Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I need the specs on audio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know that you need 8 bit pcm wav files (simply horrendous), but at what khz? Can I use 44.1 or do I have to downsample to 32 or dreaded 22?

Stereo or Mono only?

I assume no surround even possible - too bad.

If someone knows for sure, please let me know.
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 04:29 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 04:30
And while on the subject - why are the audio specs so darn terrible? I mean 8 bit? Maybe 10 or 12 years ago when the 486 and Pentium 1s were current, but today's computers with massive storage and memory capacities - these specs seem so medieval and arcane!

Will it ever be possible to allow 16 bit 44.1khz audio? mp3s? OGG files? CD Audio? (I will not create MIDI files - that's just not good enough for my standards).

Lastly, should I assume that music (digital audio, not midi), AND special fx have to be in the above asked for 8 bit pcm format?

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
Essex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 04:43 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 04:46
Hi Mike, I did the weapon SFX for v1 and used 16bit @ 22k to conserve file size and in some small way ease the load on the CPU in a busy scene.

Given that the freq. response of those specs tops out at around 11k which is enough for gun FX, explosions etc, it seemed like a reasonable trade-off.

In early testing I was using 16bit 44.1 mono and stereo and the engine handled it fine.

MP3 for music would be handy though!

Rick Harrison
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
the problem with mp3 is if there is any licensing issues.

I will create music in better quality modes then.

If mp3 or OGG is fine, I will create sfx and music in that format at top quality.

I'll experiment and see what works best.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 05:05
there is .ogg compatibility in V1 and it works fine!

Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Then I will make sure to encode in OGG - I believe that is either freeware or does not need licensing or restrictions - I will research that and get started on sound fx and music for FPS Creator.

Mike

P.S. That's assuming FPS Creator works at all!!!!! (see my previous post on how pissed off I am getting)
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
That was a no go. So far, I have been unable to play ANY music file of my own in FPS Creator. I tried OGG Vorbis, mp3, WAV 8 bit pcm - you name it. They refuse to play.

I load in a sound trigger zone - then I load a sound and test the game - the included sounds trigger fine - the new sounds/music don't work at all. I've tried every sample rate and every bit rate - no go!!!

Someone please explain to me the specs so I can successfully trigger sounds/music!!! I need bit count, khz rating, mono or stereo, etc!!!
xified
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 08:15
Music Man,
I took a 16bit 44KHz stereo WAV file & converted to OGG using oggenchttp://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/oggenc1.1.1.zip and it worked fine in a FPSC sound zone.

I attached the OGG file for you to test with, if you like.

-x

Code so clean you could eat off it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I used BeSweet along with SweetOGG and OGGMachine and those made OGG audio files that sound great (and come up as mp3 files believe it or not in media player) but refuse to play properly in fps creator. I will try the program you included and see what happens.

Mike

P.S. Let's help me get this working because then everyone will benefit, as I intend to start a MAJOR sound effects and music pack project for FPS Creator that will give everyone some much needed choices for sound fx and music placement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 09:42:56
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 09:42:56