Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Sound advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've looked at the 3dsound command in the manual, but I can't quite get it. Here's what I need:

I want to place a radio in a room that plays a soundfile. As the player approaches, it gets louder. As he moves away, it fades.
I hope this is simple for someone out there, but it baffles me.

The reasearch that I've done on the forum lets me know that it can be done, but not how.

Anyway, I'd be thankfull for any help.
FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm doing something like that now. Bummer. Thanks.
FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2005 22:24
3d sound uses stereo, that means that it plays 1 sound in 1 speaker and another in another speaker

Your mod has been erased by a signature.
FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
Right, but how can it be adjusted?
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2005 23:26
That is HOW it works.

FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, look, I undrstand how stereo works, but take a look at my original question. I want to sound to vary by proximity. Right now, if I attach a sound to an object, I can hear it throughout the entire level at the same volume.
FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess half is worse than none.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 15:46
I use numerous 3D sound loops and they do fade over distance though they can be heard albeit continuously at a lesser volume throughout the level.

The 3D sound command does seem to work therefore - however you have to utilise the whole level area and be able to move through to the extremities before you hear the difference dramatically fade in and out. In a small area or room its not apparent. Control of the range is therefore needed or as suggested perhaps making the original sound fade in at beggining and out at end would provide a workaround. FPSC is full of workarounds - they are something thats not really the answer to the problems.

One other thing that is really necessary is a stop command (other than zone control) otherwise if you have a lot of sounds in a level and they all continuously want to play with disreguard to player proximity then sooner or later you will end up with too many sounds being called at once with the result that some may not be able to play as the number of allowed sounds that can be played by a system all at once is exceeded.

Zones are fine but anyone know for instance if you can overlap many differing types of zones without FPSC getting twisted up? Using many differing types of zones extensively if overlapping in a level could get very confusing I would imagine?

I have not experimented fully with 3D sound and associated commands, but the basic command does control the sound as it should albeit in a limited fashion. As with almost all other areas of FPSC without exception much more flexibility and user control is needed.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 23:13
Are you using stereo waves?

FernandoK
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried mono,tried stereo, tried waves, tried ogg-vobis, tried....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:12:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:12:03