Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Turn Off Frame Rate Sync

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you turn off the frame rate sync?
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 22:10
Depends. Try "X" when you are running it from the FPSC Editor in Debug Mode. When you are running the EXE, your SOL.

-This...is my boomstick!
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
What is SOL?
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 22:12
your SOL????

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 22:13 Edited at: 20th Oct 2005 22:18
Shxt OutOf Luck.

You can almost hear the wheels grinding....

Quote: "SYNC OFF
This command is used to improve the performance of demanding programs that require a consistent frame rate. This is especially true of games. By default, sync is set to off which allows the system to automatically handle screen refreshing. When SYNC ON is used, your program is responsible for handling screen refreshing. You can refresh the screen using the SYNC command. When you want the system to automatically handle screen refreshing again, you can use the SYNC OFF command. By placing the SYNC command at the end of your main program loop, all drawing and refresh tasks can occur in a single call. This dramatically increases the speed and smoothness of graphical operations, allowing your programs to run at their best."

That someone read that and wondered, "Gee, I know how I can make FPSC run faster!"

-This...is my boomstick!
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 23:49 Edited at: 20th Oct 2005 23:50
Some modern video drivers such as ATI's Catalyst and NVIDIA's ForceWare allow you to force it off no matter what the application wants.

Good luck getting faster frame rates though.

HP Pavilion A705W 2.93 GHz, 1GB RAM, BFG Tech GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB, 160 GB HDD
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 00:03 Edited at: 21st Oct 2005 00:03
Yeah, good luck since in the code you got this line:

Quote: "2121: sync on : sync rate 30 : autocam off : disable systemkeys"

So there is no way in heck your going to go faster than around 30 unless you change the Source and compile to be:

Quote: "2121: sync on : sync rate 0 : autocam off : disable systemkeys"

But that opens up a new cans of worms...

-This...is my boomstick!
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 00:22
LOL... mabey you should add that into the setup.ini file so people can see how freaked out it gets!

"ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"

He who knows everything knows nothing at all.
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But that opens up a new cans of worms..."

Like speed issues ... you want the character to walk but it moves as it were running ... thus, to prevent that speed adjustment coefficients should be added.
Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 18:28
And 30 FPS is not always a good idea. While about 30 FPS is good for television, it is not appropriate for computer games (though passable). 60 FPS is better for computer games as computer monitors refresh faster and have a higher resolution. This means that the human eye can actually tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS on a computer monitor while this is not the case with a standard TV.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 00:30
hmm... how can the human eye see faster then it can see? even if it is "specail" moniters?

First... you all are ignoring more factors then you realize. So you move a little faster. So scripts run faster then ment to, So collision errors may occur (given that the buffer isn't increased in size), so well... I don't know any more, but Syncing is used constantly. What if time could move at different speeds? SHUT UP Albert... But the point is that Syncing isn't causing slow DOWNS, it is maintaining pace. And as FPSC has a tendency to go freaky with Fraps (up, down, up, down) you don't want a free frap rate. Set it to the average. but don't let it roam wild.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 00:54 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2005 00:56
I have "tried" to get better speed from it. I found out that ripping out all the Multiplayer makes the game run faster. As to why this is so, I have no idea.

Also I have found numerous issues with the ODE Physics engine as to it killing the frame rate to 5. I was going to move everthing to Newton to be more stable, but I'm not that brave just yet.

When they fix some of the collision issues in Version 6.0 of DBPro, I am quite sure I can get a lot more speed from it.

Maybe in the next version of Riker 9.

-This...is my boomstick!
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cellbloc: maybe 2 versions of Riker 9's exe should be released: one with the MP code included and the other one without it (this one should then go faster for single player modes).
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 01:46 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2005 02:40
I have thought about this LONG and HARD.

Personally I don't care about Multiplayer one bit (I don't see a market for it, just for friends to play together). I could add so much to the single player if I break them in two (Frame rates will go through the roof for one).

We shall see.

-This...is my boomstick!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 02:20
that would be awesome if you separated multiplayer and single player. since you cant make a single exe of both types...it really makes no sence that they are 1 engine.

plus, you could do a lot more with both of them if they were separated.

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 03:18
Quote: " hmm... how can the human eye see faster then it can see? even if it is "specail" moniters?"

Simply because the human eye can see much more than 30 FPS:

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Quote: "First... you all are ignoring more factors then you realize. So you move a little faster. So scripts run faster then ment to, So collision errors may occur (given that the buffer isn't increased in size), so well... I don't know any more, but Syncing is used constantly. What if time could move at different speeds? SHUT UP Albert... But the point is that Syncing isn't causing slow DOWNS, it is maintaining pace. And as FPSC has a tendency to go freaky with Fraps (up, down, up, down) you don't want a free frap rate. Set it to the average. but don't let it roam wild."

Depending on how things are set up, frame rates (i.e. how many frames are pushed to the screen in a second) do not have to control all other things in the game. AI, player movement, etc can all be done on a time based system independent of FPS. In another game engine I have FPS well over 200 and all other things run constant. Why should FPS creator be any different?
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 03:45
Actually... I think first off, you don't read.
In the REAL article that he ^^ "forgot" to cite, it tells me that, YES you CAN see at 220fps, but if it contrasts greatly against the original. A suddent shot of white can be seen when contrasted against black... yet a suddent shot of black is NOT noticed when contrasted against white... what does this mean? We CAN NOT see 200fps. Oops. Appearantly we can only see accuratly at 100fps, for at that time we fail to notice the smaller details of each frame. And even then, 100fps is optimum. At most, we need to see at 70fps. Hmm... confusing.

Even more confusing is you "200 fps" game... lets do a little math.
I don't believe that you can push 200fps with real graphics and not suffer severly.

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 11:04
Merranvo,

You miss the point entirely. I never did say that we can see accurately at 200 FPS. Notice what I stated in my post ... that we can certainly see more than 30 FPS. Therefore, why lock FPSC to 30 FPS. It makes a difference if when using a computer instead of watching a television. As noted, a TV does not need more than about 30 FPS because of the low resolution and the slow refresh. This creates blurring that will help to fool the eye into seeing smooth motion. The higher resolution and faster refresh rates of computer monitors make it so that the eye is not so fooled at slower frame rates. Therefore it is not the best thing to restrict frame rates to about 30 especially when the eye can see 60 or so on a computer monitor.

Quote: "Even more confusing is you "200 fps" game... lets do a little math.
I don't believe that you can push 200fps with real graphics and not suffer severly."

Here you make two statements and then fail to support your claim. You state, "lets do a little math" and then do none. What were you attempting to prove? Secondly, you state what you "believe" but then do not give any supporting evidence. Why would you "suffer severly" at 200 FPS? What exactly are you refering too?

In any case, the project I was referring too (with over 200 FPS) was not a completed game or even a completed level. The idea I was trying to get across is that the movement of characters and timing was not affected by the frame rate display on the monitor. In other words, the character did not appear to run when he was walking, etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 19:30:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 19:30:29