know segments work because Noldor released a dirt tunnelsegment a few months back. I personally never tried it but I know it works.

EDIT: On second notice, I just realised how utterly old this thread is - and how pointless that makes this post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:49