Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Gadget Gear: Full-featured 2D action platformer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 00:16
About 5 years ago I started making this game (in a different BASIC language on the Macintosh). I recently dug it up and decided to convert it to DBPro. I have actually had success, and am just about ready to give it out. It was my second game I ever made, and is loaded with features like multiple weapons, many different gadgets including a grappler hook and a rocket pack, enemy robots, force fields, etc. The graphics are not outstanding, but keep in mind that I started making them when I was 13 years old...pixel by pixel. I just thought that some people might appreciate this, or maybe get some nostalgia from it, so I will be giving it out for free, including the source code, if there is any interest in it. I have had trouble saving screenshots of it, but I got this one with the old print screen/paste method:

I will be posting the game, including a full mission editor, as soon as I fix a couple bugs.

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 19:06
I luv mega man games. How did you get 104 fps with 2d? Looks nice but can we see some more screens?

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 21:09
Welcome back, Bolt Game looks fairly interesting, it'd be way cool to look at the source tho', I suck at 2d and this would probally help a lot

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 11:30
Nice to see you back Bolt,
this looks good!

I'd be interested

Katie Holmes does not endorse D&C or Drew Cameron.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 05:19
Well, I'm not exactly back yet...still at home. Just a few weeks left...

Hey, I'm glad there is some interest in this game. I was hoping my work wouldn't go to waste. I'm on an unbelievably slow connection, so there isn't a chance of me uploading it until I get back to school. I'll try to get some more screenshots. Can anyone help me with a screenshot routine for DBPro? When I try to grab the image from bitmap 0, then use "save image" the program crashes...I have the newest update, as far as I know.

@ Blazer: Actually, I have improved the fps even more. It usually runs around 170 fps on my 1.6 ghz centrino with 512 mb ram and a 32 mb radeon 9600. I am pasting images for the walls and floors, and using sprites for the rest. I just made it as effecient as possible. If there is a lot of stuff going on it drops down to about 120 fps. It should run fine on most computers.

I'll be glad to give the source away. As soon as I get back to school, in early September, I'll upload everything. Then I can help you guys out too if you have any questions on the source.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 18:07
Alright, I finally got back to school. Here is the full version of the game, in DBPro source code form. There is also a complete level editor.

http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/GadgetGear.zip

Here are the basic controls:
Arrows - move left and right/swing left and right on grappler
Up - Jump/Go up ladder/Press while in air to use rocketpack
Down - Duck/Go down ladder
Shift - Take out/Take back in grappler

[Insert/Home/Pg Up/Delete/End/Pg Dn] - select 1 of 6 charges
1-9 - select ammo type

Left mouse button - Fire weapon
Right mouse button - Pick up energy, open barrier, etc
Scroll wheel - Select weapon, click to use previously used weapon

There are a few more controls, but I have to go. I'll post later with more detailed instructions on the game, sorry. Have fun

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 23:32
o_O Downloading...

I need some lessons in effecient 2Dness so i'll be looking at teh codez

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:40:05
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:40:05