Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / London's Congestion Charge - Good or Bad?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 17:23
What does everyone think of Ken Livingstone (Mayor of London) charging 5 pounds to drive into central London.

I live and work around London but currently have no car so personally I don't care but I can't decide whether it's a good or bad thing.
Gronda, Gronda
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 17:29
they've been talking about charging for years... they actually gone ahead with it?

personally i think its stupid because its gonna kill off small companies that make a living from deliveries in/around london - just what the economy needs more unemployed/welfare cases

personally i don't understand the problem, live near LA for a few months you'll think that London ain't so bad - i thank god that i only have to go in to see friends.
you try and drive outta most parts of LA between 7-9am and you're looking at an hour traffic to move anywhere... and from what i've heard from mates it isn't that much better anywhere else.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 18:07
I certainly dont mind it, especially as I dont live anywhere near London...

It is a good idea - something needed to be done. It'll certainly one in the eye for Mr Newts opponents if it works out.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 18:12
They should have copied Singapores system, I saw it on the news, it's much better. But not living in London it doesnt bother me TOO much.

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
http://dblow.co.uk
The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 18:15
good for the environment
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 21:26
If you can afford to park your car in London then £5 is nothing. Actually they might shoot themselves in the foot if less people use the parking meters as a result of the £5 charge.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 21:38
Most of the parking money goes to private companies like NCP car parks, so I don't see it causing too many money problems.

I'm all for it ... until they decide to start the same scheme where I live
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 02:39
so if u convert that to aussie dollars its like $15 or so to enter the city as compared to a few dollars at the toll booth.

Parking prices here in sydney are a bit radical.

$1 for 15 minutes on a street meter and $15 for 2 hours upto $35 a day for parking in a carpark.

If u goto sunny queensland a parking meter there is like 20c for an hour.

Collecting money for revenue is not the solution when they already have the tools to produce extra less congestive areas with smarter planning.

the humble bypass bridge is one of the most effective time saving and less dangerous intersections to make.
it stops direct lines of traffic from ever crossing into direct paths.

It eliminates stoping starting but they want u to put ethanol mixed petrol and wreck your tyres on bad roads.

its all part of the consumerism of the automobile

Something u roll off the show room floor as it depreciates 4000 dollars just by purchasing it.

And after a few days of owning it a scratch appears that puzzles u to no ends.

great investment! not...

we have a semi good public transport system here in sydney whats it like in the uk.?

People should also learn to walk again or excercise or carpool.

I dont drive and refuse to ,Physically I have no problems driving but I refuse to be another bumper car monkey.

Imagine how much of the earth is trapped under roads not to mention the fibre optic wires and fly like satellites buzzing this little ecosystem we think is immune to our trashing.

I vote no to the way cars are made today especially the fuel consumption.

yeah my shiney new 4 wheel chariot runs on dead dinosaur juice.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 04:46
well, i dont mind coz i dont live there anymore . and of course my dad always parks outside of that area and catches the tube to work.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't mind either, but I believe its rather stupid. It will either work fully, or not work at all with a revolt from the people.

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET.
I know HTML, PHP, Perl, JavaScript, VBScript, Visual Basic, C/C++, QBasic, YaBasic, and now Dark Basic/Pro...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 19:43
yeah that i'd agree is a more sensible way... setting up toll use of certain areas of london suchas the oneway system - i mean thats the worst offender

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 16:20:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 16:20:39