Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Animated Mesh requirements

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

when we tried to import first animated model into FPS Creator, it seemed to be just a matter of copy and modify files from the officer (unarmed).

We could see our model in game quick preview, but once the game was compiled, only a deformed part of this model was visible.

The model was rigged and animated in MAX 6 (for another game engine).
It is a single mesh and its bones are named as usual if you use CharacterStudio.

An official FAQ or description would be nice.
I saw some mythic rumors about "your model needs to have the exact same animations like the model you copy from.."
A bit searching on my harddrive later, I found the file which includes the animation definition.

But what makes me worry is the limb thing.

Please provide some facts about the requirements and don't let us alone in the dark

-- slacer
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 15:59 Edited at: 16th Sep 2005 16:00
Would it not be useful to users if FPSC included a default rigged and animated "Template" model in 3DS format that was intended for the purpose of end users importing to max or another prog as a basis to study and work from?

Certainly would be helpful to me.

I presume there are copyright or other non stated reasons that TGC have not supplied one.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
3DS for simple mesh yes, for animated ones no. I'd prefer .x files for rigged meshes.
slacer
Years of Service
User Offline
hi uman,

the 3ds file format does not support animations or bones.
You can already open the officer.x model in 3d apps which can read .x files.
This way you can see how large the model is in your modelers units.
But it does not help to understand how the engine knows where to attach the gun to.
Where the head is, ...
If your model is a tank, how would the engine know it is a turret, or a barrel?

These conceptual informations are not included in the file format.
But in Lees head, as well as in the modellers head who created all those human characters for FPS Creator.

It would be cool if we could get the documents this animator got, in order to create and animate these models.

-- slacer
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 16:14
We do need a fully animated skeleton(template) or some other way to attach animations to our own models.I have tried loading one of the models into gameSpace (I cant afford 3DSMax) and it causes an error this causes me great concern since I really only want to use my own models.
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
actually, there is a chunk in 3ds format for animation data, but I don't know whether it was ever used before discreet moved to the .max format.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 19:31:34
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 19:31:34