Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Some more questions for you veterans

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 18:02
I'm still messing with the EA trial. I’ve searched the forums and couldn't find answers to these: Is there a particle system we can use in FPSC for stuff like smoke trails, explosions etc? Is there an ability to have sprite enemies instead of 3d ones? There are some situations in my game that require them (as old school as sprite enemies are). I do suppose I could still use a 3D enemy that is a rectangular box with a sprite projected on it that always faces the player and alpha transparency everything around the enemy and do texture changes for animations.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 18:14 Edited at: 1st Aug 2005 18:15
Quote: "Is there a particle system we can use in FPSC for stuff like smoke trails, explosions etc?"

No there aren't. But there is decals in the program you can use wich is animated(Fire, Smoke and some other decals you can use for effects withing your game).

Quote: "s there an ability to have sprite enemies instead of 3d ones?"

I don't think so, Fpsc is ment to be used for 3D games

Visit PanzerGames here
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 20:25 Edited at: 1st Aug 2005 20:27
Lon,
I remember playing Pencil Whipped. Ahhh the years that have gone by. Sorry to say, no you can't do Sprites. Maybe if Lee were nice enough maybe he could put that in at a later date. Why not do Pencil Whipped: Origami? As far as particles, I thought you could do particles but apparently not. That's something else we will need to ask Lee about. While FPSCreator doesn't have some of the features that GCS has just yet, remember, Lee is not Kevin Stokes. Lee understands what it takes to make a good engine that works without having him to beg for stuff(Like Physics!) Heck even Kevin had a BA in Physics and he never got that kind of stuff into the GCS. We had to have John Worsham around just to get a better AI and Lighting system in.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Unknown 005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 22:38
as of now, the only way you could make a 2D game would be projected sprites like you said. we really should get lee to put in support for 2d sprite based games!
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 22:52
Hey Soulman, nice to talk to you agian after all these years Yeah, my latest version of the GCS Pencil Whipped actually uses models instead of sprites. They are flat cut-out and animated and look real freaky. If you want to see that version it can still be downloaded here. http://www.fileplanet.com/64011/60000/fileinfo/Pencil-Whipped-Demo

However some of them are still sprites, like Jasper the boss monster on level 3. He just looked more crazy like that. Like I say, I think I can simulate sprites by putting them on a thin rectangle model and alpha masking the rest of the rectangle. Still, I think this is the one for a PW re-make. It just makes sense.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 23:15
I see no reason why you cannot use the decal features of FPSC to introduce sprites into your game. They will of course require an .x file - though visually I dont see that they would have to differ visually from any sprite in accepted sense of the term.

They can support transparency, they can be flat (ish), they can turn to face the player, they can be animated or not, effectively a sprite.

Additionally - they can indeed hurt the player (on contact) - though making them look like an enemy (character) would only be possible at some distance for obvious reasons, and getting them to shoot at you (or appear to shoot at you) for instance would be somewhat difficult to say the least. It would certainly require some trickery with scripting and alike and I am not really sure that such would be possible at all.

A job for some one who has spare time to try and achieve it.

If you want to see what you can do with decals the best default one to look at I would think is the teleporter one - The floor mounted one. I took that as a basis to study and looked at the way it was set up to create my forcefields which are though much larger being one full wall tile width and height.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:03:41