Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Shadow Casting.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 04:00
The shadow shading command in DBpro is slow like hell! My framerate drops from 60fps to 12fps when it is on.

Does anyone has a any good tutorial to cast shadow manually?

Thanks!
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 04:35
well there is one that GuyS made a good while back, but isn't exactly a real shadow - just squishes a duplicate mesh to the floor, its kinda hard to get real shadows within pro without a texture projection ability.

i mean you can project a texture (which you'd actually make the vectorised shadow from) but - you can't achieve it on things suchas Matrix and over object is bloody complex because you have to use the same UV Map and plot on that rather than assigning a second map and then blending the two that way

guess you'll just have to wait really (^_^) unless someone feel's upto the takes of making a texture projection routine. I mean i could make one with a Shader, but almost no one would be able to use it making it kinda redundant lol

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 06:11
Thanks! But when you said about texture projection, do you mean something like decal?

I heard of the techniques of squashing a duplicate mesh. But I heard this methods produce a lot of unnecessary overhead. It that true?

Thanks!

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 15:28
well squishing the mesh will double the polycount, but as you don't texture you colour it - really doesn't require as much processing power as you'd think. But still when used in large ammounts will slug everything.

texture projection is oftenly used for decal placements, its effective a simple technique - you take a second UV Map of the world models, from the position of the texture, you then place the texture in proportion on all surfaces.
Finally you then do a transform blend which checks the UV of the first map, checks them of the second and then adverages them together and blends based on Vertex position

a technique used quite ofently for quicker positional shadows using projection, is to take where the light is comming from - do a quick buffer render of the model as white on a black background then on the floor the projection is an inverse Nth alpha'd image from the buffer
get sharp shadows as stencil, but without as much of the cost. But they still do take up a good ammount of processor power (^_^)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:51:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:51:44