Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Multiplayer Bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 07:04
Hey,

I'm having a problem creating a multiplayer game. For instance: I chose "new arena", placed down 2 unarmed entities and a gun entity. I then ensured that multiplayer is selected from the preferences and built the game. I started the game and began hosting. I then had a friend try and join the game but everytime (no matter who hosts) it hangs at "Waiting to Join".
Now heres the wierd part. I created a single player level with 2 unarmed entities, drop in a gun entity, save the level, and exit. I then restarted FPSC chose "New Arena", then "Build Game". I then went to the "Level Settings" tab and chose the the single player level I created previously and hit build in the last tab. When I start the game up I notice that my IP address doesn't show up at the bottom at the start screen, but the game works perfectly. I am able to host the game and anyone can join and play without the "waiting to join" message.
So far this is the only way I can create a multiplayer game without the "waiting to join message" screen hang.

Also both computers involved in the game have firewalls off and are not connected to a router.

Any clues as to whats happening?
Matinuker
Years of Service
User Offline
thats almost what i got sorry, i havent figured it out yet
Pickle of Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 01:40
Same thing happens to me. Can anyone help?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 15:13
The "Waiting to Join" message issue if you like to call it that is something of a mystery.

I have seen it seemingly randomly pop up with me since early V1 Betas through to V1. Trying to track down the reason for it is not easy. There is much confusion in the Build dialogue box settings and how that and FPSC erratically behaves in its handling of dealing with sessions when working with many different files in one session, particularly when switching from SP to MP game levels. I can best describe the behaviour as unstable. The result is upredictable consequences.

Anyone having this problem have Teleporters in their levels?

I have the "Waiting to Join" message appear only if I use Teleporters - if I remove them the issue dissapears.

I dont think there is any relevance to Firewalls particularly as some may suggest - I believe that to be incorrect and that the error is an internal FPSC one which you cant overide as the error is internally in build to the game save .exe. As long as a Firewall is set to allow permissions it should have no bearing. In the case of the Teleporters above this is clearly the case.

Pickle of Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 00:29
No teleporters in mine though... what am I doing wrong?
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 00:36
thats weird, because it hasnt happened to me, maybe its the hosts internet connection, may slow it down

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
Pickle of Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 16:34
Don't think so, both machines we're testing on have decent internet connections. Does being on a network have anything to do with it?
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 17:21
NOOB ALERT. Okay, how do I mae the menus for an arena game what they're supposed to be? I make the level, build the game, and it comes out with NEWGAME and EXITGAME on the multiplayer menu. I cant figure out how to do it through buildgame. What do I do?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 18:34
For the question of it saying 'Waiting to Join', it may be that the Hosting player has not yet selected their player and started playing. For me, this must be done or all Joining players will get the 'waiting to join...' problem.

Got to love Resident Evil 0! Currently playing for the: 5th time
Pickle of Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 15:01 Edited at: 18th Sep 2005 15:02
No, that's the problem. The host can join and run around and kill himself and do whatever, but everyone else is still... you guessed it... waiting to join.

@SaurusX - Did you select "New Arena" instead of "New"? That would cause the problem.
Shawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 02:41
I am still having this problem, I even did a full uninstall and re-install. The host can run around but anyone else gets the "waiting to join" message after they select a character. I know its not a bandwidth problem, since all machines involved are on a broadband connection. I also experimented and tried running the game over a LAN of several machines, with no success. The only thing that I can think of is that there is some incompatibility with the name server being used to find available games, and its somehow not allowing games to connect. I wish I figure this out....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 19:40:45
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 19:40:45