Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Design Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After designing a fairly large level, my framerates are in the 15 to 9 Frames Per Second. This is not acceptable. My question is this:

How big of a building, how many entities and how many enemies are acceptable to get a decent frame rate?

Like someone else mentioned before, when you press the "[" key while testing, it looks like MUCH more than what can be seen is being rendered, possibly slowing things down even more. Any ideas?

I really need to figure this out so I can get playable levels, and not spend tons of time perfecting a level, only to find out it's not playable.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not only a matter of how big a level is or the number of entities. It's also a matter of viewable area. For instance, if you have a very large room or a huge outdoor area with many things to be "seen", then it will slow down also.

Can you give us an idea of how the level is?
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 18:42
SCREENIES!!! YeA!!!!!

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here you go. I'm in the process of switching all of the lights to static mode, so that may help a bit. *shrug*

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
A tower?... I can't see it now mate, sorry. Still I find difficult that a tower fits the description I mentioned.

Have you tried to build the EXE and run it... just to check the performance.
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:02
Dynamic lights take a lot of juice. There is really no need for them unless you want them to all be turned off and on or move .
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Vlad

A tower as in the tower of London, which was a prison. The level is not of the tower of London, but it is a prison; a five floor, one hundred cell prison...which coincidentally is underground.

LOL Yeah, I'm thinking of changing the name. It started out life as a tower, but the idea changed a bit since then.

@Lon

I'm going to turn all of the lights into static entities and see if that helps. Too bad though, the atmosphere was incredible with all of those randomly flashing lights.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I just changed out all of the flickering lights with ones that are just on, and removed all of the guards. Bottom line is:

Lighting change = No improvment.
Removing guards = around 31 fps.

It seems that the guards were the big problem. Also, I have around 101 doors, 100 of which require a key to open. How much do doors slow things down?
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, all lights are now on, no guards = 50+ fps. If I put one guard in, it goes down to 30-40 fps. With as little as 5 guards, I get 15 fps. So it's definately the guards that are causing the slowdown. Apparently all of that pacing and following waypoints is what's doing it?

*sigh* I could take them all out, but whoever heard of an unguarded prison?
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 03:49
Never been in a Court House in Atlanta have you?

-This...is my boomstick!
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL

I remember that!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 17:59
You cant have a huge outdoor area in FPSC - the max world size does not meet the criteria of a huge world tag - but you can still have unacceptably low FPS. As FPSC is relatively erratic in its inefficiencies trial and error is the only way to be sure what you can achieve in any given map.

To be sure the more you have in it (over differing level heights particularly) - the more likely you are to have difficulty maintaining fps.

To achieve what you may like in many instances wont be possible so you will have to design to the engines current limitations until such time - if ever, improvements are made to various speed issues.

Dont expect to actually fill the full map world area with complex content particularly if your level is not completely indoors as you will never achieve it and still maintain anything like acceptable frame rates.

There is now technically no object map limit - it was fixed in V1. entities, static in particular can certainly be used in large numbers - High thinking enemies and alike are a big drain certainly and so too as you have mentioned there are certainly areas of a map that can still cause impossible lagg seemimgly when FPSC incorrectly calculates massive polygon counts when it appears that it should not. e.g. when there is little in actual view - this occurs mostly at extremities so the further you get from the world centre in any direction while viewing a scene the more likely it is to occur.

The only way you can actually find out where an fps slowdown will occur exactly is to actually build the world so theres no way around that - choosing to build a complex world therefore, you should be prepared to accept that you may not achieve any design plan for a particular level and that you may have to be flexible in that design. If you cant do that then FPSC may not be able to achieve what you want.

If you get unacceptable fps creep in while level building sometimes the additional work of changing a level design and rebuilding parts and moving placement of dynamic enties around in a spaced out manner will improve things - sometimes not. Unfortunately its a matter of trial and error in high content, complex levels especially if they include outdoor areas.

FPSC Dungeon crawlers should be OK - thus far I see little that slows down this kind of level if built with gameplay in a linear fashion as recommended - thats what FPSC was designed to create. Once you expose yourself to the great outdoors your fps difficulties will increase in complex levels.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 18:50
My Computer crashes every time i run a map with dynamic lighting with full light mapping.

I have a Radeon 9200 Atlantis with 128mb DDR and VIVO (Video in, Video out). Is it my card that causes these crashes?

AE
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the information uman, I appreciate it! Hopefully some of these problems will be solved by the Riker9 release (?). I hope so anyway.

AE

Most likely. I just ditched my ATI Radeon 9250 because it didn't do shaders and it was giving me some other problems. You might try NVIDIA's cards, they seem to work very well.

HP Pavilion A705W 2.93 GHz, 1GB RAM, BFG Tech GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB, 160 GB HDD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 17:47:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 17:47:38