Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Correct me if I'm wrong

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 10:06
You know..If we want an alternative way to design our levels and objects for FPSC rather than with square segments, couldn't we simply use TGCs own 3D World Studio and export our entities and levels as an x file? Here's the link
http://cartographyshop.thegamecreators.com/?f=3dworldstudio

Lon
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 11:27
The level can only made whit the segments in the editor. Not can import levels in other format.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 13:00 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 13:00
True, but couldn't you import the level as one massive... and I mean massive entity. Ofcourse you couldn't apply physics to it, or you could shoot the floor and fall to the other end of the level !

Got to love Resident Evil 0! Currently playing for the: 5th time
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 14:54
You can make Your segment exactly as You want it. Make Your own stuff! Walls, Floor, Roof (just export in a x-file)...

Mr Love

Dont trust anyone...
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 16:26 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 16:27
FPS Creator is a level editor in its own right.

Cartography shop, an excellent product, is for making levels for any engine that supports it. FPS Creator is a closed engine with its own level editor, so no, cart shop (what you linked to) cannot be used for making models, levels, etc in fps creator. Also, cart shop does not make models at all - just blitz basic, dark basic, torque, and direct x levels (game worlds) - but not character modelling, etc. For that you need milkshape, gamespace, etc.

Mike
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 16:31
but cant you make an object in cart shop and still use it as an object in your game, a level is just one big object made from lots of small objects.
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Possibly. If you export to an 'x' model possibly you can bring it in but from my slight understanding of fps creator, everything looks to be mapped to the grid - so everything has to be a certain size.

I am going to try and experiment since I have cart shop 4 and already paid for the new and up n coming 5.

Mike
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 21:28
Can You load two or three textures to only one object? I tryed but it didnt work. I think You have to make a UVmap for the object..

Mr Love

Dont trust anyone...
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 21:31
You can use CS. If you look, it says you can export levels as .x models .

BOOM! Awww shucks! There goes the world. again.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 23:25
Models used as entities can be any size, models for segments are another matter.
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
uman - yes, but what about collision detection? How does FPS Creator handle that with large objects?

Mike
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 01:33 Edited at: 12th Sep 2005 01:35
Yeah, making whole levels themselves might be going a bit far, but you could really create some mad segments once you found the sweet spot for the scale of the final model. Also heres an interesting post in the cart shop forums.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=59834&b=13

Lon
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 05:04
Yes uman but You can make Your own segment system, if You load Your segments as entities.

Mr Love

Dont trust anyone...
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 03:41 Edited at: 13th Sep 2005 03:46
Music Man,

I dont think you should have any collision problem on large entities if they are set as static entities. i.e. to be considered by the engine as would any piece of world geometry (walls, floor)

You can use a terrain model entity (static entity) in FPSC which covers the whole 40 x 40 tile area (or thereabouts) and walk over it without falling through. Collison is correct and you cant get anything bigger than that. Centre point of entity is in centre tile of world and thats where FPSC sees the centre of the object and believes it to exist yet you can walk over the whole terrain. In this instance world tile size has no bearing, either horizontally or veritically.

Having said that I have not tried very large entities V1 yet so this needs confirming in the release version of V1.

Mr Love,

You can indeed use your own segments or entities. Both use .x files for object description in something of a different manner. If you can design your objects so that they fit within the tile cube size then do so and use as segments making up an object in pieces if necessary (as with ramps spanning more than one tile height) - they do not necessarily have to be square or exact cube shaped, however for complex shapes or in the case of large objects spanning multiple tiles they are best inserted as entities. Effectively the begining and end result is the same. Both segments and entities are composed of .x files and in both cases visually in game there need be no difference whichever is used.

Its a matter of choice, experience and testing to see which is the best choice. In some instances this is obvious as its more difficult to achieve complex or large shapes with segments. Other things like how a lot of (complex) segments or entities affect fps will need actual testing during development. In some instances you may wish to use a lot of large entities as world objects but may find they slow down fps whereas a lot of smaller even more complex ones wont - How FPSC sees and complies world objects and the resultant no of ploys seen to view from any one location in game is not known exactly to me and in highly detailed complex levels it seems FPSC does not cull all the Polys that should be hidden and discounted as effectively as it should so some experimentation is needed in complex levels to get the best result.

As a general rule as would be the norm segments should be used for most general buliding of the level and entities used for detail active content and any things you cant achieve using segments.

Building a whole City with numerous entities or just one entity well it could be done I guess but I would not like to say how FPSC would treat that in compile and decide how it would compute the resultant output in terms of what it culls and how it would affect fps. TGC may know the answer to this?

As a matter of point certainly FPSC does seem to have some problems in rendering a view in game and deciding how many polys are being seen and are to be rendered to the view. I have a City where the player standing close to a wall - facing it so that there is nothing much in view and fps drops off to an unacceptable and unplayable figure as FPSC calculates there are in the region of 80,000+ polys to view. As far as I can ascertain it draws all the polys from one end of level to another even though theres little in view. FPSC in some instances calculates every poly and draws every object whether in view or not, whether segments or entities. i.e. sees around corners and calculates everything.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 19:05:50
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 19:05:50