Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A Theoretical Idea to a Common Want

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 05:13
I have thought of an idea that may create the simulation of driving a vehicle. I came up with this in like 2 seconds, and i am asking for critical thought and counter points as a way to further advance the possibility of there being vehicles. I, as an EA and future V1 FPS Creator, have no want or need for vehicles, beings there are no outside environments, or good ones anyway. I think that if we replace, or create a new 'gun' model that is large enough when 'weilded' to simulate the player sitting inside of it. Then a crafty scriptor should be able to, when the player has the vehicle selected in his inventory, change the sound of the foot steps to say, a tank cruizing along, or a jeep or whatever. He theoretically should also be able to slow or speed up the players movement with similar commands. This would only work as a crude impression of driving a vehicle as is not intended to be the way the developers finnaly go about incorporating vehicular transportation into V1. A problem with this though is that the player would have the ability to switch 'out' of his vehicle and start using the guns, then right back into it.

Lavitz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 05:20
Neat idea, especially if your vehicles are like robots that you can climb into like in the Matrix. Still, most poeple (unlike me) love to have a Halo setup where you see over the vehicle as it is driven.

Treetops and Timber!
Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 05:24
i understand, but, if its truely truely first person...then youd have to be inside of the vehicle...

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 05:27
I have already thought about this. I think vehicals are kinda stupid until the level editor gives us more space, like 100x100 instead of only 40x40.

Yes I prefer to see the vehical Halo style(3rd person). I dont like how in Battlefield you drive in first person but i get used to it after a while.

temporarely not accepting logo/banner requests.
Maybe next week. sorry. Got a lot to do.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 08:05
You can switch in Battlefield (2, atleast).

Formerly I was CDBGames, and formerly to that i was Duke Nukem, and even more formerly to that
I was Punk Rock 101. Got it?
pjb21
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "A problem with this though is that the player would have the ability to switch 'out' of his vehicle and start using the guns, then right back into it."

not really. this is basicly a large item you carry as you described it, just like a weapon. theres no reason why it shouldnt be able to shoot. it could be a tank with you peeping out the top of it, then you can blast off shells instead of getting out getting you gun and shooting. and even for the vehicles that dont have mounted guns, when you left click you could shoot out an open window =)
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 13:16
Swhale aka The FPS Creator,

Innovative thinking

If you dont want to wait for future in built vehicle support and have the time to experiment then go for it.

If you have the time I am sure it would be an experiment well worth the effort - from a learning point of view.

With enough level design effort you could possibly find situations in the current 40 x 40 tile area to make use of a short vehicle ride as it were possibly including some cirular movement, up ramps and back down somewhere else perhaps to give an extended feel to the time spent driving.

If you can do things to achieve an apparent bigger map area by extending the appearance of the horizon in game then the size of the level could at least be visually enhanced.

Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 22:02
Wow, thank you guys for the support, i could mess with the script, but iv'e yet to get any help specifically inserting working guns into the game, i would not be able to do this myself, as i havn't gotten deep into scripting, and i don't have any model creation software. i would love to do it, but my current standpoint doesn't alow me to be able to. All i can provide is that idea, now, if a moddeler could create a tank, and a scripter made a script to change the audio, and somebody figured out how to insert guns properly, then we would have succsesfully created a drivable vehicle.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:31