Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 17:15
has anyone used dark basic for simulation-type applications? in your opinion, would this software be feasible?
Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 17:43
I have (in DB#1 as I'm not the member of DBDN). I coded an airplane simulation and have seen some good space-simulators too. DBP is so powerful that the only limit you have, is your own imagination!

Code a car-school simulation for example. If you are lucky and made it professioanl-looking enough, put it into sale.. you may have some real customers then.

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
Funky Frank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 18:09
Certainly feasible, Zero is spot on.

I've done some work on a couple of simulation type packages* (in fact my current project is one) and the only limit really is your imagination.

If there is a limiting factor, quite often (in my case anyway) it is getting all the physics and so on correct, rather than any limits in the ability of DB.

Good luck anyway.

*Take a look at www.black5.co.uk to see some of my previous work (a bit out of date now, but when that DBPro hits the doormat .....)
simfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, in its initial version, db did not have the necessary feature for a "good" flight simulation : i.e. it could not handle matrix calculations.

"professional" simulation use "state-space" techniques, wich require 4 matrices to be derived relating inputs to outputs (nothing to do with the 3D engine).

I don't know if you can do that with Db pro, maybe somebody can help.

I want indeed to write genuine space-simulations (nothing close to a shoot them up), featuring aerospace-planes, and I think I'll code that in C++ as DLLs, which I'll be calling from DBpro at a later date for graphic rendering. I'm an aerospace engineer, I don't know much about programming (that's where things go bad with C++), and I certainly don't want to waste time on coding a 3D-engine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:42:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:42:47