Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Decal Speed

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 03:54
Anyone yet found a way to slow decal speed down in script or otherwise?.

The default speed of FPSC animated decals is way too fast for many situations and as with all things FPSC overiding the defaults does not seem to be easy to achieve.

Any help would be appreciated.

You have my thanks - always.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 22:58 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 22:58
Perhaps no ones done this?

A workaround it is then.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 23:17
double the frames in the decal!

"ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"

He who knows everything knows nothing at all.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 19:51
Merranvo, sounds like that might qork in priciple of course as its logical.

I will therefore try that - though decals are somewhat complicated. I am not sure for instance if doubling the image numbers would result in a decal of half the size? and other difficulties like that cropping up which in turn would require further workarounds.

Anyway I will have a look see.

Thanks

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 21:01
Tried that,

As thought, doubling the frames halves the decal image size but has no influence at all on the decal speed except that it seems to make it faster - probably by a factor of 2.

I could try halving the number of frames - that may have some influence - will try that.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 21:23
Tried half frames - thats faster too.

One more idea and I'm out

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2005 01:26
loco FPSC

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2005 05:20 Edited at: 27th Oct 2005 05:24
Gave up on the decal speed Out of ideas for the moment - may try again when my head is clearer.

Actually what I was tring to achieve was a gas cloud a bit like volumetric fog so really little if any movement is needed (a little would be best). Animated fog would do the trick except that it would need to be of irregular shape - complicated in FPSC seeing as it dont seem to have any.

In the meantime I have a work around using a texture applied to a no collison entity with transparency applied for the gas cloud. Looks reasonable and with careful lighting should do the trick - same with water - though I use an animated decal with transparency applied to a collision free entity in the water instance.

Whats needed are true fog and water zones. Workarounds will never cut the ice in professionalism, but we does our best with what we have to work with.

Done lasers (fake of course)...

New doors, teleporters, lifts, conveyor belts, weapons and more to do.

cheers

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 22:54
screw decals, use entities!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 14:46 Edited at: 31st Oct 2005 14:46
What do you mean use entities? I use entities to carry a decal animation to advantage where necessary, but its limited and inflexible.

Now an entity with a true animated texture? Now thats another matter. That would be nice. Would come in handy in a spot I need an animated texture to play on a cylinder. ohh the thought of it.

I think thats going to be hard work in FPSC unless you actually animate a model to animate the texture frame by frame on the model which would require a lot of frames for the model not to mention to mention any texture requirements.

The ability to play or apply video or true animated texture on an object is the only real answer. The current decal system which is the only way to animate textures on level objects as far as I can see - is at best as basic and unprofessional as it can get with little control and is so restricted in its users control as to make this an area that certainly needs some help from the developers side - if anyones listening.

At the very least a much improved and more flexible decal system with greater control would certainly be very helpful in providing FPSC with much needed professional results in this area.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2005 22:18
enemies have animations...

Your mod has been erased by a signature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:37:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:37:13