Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Where are the entity Physics properties?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 00:16
The fpe files contain lots of info, including rotation, strength, scripts to call etc... But where are the Physics properties...Weight, Force damage and so on?

And on a similar subject, if I throw a bottle, with a force damage of 100, at a crate with a strength of 25, why doesn't it destroy it?

Questions...questions...questions.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 00:19
right click on the entitys for the properties panel.
Quote: "And on a similar subject, if I throw a bottle, with a force damage of 100, at a crate with a strength of 25, why doesn't it destroy it?"

sorry, i dont know

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 00:20
u need to change the weight of both objects... and change the strength of the bottle and that should do it

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 00:25
Just to clarify...I know where to find the values in FPSC, I want to know where they are in the entity files so that I can create a new entity (e.g a bottle) with different characteristics (such as a very heavy mercury-filled bottle)

@Zero #43 ah... so that has to be considered too...cheers. Now I just need to figure out how to modify the default values

Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 00:35
ok, so you want to knwo how to change it in the fpi / fpe files?? you can't the physics are built into fpsc... just make an entity and use another items fpi/fpe file and change it to your settings. and the physics are in fpsc

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 01:11
When you open up the FPE file, if it does not specify WEIGHT and FRICTION values then FPSC will automatically calculate them based on their size.

If you specify the values, then those values are used. So basically, if they're not already in there - add them

You can use this principal on any property - take an existing one, modify each of the values and then study the FPE script after this change. You'll need all of the new values in there (PHYWEIGHT = 1000, PHYFRICTION = 1000, etc)

People don't quit playing because they grow old.
They grow old because they quit playing.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 11:06
Quote: "take an existing one, modify each of the values and then study the FPE script after this change"

Not quite sure what you mean here. Can I see an FPE script after I've changed it in a game? The game FPM file is not accessible, it's password protected, so I can't look at any settings.

Quote: "(PHYWEIGHT = 1000, PHYFRICTION = 1000, etc)"

To test this, I've added weight as physicsweight and phyweight, but neither have worked. Am I misunderstanding what you have said?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 14:15
This is an example of the fpe file...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 20:25
You must perform a series of steps to use the modified FPE file:

1. Make a copy of your chosen FPE entity file
2. Copy the thumbnail .BMP file and rename as well
3. Modify the FPE file copy, not the original (ever)
4. Delete any .BIN files associated with the entity
5. Load your FPM via the editor
6. Click ADD NEW ENTITY and select your New entity in the library
7. I suggest all new entities/assets go in the USER folder
8. Select and drop the new entity in your level
9. Your new entity will have the settings you modified

You cannot easily change the unexposed preset defaults of entities you have already added to your world. You can use the Right Click operation to edit the exposed customizable parts of the entity inside the editor, but the rest are part of the .FPE and .BIN files of the entity file, which I suggest you do not change as this will effect other FPM files that use the same entity.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Anlino
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers Lee, and By The Way, even if we have a lot of sections in the forums already, i believe that it would be a good idea to fix a Tips and Tricks section for FPSC. This is how you do this, this is how you that etc.
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 21:40
and a bug section too

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 23:29
Cheers Lee. I think I already have that bit under control. I've made new objects, changed strength etc, and all is well.

My problem is the Physics Properties. I want a crate for example. But I don't want the friction to be 8500...I want it to be 1000. But the existing entities don't expose these values, and I tried Rich's suggestion, but it hasn't worked in the format shown (phyweight etc)

This is essential for unique games, in my opinion. Once you can do this, you can create an Ice arena where friction is reduced, or low-gravity (rather than no gravity) with lighter objects. The important thing is to be able to drop many objects into the level, without having to edit every one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-08 22:28:49
Your offset time is: 2024-07-08 22:28:49