Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Building new characters volume 1:new animation thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 17:18
Upon importing one of the .x files from the entity bank, I find that the fps creator files consist of 2498 frame animation files. It seems that they intentionally combined all frames into one long animation. The half-life files I have worked with broke the movements down into individual animations. It looks like one could modify the animation files in fragmotion for uniqueness, as long as you left the number of frames intact. I looked at aiko and conker and they both had the same number of frames.
I think that new characters are possible using fragmotion. Depending on how it is set up, melee animations may be possible at this point. But if the engine could allow damage for the hits is another story. I am hoping to get some people together to make a definitive guide to new character creation. If anyone can help me with my problems (re)skinning characters that would be nice.
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 19:05
btw fragmotion is an animation program specifically for real time characters. $20 at www.fragmosoft.com.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 20:52
I hope the new characters have smoother animations than the old. Can You have individual animations in fpsc? Or do I have to use one long, like walk, jump, shoot, sidestep, throw, reload in one file? I rather want one x-file for walkcycle only.. And one for reload and so on.....

Mr Love

Dont trust anyone...
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 20:57
how do you import characters..... ;(

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 00:02
As far as I can tell, You have to animate a character in an application, and save it as a .x(direct x) file. Right now, it looks like you need all 2498 frames. The good news is that by using the stock models, you should be able to skin new models quickly. By desiging new models around the old ones, you should be able to share the animation data. It also looks like the fpe(seems to be a script that tells fpsc how to use the data)must be made to instruct the application on how to use the model file as I said.
This has a couple of implications:
The animation sets created for fpsc are pretty complete. There are alot of animations in there I didn't know existed. For example the swimming. There is more, but what I mean is this. An enterprising person can make an entirely new set of animations, make them more fluid, more exaggerated, whatever. You should be able to create new characters that dont use those animations as well. The key seems to be in the script. I think what is going to make or break this app will be the extensability of the ai. Visual quality can be increased, new things added, but if the ai isn't modifiable, then it's all academic, unless fps makes exporters for other engines, in which case fpsc could see a whole other niche to serve. So I guess we will start signing people up to tackle breakign down this animation set, and modifying it and getting it back in the engine. One good thing is that animations done in fragmotion will be re-purposeable for other engines, quake, half life, etc.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 00:02
I guess like all other things. Just make them smart by giving them a AI script. But I think You must tell the fpsc when to start a animation and when to end it.

Dont trust anyone...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 20:05:27
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 20:05:27