Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Server Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 18:59
I don\'t exaxtly know where to post this question. But say I want an MMORPG but I only have 1 server which allow 10 people to play. Could I buy 999 more and enable 10,000 to play the one game, or would I only be able to use 1 server?
I really want ot know if it\'s possible to use multiple servers for a single game so I can have more then 8 people play at a time, and since I know squat about servers I thought I\'d ask you.
Thanks for your help!

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

FPSC HEAR OUR PLEA, GIVE US MORE MODEL FORMATS AND SET US FREE!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 23:33 Edited at: 6th Aug 2005 23:37
I am no expert either but I doubt that you will successfully overdide what FPSC MP is designed to do and the way in which MP is designed to function in V1.

Max 8 players are allowed and thats what you could achieve from any single game connection. No matter how many servers or single games you have going on anywhere they would be isolated - I dont see that there is any way you could integrate anything to let them join a single game. Thats not the way it works. You can change your MP script file so that it indicates a Max No of players - though I am not sure if the engine itself - i.e. the source code has the restriction of 8 players built in anyway (so it would overide above 8 players setting) as no one is privy to the source except Lee and perhaps some other TGC officials.

Furthermore FPSC MP is capped at 8 players so that gameplay is kept at a sensible figure to allow for fast paced gameplay. Increasing this figure would in any case reduce the speed of your game dramatically for every additional player who entered a game. Realistically the idea of more than 8 players is a non starter for 10.....

There are many other factors involved currently too - not least of all the small World Game Size of FPSC which would make the place very crowded, not to mention even with the current world size the more you fill it with world objects i.e. the more complex the content - The slower your game will be. This is not the Unreal engine and you will have to design your MP game with some sense of perspective.

Later versions - then who knows as undoubtedly there will be additions/upgrading of MP and perhaps the engine overall which may provide futher enhancement.

Lavitz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 00:04
I believe that in the future the FPSC you can allow 20 or more at a time.

Treetops and Timber!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 00:23
drats, but if each additional person in the game makes the game run slower, then I wonder how games like Runescape found a way to have 2000 people at a time?

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 00:52
I can explain this!!!

FPS' send data for every place at once (well almost that much).

RPG's send data for a small section, this can be done since you can't see horizontally. or have fog...

Merranvo, taking over the net, one forum at a time.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 02:07
oh, so I would have to make an RPG. Drats! I wanted to make aN MMFPS. I guess theres probably no way I could do this right?

Darth Vad3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait, BUY a server? You mean you have to buy a server and can't host one?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 10:30
Darth Vad3r, I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy a server to play an MP game - i just think he was referring to having 999 servers.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 22:53
well, I'd rather pay for a new comp (really good one) and use it for the server and make a process that users could register a player and have it connect to my server, then we wouldn't need to deal with all the anoying things that happen with hosting servers.

which reminds me, does someone know of a website I could go to find out about equitment they use in game studios (like the animation thing they used for Americas Army, and that mesh machine thing that came out a while ago?)

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 16:42
lol, last night I stumbled on this download unexpectedly, try it out, it's exactly what I want! (With a Redwall theme tho)

I wouldn't really care about the multiple veiws, I could settle with it only being first person.

http://www.download.com/Knight-Online/3000-7541_4-10422647.html?tag=lst-0-1

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 22:20
Bump

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-01 10:28:48
Your offset time is: 2024-07-01 10:28:48