Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Snake Eggs 2D game done

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 02:09
To all you fellow game programmers,

I have just finished a Dark Game SDK version of one of my old TRS-80 programs, “Snake Eggs,” from the late 1970’s. It is a snaky version of the card game Blackjack. Here, snakes roll eggs to represent the card numbers drawn. It’s a trivial game but it uses interesting 2D animated graphics and could serve as an example of DG SDK C++ programming. The game (1 MB) alone can be downloaded and/or the complete Microsoft Visual C++.NET 2003 source code (1.8 MB) can be downloaded. These files are zipped using RAR. The address is:

http://www.leochristopherson.com/snake_eggs_2d.htm

Please give me feedback, if you are so inclined.

Leo Christopherson
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 07:49
I love your avatar... I haven't seen the "Dancing Demon" in a long, long time. (obviously since it was on the TRS-80)
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 10:16
I love how you implimented the history of the original on your website, I liked thoose scans is that how you still do it?

CHRIS 037
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 17:43
Hi Grog G.
Actually, I do plan on an updated version of Dancing Demon. (I also have an old DOS / C version that works fairly well, though I have to recompile it in QuickC to slow it down a lot before it's usable.) When I find my original work up papers for Demon, Bee-Wary, and Duelin' Droids. I'd like to update them. It only takes about two weeks to do smaller scale games like these, thanks to the power of the Dark programming functions. I'm enjoying doing these old programs over again, and I look at it partly as a way to gain programming experience again before launching into the world of 3D games. I'd like to do Valkyrie and Mountain King and perhaps Klendathu and Crooked House in 3D. We'll see... my programming has to be worked in between teaching duties. It's a bit difficult to squeeze out a few uninterrupted weeks.

Hi Osiris,
I was hoping that someone would find the old paperwork of interest. Back in those days (late 1970's) the entire computer's memory was a bit less than 16 K. It was feasable to plan out my BASIC and machine code on paper since programs couldn't get very large. The whole program might just be 10 - 12 sheets. Much of my time went to trying to figure out shorter code routines, with memory so precious. But I don't do that anymore. Things are way to complex for that and memory size is really no big consideration. I do sketch out some graphics ideas on paper, but the pixel count is too high to do full paper layouts these days.

Thanks for your responses,

Leo Christopherson
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 21:54
Cool, its really neat having a super experienced programmer here!

CHRIS 037
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 01:16
Gosh, thanks!!
But would you still feel that way after you ploughed through a tangle of my C++ code?

Chris
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 01:59
Wouldant understand it...hehe, only tried C and I made alot of word games only with them lol because I dont want to spend 600$ on visual studio and I could only use dev C++.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 06:33 Edited at: 11th Aug 2005 06:37
Quote: "Actually, I do plan on an updated version of Dancing Demon. (I also have an old DOS / C version that works fairly well, though I have to recompile it in QuickC to slow it down a lot before it's usable.) When I find my original work up papers for Demon, Bee-Wary, and Duelin' Droids. I'd like to update them."

Cool! Please let us know when you make a new version of your classic programs. They bring back so many good memories for me.
CHRIS 037
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 07:12
You bet, Grog, I'll post a message. It's great to know people remember those old games of mine.

And Osiris,

I'm not sure how many forum members could take advantage of the sort of thing I'm going to mention, but it's worth mentioning anyway. I've noticed a few other members echo your comment that $600.00 for MS Visual Studio.NET is just too steep. Well, yes, it is very expensive.

However, I and all our Park University Computer Science students can download the entire thing (and the whole MSDN help library as well) for free through a special license agreement with Microsoft. My thought is that maybe some other forum programmers who also happen to be students in high school or college should check to see if their schools have made such arrangements for them too. Just a thought...

(As it happens, I did pay $300.00 for my original Visual Studio during the MS half-price initial offer. Since then, I've taken advantage of the Park U. download to update my .NET stuff.)

Chris
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 07:21
Well for some reason our school probably didnt do that because there is no need for it and if they did I wouldant know who to goto to ask.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:56:30
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:56:30