Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Some bugs and a few API suggestions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally had time to play a bit more win dgsdk this week and I came across some fairly straightforward problems as well as a couple of API limitations, so I thought I'd drop them here for the developers perusal.

First the bugs:

1) If I invoke dbSetDisplayMode() (regardless of the parameters, even if app remains windowed), loading .X files stops loading the meshes textures automatically.
E.g. the code

dbLoadObject( "miko.x", 1 );

displays a textured miko with no dbSetDisplayMode(), and a "white" miko if dbSetDisplayMode() has been previously been called (no other changes in the code).
In the later case I need to do

dbLoadObject( "miko.x", 1 );
dbLoadImage( "miko.TGA" , 1 , 0 );
dbTextureObject( 1, 1 );

to get a textured miko.

2) If you ALT-TAB a full screen application and the ALT-TAB back, the application is dead: you just get a back screen, per-frame background cleaning is no longer working (text is written over text) and all the models are gone. Must properly restore DX surfaces and context on ALT-TAB.

3) Object frame counts seem to be screwed up. Calling dbTotalObjectFrames() gives unexplicably high results, forcing you to find acceptable values for dbSetObjectSpeed() and dbSetObjectFrame() by trial and error.

4) Mentioned proviously by me: You can't get CPU shadows on a Radeon 9200 using dgsdk (tried dbpro 5.8 samples, same there and GPU shadows also don't work). These are available on this very same hardware using virtually all other engines (i.e. it's not a hardware or drivers limitation).

5) I believe someone has mentioned this already but while the precompiled version of the FX sample works like a charm, if you recompile the sample all effects except for bubble.fx crash the app, and even bubble does nothing (i.e. it won't crash but you don't see the mesh onscreen either).

API Limitations:

1) The only way you can obtain (i.e. read-back) an object's orientation seems to be through dbObjectAngle* functions: This sounds unecessarily limiting because you have to keep doing maths when the engine is sure to have thin info in vector/matrix format internally. There should exist either as:
a) something like dbObjectFacing* to get the fwd vector directly
b) better: the hidden dbGetObjectWorldMatrix() (see DarkSDKBasic3D.h) function should be extended allow one to get a full object's matrix, not just a limb in an object's
c) most orthogonal: there should exist a 3DMATHS function that loads a matrix with an object's matrix, something like
dbSetObjectMatrix4( int Matrix4, int iObjectID )

2) This is a "good to have" rather than a must have, but including quaternion support in GD would be great. We can always use D3DXQUATERNION but a native solution integrating in 3DMATHS is always cleaner.

3) I mentioned it elsewhere, but we need an AVAILABILITY EXPRESSION to detect the non-existance of shadows in the hardware so that we can revert to a blob on the floor hack.

I would have posted this to the DarkGameSDK bugs thread but since my posts for some reason never appear in the latest post or bump a thread timestamp up, no one would even read this. I don't know if this odd forum behaviour is due to my posts still needing approval or not (neither the moderators nor the forum support people seem to know for sure).

Incidently, I'm sure that joining the Masonry is easier than getting posting clearence in this forum... I've been posting for over a month inc. answering other people's questions and I'm _still_ penned.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Fancy that, it seems I just got clearance on that post. Good things do come to them that wait...
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 18:45 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 18:45
Quote: "I don't know if this odd forum behaviour is due to my posts still needing approval or not"

I´m willing to bet my bottom dolar that it is due to that. Only time will tell.
I wonder if we can turn this into a suggestions thread as I have a few of my own.

My signature has been erased by me because it's LARGE.
Thank you for the votez!1!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 20:52
Quote: "If you ALT-TAB a full screen application and the ALT-TAB back, the application is dead:"

DirectX problem due to lost surfaces - you need to check whether the program has been ALT+TABbed back in and reload everything.

Quote: "Mentioned proviously by me: You can't get CPU shadows on a Radeon 9200 using dgsdk"

I have had shadows working fine on my X700 - thought I posted some code about it somewhere...

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " DirectX problem due to lost surfaces - you need to check whether the program has been ALT+TABbed back in and reload everything. "

I know this, but shouldn't the engine do that instead of the user? I know you have to do it yourself if you are coding directly on DirectX (I have done this in the past), but most higher level engines handle these chores yourself.

Quote: "I have had shadows working fine on my X700 "

I don't doubt they work on the X700... they work on my 9600 pro too. They just don't seem to work on the 9200 - even though I see no reason for that as the 9200 part has a stencil buffer which is what is normally used for that.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 15:19
Quote: "I know this, but shouldn't the engine do that instead of the user?"

They might upgrade it later on.

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:36:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:36:31