Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / OO 3D Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello

I see that most of 3d engine are OO oriented even though ,at the end of the day ,they supply pratically the same features as DarkBasic SDK
Personaly I can not imagine nothing more user friendly that scrolling a list of selfexplaining functions and plugging them in my code.
Ok Here in this site I may expect ... yes you are 100 % right
Honestly what are pro and con of 00 3D game engines ?

Alberto
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 13:58
All the pros of an OO language. The fact the engine is OO doesn't make it do anything extra. It's the way it's built. If you get the source then it SHOULD be more maintainable, offer reuse of components, have all the trendy stuff like encapsulation, polymorphism etc., the objects should be cohesive and offer good design options for the whole thing.

I'm a huge fan of OO so not the person to ask about the cons. The only one I can think of is that it's easy to plug together those "self explaining functions" you talk about in such a way that you get horribly inefficient code. Design is everythign in OO. Then again, you can do similarly bad things in any language. And of course you can easily write non-OO code in an OO language.

T.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 14:24
It makes no difference either way. Putting a simple OO wrapper around a C interface is relatively easy, and vice versa, and in either case, the compiler will optimise away the wrapper if it's kept 'thin' enough, meaning no efficiency loss.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
AlbertoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your reply

I am not against OO , on the contrary, that'why I prefer C++ \ DarkBasicSDK over DarkBasicPro..I like incapsulation and all that stuff.
However I prefer to create my own classes, project by project, using prefabricated functions, rather then starting from prefabricated classes .
Ok may be what I say sound horrible to a OO purist but , in my opinion , it is more pratical.
I would 100% agree with you in case of a 3d engine which have been designed for a specific game or at least for a specific game type
As far as a multiporpose game engine are concerned I wonder wether OO is the best solution or rather an unnecessary complication

Alberto

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:11