Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 3rd Person Support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 05:58
Has the idea of adding 3rd person support be introduced? Basicly hitting a key for camera view to show your player in 3rd person?

Hopefully that will be an option in later versions.

C.Herlihy, MCSE
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 08:15
No. Its called *FIRST PERSON* Shooter Creator for a reason.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 08:46
well, they oughta give people the choice to use a script that allows people to move the camera. (thus making a a 3rd person, and other view[s])

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

FPSC HEAR OUR PLEA, GIVE US MORE MODEL FORMATS AND SET US FREE!
Matinuker
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to beable to do that but I'm fine with First Person.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 15:02
Quote: "well, they oughta give people the choice to use a script that allows people to move the camera. (thus making a a 3rd person, and other view[s])"

Wait, so. You should be able to move the camera and make it a 3rd person creator? So what would be the whole point in the name? FPSCREATOR?!?
RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 15:34
Yes, the name is FPSCreator, but in addition to having First Person, which would be default, why not add camera ability to 3rd person?

It would make FPS a bit more flexable.

Plus it's always nice to see the intelligence factor of posters with comments like:

Quote: "No. Its called *FIRST PERSON* Shooter Creator for a reason."

There is nothing wrong with requesting additional features. I guess Microsoft should also stip out their 'Save As HTML' since its for Word Documents and they have a product called FrontPage? Grow up a little..

C.Herlihy, MCSE
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 17:01 Edited at: 5th Sep 2005 17:02
-You are mean!
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds a cool idea, a similar thing is found in even old flight sim games. If added to FSPC then I guess there would also have to be capability to make the first person look decent, i.e. uniforms, looks, etc. Maybe import images of ourselves into the games, like an avatar that looks like the player, this is heading a bit into the realms of VR I suppose.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 17:37
well, I think it would be neat if you could control it all by script, thus, if you wantted the camera to circle around the player you could.

BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 17:58
um, oh yeah, first person shooters, dontinclude an actual model or the player, just the gun

I may Be small, but im bloomin good on a computer!

ROCK ON VERSION 1! FIRST PERSON SHOOTER CREATOR FOREVER!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 19:39
Really unfortunately TGC I presume choose the name FPScreator for the product so that they would never have to consdider introducing a Third Person capability for reasons we can only guess at but cant be certain of.

Presumably Third person is a complete "No-No" from TGC point of view which is a really bad precident to set for a product if it restricts so strictly its future development direction - when such an addition would do so much to provide much greater flexibility in gamemaking and eventual gameplay - ruling this out from the start seems to be a not very sensible decision to me but there you go.

On request for a Third Person Camera view then previously the official response is - then it would not be a First Person Shooter - "Quite So" - (No one wants that restriction).

Apparently you cant have a Third Person view for this reason - but TGC are considering implimenting Vehicles? Strange! Is it going to be then a First Person View Only Vehicle Shooter?

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 20:25
actually I asked this a while back and it was either Mike or Rick said they would consider a basic 3rd person mode, after I pointed out that many FPS games have a third person mode and that we wouldn't expect something fully fledged like tomb raider or mario 64. He said he was interested in the idea and would ask Lee to consider it.

If they DO decide against it full stop, my Quikly Game Pro product is like FPSC but will soon allow third person and vehicles, but I'm not saying its better than FPSC, far from it as its in early stages of development

cardine
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Apparently you cant have a Third Person view for this reason - but TGC are considering implimenting Vehicles? Strange! Is it going to be then a First Person View Only Vehicle Shooter?"

I guess so

My-Free-Coupons.com
CardineHosting.com
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 00:56 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 00:57
We've never said either way if Third Person support will be included in the future, because it hasn't yet been decided. Consequently anything posted here so far is pure speculation, and should be treated as nothing more. The engine has not ruled this feature out, so there's no reason for anyone else to unless stated otherwise.

The name of the product is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you have third person camera locations in an FPS game (Max Payne, Halo, etc), they're still classed as an FPS. The term "FPS" relates to a genre, not a technical feature, and should be treated as such.

If you think about it for a moment, there isn't actually any such genre as "third person game", probably because it doesn't actually mean anything.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 02:07
Thank you for the clarrification

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 04:31
yes, thank you!

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 12:39
LOL! Uman changed his mind very quickly!!

Dont trust anyone...
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 13:10
would be perfect to have the ability to control the camera.

yeah...thats the ticket !
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:34
Mr Love,

I did not say I had changed my mind regarding anything - You are mistaken - I said thank you for the clarrification.

Certainly I thank Richard Davey and TGC for the stated position on this issue as its one I most welcome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 10:01:23
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 10:01:23