Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is FPS Creator going to have faster framerates any time soon?
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
nevermind
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 05:01
Riker9. 'Nuff said.

Mwahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 10:36
If you are sensible with your world building then high framerates are perfectly possible.

If you find you are getting low framerates in a certain part of the level, then try some of these steps.

Remove some of the models you have on view
Close down the part of the level e.g. with doors so there is less to render

if that doesn't work, then rethink that part of the level, taking into account the more that can be seen, the more polygons need to be rendered.

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 11:09
Quote: " If you are sensible with your world building then high framerates are perfectly possible."

Actually, no. Frame rates are currently "locked" at something like 33 FPS. So high frame rates are not possible no matter how you build your level ... not until we can play with the source code.

Quote: "If you find you are getting low framerates in a certain part of the level, then try some of these steps."

While the steps would normally be good ones, FPS Creator tends to have fairly low frame rates even with level geometry that is not complex, that uses small textures and even when there are few entities (models) in the level. As a case in point, run any of the demo levels that come with FPS Creator (the scifi demos or WW2, etc) and pay attention to the frame rates you get.

I think FPS Creator has a lot of potential (and it is a lot of fun to play with as well ), but I think that the creators need to take a serious look at why it is so slow. Instead of people asking (from time to time) how to increase frame rates we should be asking about how to CAP them instead.

Frankly, instead of the creators placing a cap on FPS Creator games they should have left that an option that could be filled in by the creator. But that is just my oppinion .
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 11:49
Quote: "Actually, no. Frame rates are currently "locked" at something like 33 FPS. So high frame rates are not possible no matter how you build your level ... not until we can play with the source code"

Yes, the FPS is locked, but it is to keep everything in sync and smooth. It's only when the FPS falls the problems start.

The source code is available to download now, have a look in the bug reports forum

Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 17:13
Quote: "While the steps would normally be good ones, FPS Creator tends to have fairly low frame rates even with level geometry that is not complex, that uses small textures and even when there are few entities (models) in the level. As a case in point, run any of the demo levels that come with FPS Creator (the scifi demos or WW2, etc) and pay attention to the frame rates you get."

Done so, the fps on my system is very stable always between 30-32fps with an (very) occasional drop to 26-27fps. Not bad.

I've created some larger levels already and I agree with John, just be sensible.

My level is much more complex and full of items then the demos are, but still I'm getting not lower then 25fps. I've created a training facility. One of the levels contains the following: Entrance (with desks, computer, seatings and a host). Training Room (with 14 desks + chairs + pads and two teachers), Sleeping Room (3 levels with beds & lockers & 2 people), Computer Room (8 computers + 1 technician), Living Room (4 tables, 12 chairs, lockers) and 2 Training Rooms (1 has a 5 levels with 4 elevators, the other is labyrinth with 10 items to collect).

The total facility is almost the full map, a number of levels high. It's connected through corridors and an outside platform to join two seperate buildings. In total there are about 10 people 'working'in the facility.

Once the player has finished going through this facility (he/she has had enough training), the player will go to an even larger facility to get more training. This facility has besides 9 rooms, a huge labyrinth in the basement and 14 people in.

Both of the facilities do have windows in the rooms, doors, a number of wall items and some overlays.

Even on a bad day (with lots of work already done on the pc and a number of programs running in the background) I still get 27fps with drops to 23fps at times. Wit a fresh start, I do get around 30fps with drops to 25-27fps.

My system? Judt a basic one.... AMD Athlon 2Ghz (XP2400+), 1Gb Ram and Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb. I'm planning on testing it on a much older system to see how it performs there.

On the other hand, I can see that raising the fps would be very helpfull when it comes to larger and more complex maps. It would allow for much more characters in the maps too. When it comes to placing entities, FPSC is limited at the moment.

But raising the fps and creating more complex stuff, would mean that the min reqs would go up to. I doubt my system will be able to handle much more then it does now. Still sensibility required....

FYI Dan, look up the threads called Riker9. The guy who's working on that, has laready been able to raise the fps considerably. Not sure at what cost though.....

By the way, hi DAN, you just popped over from the 3DGS forums

If I do use FPSC to create a FPS? What's a FPS supposed to be anyway???
Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 22:48
Simple levels on a modern PC should be shooting frame rates of 100, 200 or even more FPS. FPS Creator tends to not hit the 33 FPS "cap" and can dip lower.

Quote: "Yes, the FPS is locked, but it is to keep everything in sync and smooth."

If the core of the programming for FPS Creator is created properly then things will run in sync at ANY frame rate (as long as they are above 5 FPS or so). Therefore there will be no differences for coded events like player walk speed, AI, opening doors, etc at 20 FPS, 60 FPS or even 200 FPS ... if the engine is coded properly. Some old games back in the days of DOS/Win95/98 had events tied to frame rates. I can remember a game called "Fade to Black" that had a setting to slow down the game on "fast" computers because of this. But this has not been the case in modern games.

This being the case, FPS Creator does not need a mandatory lock on frame rates.

Quote: "By the way, hi DAN, you just popped over from the 3DGS forums"

Yep. I bought FPS Creator because I think it is a cool and fun product. I like the idea.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 19:22:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 19:22:20