Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Releasing a built game.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 09:59
Hi guys, finally got this totally kick ass software, and am loving it, even though I am from the die hard programming club, I love this creation software

My question is this. Once you build your final release, I see that all media is left uncompressed, for all to see. I take it is ok to release it this way ?
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 10:12
i think someone has a program that puts all of it into an exe
i think this will hide all the files but as far as i know ,it says on the box and site you can sell it when its made so yep its probably right. you go first and if you dont get into trouble then the rest of us know lol
gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 10:22 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 10:25
Hi Erick, like you my FPS has turned up and I'm enjoying the explore. Thanks to TGC for producing it and and making it a reasonable price and also making it so open, it's a great move.

The media 'is' vulnerable, as far as I know TGC expect what is in the box so to speak to be spread far and wide. If we make our own media and want to protect it, I think we have to come up with a solution ourselves. I noticed that has already been happening. On this Forum there is a solution by a 'Rastaman'. Costs though..

gbuilder.

XP2000, 512mb Ram, 64mb GForce4 MX440 Graphics card, WindowsXP Professional.
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 10:31 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 10:33
So out the box, it seems fine to release the media.

Makes sense for for users to protect the media they created.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed.

I'm yet to find the perfect solution. Rastaman's application compresses all art in one exe file. On one hand it is good since the compression goes up to 40% in my tests. On the other hand it creates temp files thus unprotecting the media while the game is running.

As far as I know he is working on new versions, so something more might appear.

V
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 12:14
Well as long as TGC is happy with the way it is now, then I am happy, regarding their own media in FPSC that is.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well as long as TGC is happy with the way it is now, then I am happy, regarding their own media in FPSC that is."

Thing is, we are building our own media for instance, and we would love to see it protected.

V
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 13:08 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 13:09
yeah, agreed. Maybe just post it in the Feature Creep forum for packing capabilities.

I am quite content at the moment playing around with the given media, just was curious about releasing a built game with the TGC media exposed.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Done!
gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 21:53
Update,
The Rastaman gamepacker has now been released free of charge. Things can change quickly round here.

gbuilder.

XP2000, 512mb Ram, 64mb GForce4 MX440 Graphics card, WindowsXP Professional.
Arness
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 00:57
i know a way to do it with out downloading or costing a thing
first u have to have window xp
if yes justput your files in a commpresed folder folder
then open it then right click then hit add password

Fps Creator Forever!!!and ever and ever and ever and ever...
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 01:16
That's very nice, but they are talking when you run the program. It's one EXE (from what I understand) with all the assets packed into the file. I believe your talking "zipping" the files which is not the same.

As it stands now, without this gamepacker (or mine) anyone can take your assets and use them with or without your permission. It would be your job to hunt down people who use your own personal assets (which sucks).

-This...is my boomstick!
RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 02:08
This is true CellBloc. Sometime ago I bought GameStudio Commercial Edition, since then have upgraded to their A6 version. To protect my content I purchased ThinStall. http://www.thinstall.com

At the time of purchase, ThinStall was roughly $600. The last version was 2.1 before they went to this studio version idea. But now it cost $5000 per game license.

It's the best protection available for commerical games which require contents be protected.

I still use ThinStall 2.1, but have not tested it on an FPSC game.

Another useful 'Packer' is MoleBox Pro. http://www.molebox.com. At the time, they had problems packing 3DGS Games. They have come far since then and worth a look. I have not tried this one on FPSC either, but worth a shot, and priced around $50 - $100, but unlimited packing license.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 02:24
RastaMan,

Are you developing games with FPSC?

RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 02:44
@ uman, yes.

Using 3DGS takes too much time. A lot of functionality is based on how well you can C script.

So I moved on to FPSC. I don't have any 'professional' plans, but in my spare time, I like to see what I can come up with and maybe others will enjoy it once I do finalize some games with it.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 02:45
I just made a quick game packer with the file map commands that come with the Enhancement Pack, but that is me.

Nothing against your software by any means, I just like to code (and model, and create music, and sound effects, and fonts, etc etc)...

It's good that you released it for free. I read a lot of people on the FPSC forums don't currently have the resources to get high end products, but by the community helping those with free programs such as yours, they can learn how this wacky world of game programming comes together.

Thanks again for supplying this program for free.

-This...is my boomstick!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 04:37
RastaMan,

I use A6 Commercial too as well as FPSC and others. I remember seeing you at the 3DGS forums so just wondered what you were going to do with FPSC.

Thanks for the installer.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 04:41
watch out when releasing games with scripts...monster likes to "borrow" and sell peoples scripts.

Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 07:58
where is this said Rustaman gamepacker ?

can anyone who has molebox see if it works with FPSC ?
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 09:14 Edited at: 12th Oct 2005 09:19
awsome thanks yes, nothing is ever 100% safe for protection

This app seems cool, will give it a bash tonight

btw = I cant seem to get molebox to pack correctly.
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 18:35 Edited at: 12th Oct 2005 21:04
There is a program called FPSPack that will comppress you media files in your game. It is free!!!!

EDIT: It also encrypts your exe file!!!!
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "THANKS Rastaman for deciding to offer it for FREE!"

Quote: "Thanks again for supplying this program for free."

Quote: "It's good that you released it for free. "

Quote: "The Rastaman gamepacker has now been released free of charge. Things can change quickly round here."

I think so.

I ALWAYS have flame proof jacket...just in case...and a shotgun. If you want any, just ask!

We are all nice,except for that one who's name starts in a m and ends in erranvo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 18:06:46
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 18:06:46