Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Bug when alpha mapping a Instanced object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 01:08
There is a bug when you set alpha mapping on a instanced object, the object loses all transparency (in the image or otherwise) and goes solid.

There are many situations where you might want to fade a Instanced tree or rock into a scene, so it really SHOULD be possible to do this (I think alpha mapping works with clones, but they are sooo much slower than instances).

PS - I read in the newsletter that a new bug week is coming up, so ill be posting some other bugs soon. I really hope this gets fixed in 5.9!

All you need is zeal

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 02:40
Fixed. Adjusting the alpha mapping of an instanced object will not force the loss of transparency.

One change you have to make in your demo - when the space key is pressed adjusting the alpha of object 2 will have no effect, instead adjust the alpha of object 1 and the instanced object will then follow suit.
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 02:45 Edited at: 1st Oct 2005 02:46
"when the space key is pressed adjusting the alpha of object 2 will have no effect, instead adjust the alpha of object 1 and the instanced object will then follow suit"

Nooooooooooooooo! That means we have to use Clones if we want to fade little detail objects (rocks, bushes, trees) into the scene. PLEASE leave alpha mapping independent for each instanced object (just as position and rotation are).

How else are we supposed to elegantly add objects to the scene (just having them pop out of nowhere is not the answer!). Other than fog we have no other options, please dont take this one away!

All you need is zeal
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 02:56
Instancing an object simply gives you the same object again - resources are shared.

Clone makes a duplicate of the object and you can then change it.

If you want to have independance in this way you should use clones.
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 07:23
I understand but clones are SO much slower than instances when youre talking hundreds of tree. For instances there are a few things you need to be independent (position, rotation, ect...) but I really think alpha should also be one of those things.

I mean its just one more parm that needs to be kept track of, and as I stated, I feel its a important one.

Again, how else can we fade objects in/out?

All you need is zeal
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 08:17
Clones are slower because they don't share info. If they make instances have their own info then they will in effect be clones and be slow.

Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 09:36
Right now instances already have a independent parameter for alpha (it just doesnt work right), because when you turn it on ONE object, it does NOT effect others. So you cant use the speed argument because they are already running at the 'slow' speed now.

This is a crucial aspect of instanced objects, just like position and rotation. There is no 'fade object in and out' command, so we NEED alpha mapping.

All you need is zeal
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:08
Ill give another example why I feel alpha mapping should be kept independent for instanced objects.

LOD. Right now I use a high poly tree, and a low poly tree. At certain distances, you might just hide the low poly, and show the high poly. However with alpha mapping, you can fade the high poly in, and low poly out. If done at the right distance this looks MUCH better then just a hide/show pop, you can barely notice the transition.

All you need is zeal
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 01:10
I have changed this and you can now have independant alpha for instanced objects Fixed in 5.9.
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 02:45
MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOURE MY HERO!!!!!!!!

Ill make you proud I swear!!!

All you need is zeal
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 12:25
Well argued Zealous!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 01:40
Hero!

1800+ XP - GeforceFX 5600 - 256MbDDR - 60Gb Hdd - XP Pro (SP2)
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 14:59
maybe tgc should ask joshk how to instance objects...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:54:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:54:34