Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Multiplayer and Singleplayer in one game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 22:52
Hi,
Is it possible to make a game where the menu gives you the option of multiplayer and singleplayer?
I think I read somewhere you had to select the type of game at the start ...
I've searched but can't find anything.
Can it be done?
Thanks in advance,
James

This post wast made by JamesEvs.
Darth Vad3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope. When you start FPSC you have an option of Multi or Single. You get an exe for every map. EG: de_dust.exe only plays de_dust.

"You Don't Know the Power, of the Dark Basic" -Vader
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 23:41
Are you on the test team?

Formerly I was CDBGames, and formerly to that i was Duke Nukem, and even more formerly to that
I was Punk Rock 101. Got it?
Darth Vad3r
Years of Service
User Offline
No but (I think) Rick explained it on one of his posts.
I'd love to be on the test team but I don't have alot of spare time.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 02:02
In V1 only MP games are restricted to single map (level) game executables.

A Single Player game can have multiple maps (Levels) as with EA and as would be the norm for any game.

The choice you refer to is when you fire up the FPSC editor - you can choose to create MP or Single Player levels. When you choose to build a game using an MP level map then there it automatically allows only one level to be included in the game as opposed to allowing many for a A single player game compile. As far as I can ascertain from Beta Testing you can also create level map as single player and then change that over to MP later or vice versa. I dont see anything preventing that. However you would need at least to add a player start manually to MP type level to make it an a SP game (engine I believe would add one anyway if you forgot) and in the case of an SP map you wanted to make into a MP game then the editor will simply remove from your final Build options and the compile anything illegal to MP. e.g no Physics would be applied and so on.

As to having a choice to run an MP or SP map from inside an active game that is not currently possible in V1. Your game is either compiled as one or the other.

i.e. MP one level (one map) SP More than one level (map) if you wish.

Hope that explains it.
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 10:10
From looking at what can be done, since this will be MP's first time out, there is room for improvement. I think Lee at some point will make it so you can have multiplayer and single player combined. I have seen a few games out there that seperate MP and SP. Soldier of Fortune II was one of them(I dare anyone to challenge me at that game. I was once ranked the 1,000th best player in the world out of 32,000) So this may not be as bad as it would sound. I would like to see the option to select different maps from one Multiplayer game.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
JamesEvs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 11:04
Ok thanks for your replies.
I don't see to much of a problem with switching games for multiplayer or single player - have a look at half-life 2/half-life 2 deathmatch - that turned out ok!
Thanks again,
James

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 19:51
You should be able to be on the main menu with two options. Single player and multiplayer. Choose multiplayer and it would go to another menu that you can select between your maps. There should be room for at least ten maps in that menu. Select a map and your on to your game. That would be nice in v1, if not,in v2 or an update.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 19:55 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 19:55
But the real question is why do you need that?

If you are making a professional game, then mabey, but it doesn't compare to the glory of a professional MP game. Besides, I don't want to have to make a MP map and a SP game.

Merranvo, taking over the net, one forum at a time.
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 20:22
I really do believe Lee should integrate the two together. We should also have the ability to change maps from within Multiplayer or choose multiple maps. I'm not sure why this can't be done.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 21:04
I bet they could be integrated easily with DarkBASIC, just like with an intro movie!

Why do today what you could have someone else do?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Visit our site at http://www.freewebs.com/pyramidproductions!
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 21:37
the thing is that they are 2 different programs... for effecancy Lee split them up.

Merranvo, taking over the net, one forum at a time.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 12:12
As SarusX said, if you can make a menu in DarkBASIC you can intergrate them together - just make it launch single player when you click that button and another menu to display the maps (exes really) and link them to the seperate maps - simple!

JamesEvs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 14:03
Yep .. you could create a menu on any program that allowed linking to exe files really ...

Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
If you're good enough, you could write a program so if you click sp, it runs the singleplayer exe, and the same for mp.
Pantaloon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 06:02
Star Wars Jedi Knight II had completely seperate programs for SP and MP
i found it kind of annoying but it didnt hurt. If the game is good enough people wont mind if its slightly inconvenient.

PM - The time to think and sleep

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-01 10:14:57
Your offset time is: 2024-07-01 10:14:57