Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Script for pickup 3 or 5 items or use 3 or 5 switches to open a door

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 18:02
OK, I've finished the scripts. These scripts allow you to open a door, by either switching on 3 or 5 switches or collecting 3 or 5 items. The switches or items can be used in random order.

Just apply the 3to_open_door.fpi or 5to_open_door.fpi script to a door and give each switch or item the needed script. Make sure each switch or item has a different number. The 3switches1.fpi & 3switches2.fpi & 3switches3.fpi or 3pickups1.fpi & 3pickups2.fpi & 3pickups3.fpi belong to the 3to_open_door.fpi and the stuff with 5 in front of it to the 5to_open_door.fpi.

There's also 3or5pickups_fake.fpi script. You can use this with the items to place 'fake' ones between the real ones. This way it will look as if the player has to find much more items then he really needs to, but he doesn't know.

Give the items a Physics Weight of 0, that way they'll float in the air.

Also make sure each item to be picked up or switch to be used has exactly the same name, otherwise it will not work. Do also refer in each item or switch to the to be opened door, set the If Used in AI Automated to the correct door. The door value Use Key in AI Automated has to reffer to the switches or items.

You could also mix and match items and switches, just make sure to let each item or switch have it's own number. (For example mix this way: 3switches1.fpi, 3switches2.fpi and 3pickups3.fpi)

For switches I've used the Switch7 found in Entity Library >>> Scifi >>> Wall Furniture, but you can use a different one, but perhaps the script for each switch will need some adaption. I don't know, I've only got the demo and it's the only switch available.

Last remark..... have fun with the scripts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 18:31
These are great. It's weird, just today I was trying to think of a way to do this to make my level less linear by making the objectives more complex.

You've saved me a lot of work, thanks.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 21:32
Thanks! I'm glad you like it, if you now in return create some cool every day human models for me, everyone is happy

Anyway, I'm looking at FPSC for creating some interactive enviroments. Don't need the shooting and such, but I just want the user to walk through a 3D enviroment. In it, he/she can interact (more like get info from) characters in this world. While the player moves around in the 3D enviroment, a story unfolds. But to get the complete picture, the player also has to 'play' simple games, like finding keys for doors. Since that is quite limited, I decided to try some stuff in FPSC, to make the gaming element more challeging.

So, this script set is the first I wanted to create as a test, who knows what else I come up with as soon as I decide to get the full version. There seems to be much more possible then hat you get with it and I love to exlore the puzzle and non shooting elements of the FPSC. Of course I'm keeping an eye on those who do bring these kind of elements into their game too. Love to see others creating scripts for this kind of non shooting game elements. Not sure how is possible though.....
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 23:05
uhh... please post your dominate script...

First, you don't need to TAKE (not all items are takable) but HIDE. setalphafade=0.

second, LISTEN TO ME.
incstate=1 will incriment state by 1, this will allow much easier changes.

Third, don't overdo states. you are going upto 210! you don't need that many.

"ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"

He who knows everything knows nothing at all.
Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 01:13
Thans for trying to help me out, I'm not following you completely though, it's hard to script without decent examples and only by going by the manual.

I've tried using setalphafade, but somehow I don't seem to get it right at all. Also in this case the player collects all of the items in order to activate an entity, so imo take was well chosen.

incstate I really don't yet understand how to use that one.

I really do appreciatte you trying to help me, but I'm not an expert in scripting at all. Since the manual is no good when it comes to learning to script all I can do is read other scripts and try to figure out somehow what they do mean.

So throwing out just a term isn't going to help me to get better at all, I wouldn't know what to do with it all. Actually no beginner would. An example... that's completely different. If you show me (or any other beginner) an example of what you mean, instead of just loose terms (as the manual does also), it would be much more helpful.

I'm not saying this to offend you at all. For you most of the scripting terms mean something, to me they don't. This has only been my second attempt to create a script and it seems to work. I've got no doubt it can be better, but with just telling me to use setalphafade=0 and incstate=1, I've got no clue what to with those.

It's just like throwing algebra to kid who just learned how to count from 1 to 10..... Again I'm not trying to be offensive or unpolite, just trying to make you see how you could perhaps help us beginners to improve our scripting more effectively. I'm eager & willing to learn..... but learning can be done best by example.

Sorry for the long post.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 01:36
setalphafade=0 will make the item "disappear" (I thought that would be appearent)
incstate=1 will make state=1 become state=2, or state=2 become state=3.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 02:50
Riker 9 will allow direct typing.
GO ONKEY=!!!

I'll post a program to show what the onkeys are

Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 15:11
Conjured Entertainment, the idea sounds great. Doesn't sound like it impossible. I know you can get a door open with collecting items or switching on switches in a perticular order. I've set my script to do in in a random order, but in a set order should be possible too.

The one thing I haven't figured out is resetting everything, if the player makes a mistake, got no idea if that's even possible.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 00:06
know this is off topic, but while I have your attention Merrannov.
I was hoping to ask you a question.

When are you going to accept PayPal payments at AC Code??

I want to buy some of your packs, but I am leery of other payment methods.

I am not monster... I just borrowed his name for a while.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:49:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:49:08