Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Some Advise on which File types to use for textures please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am wondering if anyone can suggest which file types are best for using when texturing in DB/DBPRO, I am asking as I realise BMP are good quality but large in size, I was wondering what other file types, if any?, are better or the same quality as .BMP but have a much smaller file size for the same picture/texture held on it?.

Many thanks
1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2003 13:09
Personally I always use PNG files. They're a non-lossy format (unlike JPEG), smaller than BMP by far and support alpha-channels. Lovely.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Rich, I appreciate the help here as I am not an artist by any means, I tried the .PNG format quickly and it does the job REALLY well, 5mb+ to 180k.. and no loss as you say in quality! There's alot to be said for using the correct file formats..

Thanks again

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 02:22
And with .PNG graphics you'll never have Unisys claiming you owe them money for using their algorithm! (a potential problem with .GIFs)

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com
GavinO
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought GIFs just used RLE?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 07:06
some do... so many brandings of it, its hard to tell really - and as most Operating system have builtin things to distinghuish between all of them blah blah.

personally i'd say fudge it and create me own dang format ... use a TGA to map out everything in my 3d package and then export 2 bitmaps, one 24bit colour the other a 256 greyscale alpha ... import both into db
export as my image type which is constructed into a 32bit memblock on loading

you have 4 byte positions per pixel
RED GREEN BLUE ALPHA ... 0 - 255 values

no problem importing your own format as long as you understand the codec you make for it (^_^)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:21:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:21:24