Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Design Documents

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings

A couple of days ago I was talking with a game developer about generic stuff and he was the first person that mentioned design docs. For a long time I thought I was the only one using it.

I write my own design docs for a while since they are not only a good way of keeping your ideas together, but also because it helps me to review everything in one sit. They serve as a memory bank for the crazy ideas that who knows, maybe one day will be developed.

Question is: who here writes design docs and why? And do you think that many people use it?
spook
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 00:20
sometimes i think you just get on a kinda a free flow with a game, but i like to oragnize my ideas in a sort of design doc format so that i hvae something to reference. i find it very usefull, especially if you have more than one person working on the game.

say what one more time
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 04:10
Try this one, a standard document used to get across a game idea/format across to a publisher, and the one I've attached which is the kind of design doc used when a team in a publisher/developer actually starts work on the project.

Duncan Edwards is the one person who, even today, I really felt inferior to. I've never known anybody so gifted and strong and powerful with the presence that he had - Sir Bobby Charlton

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
@snowdog

The one you attached is the one I've used to make my own. I took somethings off and made it lighter.

I'll check the other one.

Still, the ammount of replies leads me to think that not that many people use design docs.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
i presume u mean writing down and documenting all of ur idea to paper and computer? if so i do

Thanks
Adam
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 00:25
those don't go too well with fps' rpg's are beter for those things.

Merranvo, taking over the net, one forum at a time.

"ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"
Darth Vad3r
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a Notebook. I keep all my ideas together there. I think I have...about 46 Ideas there right now. They're not really descriptive, but they have a simple Name, Main Character, Enemies, Weapons, Story, Terrain, and Online Play that helps me get the general idea.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 17:45
i guess i didnt...but i do now...thanks!

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean Bullshock? You never wrote one?
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Same with me . I have a notebook with storyline ideas as well as any features I want to incorporate. I also have a loose time line with goals to help keep from wandering too much.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 18:17:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 18:17:11