Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DBPRO compared to BLENDER!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How is DBPRO compared to BLENDER (which is a free 3d animation and game suite.) I am very interested in DBPRO however I dont know how it stacks up to blender... better yes or no? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 07:47
use both... then use that grey matter between your head.

we can't tell you what your prefer

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 11:38
Nah, they're extremely different, in fact I have serious doubts about Blender's game making features.

Blender is basically a modeller, with script support for moving the objects about, checking collision etc - it's more like the old 3D Construction Kit you used to get on the 8 and 16 bits, design your model, then write it into the script. Now, this might sound pretty cool - but Blender is so complicated and unfriendly that you'd have to know it inside and out to make anything decent, that would take a very long time. I think it's more designed for interactive 3D environments, like architects might use software like Blender in their presentations, but I've never seen 'Made with Blender' on any game I've seen.

DBPro is a much much much much better option than Blender, in fact DB Classic is a better option than Blender, in fact writing Java games in wordpad is a better option than Blender. Sorry Blender fans, I tried to understand it - it only put me off the whole idea of making my own games, DB came to the rescue!.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 12:08
The only thing to can say when comparing the mess that is known as Blender to DBPro, is that one is a graphics program and the other isn't...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 18:21
never really understood blender actually
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 23:09
DB is WAY BETTER for most things. It's far more practical in most areas, but there are some things I would use blender for, if I could figure it out. But if I had too choose one, I'd hold on to DB for dear life!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 00:55
personally i kinda like blender, its and all in wonder type package - you can make some pretty simple Playstation-eque games (similar to what you could on the Yaroze)

but its not really anything you'd want to always use, its more for hobbiests than anything else ... Pro is more like a stepping stone onto bigger and brighter things.

its also a kickass hobbiest product too

but still his decision, you can't make it for him can you else he'll become another of a long line of the "oh dbpro isn't exactly what i'd hoped" people

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Tag
Years of Service
User Offline
raven, you have yaroze?

Dbpro is still considered a hobbiest product?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 02:24
blenders controls are different than what u would expect to most other modellers.

blender is an afterthought for a game creator and a 3d modelling render app firstly.

DBP is more designed for game creation.

blenders company died a while back but resurged due to a good public rallying.

meladolusgocas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Thanks you guys for the replies, I suppose what I should do is just download the demo and check out what I CAN do with DBPRO.

I myself have become quite attached to Blender only because it is freeware and it fit my budget when I first got into Game creation and 3D animation. However I haven't used anything except blender at all. And yes it is true that Blender is very complicated in learning and takes awhile to get down.

I shall download the demo for DBPRO and find out what i think about it. Blender also has no portability as I know to other programs. Does DBPRO have a pretty good range of portability as far as using other file types?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 16:18:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 16:18:24