Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Disappearing Screen Saver

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 17:25
I have a strange phenomenon that occurs on my Windows 2K PC, but not on the Windows XP one.

Both use MS VS Studio .Net to build. All operating systems have the latest service packs, etc..

When I run any program built using DarkSDK, my screen saver assignment disappears. By this I mean, after the program runs, checking the properties for the desktop shows that the screen saver selected is 'none'.

I have tested this repeatedly with the simplest of programs, both in windowed and non-windowed mode.

Here is some sample code (with a variation of a routine I use for text display which keeps memory clean):

Has anyone else run into something like this? Or knows the reason and/or fix?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 18:31
Never heard of that before - something must be overwriting memory somewhere. Unfortunately I can only test it on Monday.

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 19:26
I haven't come across the problem of the screen saver assignment changing in the past or with your program.

But there is something in the setup library that may cause this - when the program starts we disable the screen saver and when the program ends the screen saver is enabled again.

It may be that this line of code to disable and enable the screen saver is interfering and causing the problem of assignment. I will look into another way of disabling the screen saver or perhaps not making this happen by default and instead add an extra function.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 21:53
Thank you Mike for a possible explanation.

The setup appears to disable the screen saver just fine. But the re-enabling is not happening.

I wondered whether the enabling code was looking for an explicit action indicating termination of the program. Since is no explicit 'return' at the end of the main routine, I tried changing 'break' to 'return' on the escape detect and saw no difference.

Depending on the mechanism used to disable/enable, some of my computer protection software (Antivirus, Pest Patrol, Spyware Blaster, Spybot) might be interfering. Although, I'd expect it to interfere with both actions and not just one.

Not a major thing. If it only happens on my computer, then it's not a problem. I just have to remember to reset my screen saver before heading up for the night. (The screen glare is visible all over the house.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 22:19
The re enabling of the screen saver doesn't happen until the destructor of the setup library has been called and this takes place when the program quits by breaking out of the DarkSDK function or through quitting with the LoopSDK function.

I tried this on another computer and got the same problem as you. Will look into it when we do more work on the upgrade on Friday.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 22:49
Why do you need to disable the screen saver to start with ?

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:18:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:18:14