Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How much of DBPro 5.8 is already in DGSDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought that beta 1.1.1 had exacly the same functionality of DBPro version 5.8, but yesterday I was experimenting with some shadow stuff in the SDK and found it seems there is stuff missing.

While I don't own dbpro, I downloaded the 5.8 samples to look at them and infer how to do things in the sdk. In the specific "Number3-Shadows" example, I found that you can get shader-based shadows in dbpro if you use the "set shadow shading on" construct with 4 parms. Looking at the header files this function does not exist in the sdk (only the objId version of the function).

So, my question is, will this be in eventually? How much more of this API stuff does not exist in the sdk yet?

Incidently, if Mike or Lee can shed some light on why I can't get shadows in a Radeon 9200 while I do in my 9600pro (see my post "Shadow Implementation in dgsdk" in this forum) I would be much oblidged.

Cheers.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 12:56
It was probably just forgotten - especially as the extra parameters aren't documented

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Another small pointer on my question about shadows... using the compiled sample that comes with 5.8 samples, the Radeon 9200 will not display the Vertex Shader shadows either (much like it doesn't the cpu shadows).

In theory, even though the 9200 is a dx8.1 (not a dx9) part, it does support VS1.1. I find it strange that I cannot get any dynamic shadows on this card with this engine alone, other engines work fine.

Incidently, since we have these shadow limitations, there should exist an AVAILABILITY EXPRESSION like dbShadowsShadingAvailable() so that the game can fallback to rendered blotches on the ground when there is no "real shadows" support in the card.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:04:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:04:48