Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone know if there will be a V2 of FPSC in the future?
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a bit irrelevant if you want my opinion. The actual version is quite new, it has a lot of space for improvement and the community itself has a lot to learn and to do before anything new happens.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 16:16
At least another 2 years, if at all. I don't see TGC making a new version, there is nothing wrong with this version, and the architecture is certainly flexible enough for updates.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 16:22
Lee doesn't really like follow-ups, he prefers new ideas - maybe TGC will make another game creation platform like FPSC, but I doubt we'd see a FPSC2.
Of course we'll see updates to v1, and an update might bring it into v2, v3, v4 etc - but that's more likely to be bug fixes and performance improvements as DBPro develops.

Van-B

Put those fiery biscuits away!
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
I would definatly like to see new updates for FPSC V1, and people are making some great stuff for it.

But I think it would be wrong to make a new peice of game creation software like FPSC, because people will be used to FPSC and then we'll have to get used to something else...best to stick with updates

Your signature has been erased by a mod
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:18
What Van B said.

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:30
Call it what you like, Update, V2 or whatever TGC have indicated, suggested and indeed said on a number of occasions they are committed to future development of FPSC. That may not be the case now, but I have not yet heard TGC officially say they wont be doing anything more to develop or support FPSC further.

Unless you are talking about designing a brand new game engine from scratch - from the very base up to be something more than anything TGC currently have then no one wants or needs another mirror product that does the same things and has the same or very similar capabilities presented in a different package - TGC have enough already.

Its not quantity but quality that counts in game engines as with anything else. I would not mind a top of the range engine but if TGC want to make one I dont want to know about till its ready in about ten years, or it would just be another constant case of "whens it going to be released then " - being realistic, theres plenty of room for improvement to keep FPSC developing for ten years and if TGC is not prepared to do it or its considered not worth developing further for whatever reason, then another similar development is just likely to end up going the same route as previous products and running out of steam. Thats not needed. What is - is committment to make a good product and sustain its development to its maximum potential before embarking on further brainstorm ideas.

In the world of game engines there are only a couple of options for developers.

Either you design a product for the future with the intention of supporting it with further development and that to the best of your knowledge at the time will support expansion to meet with future technology advances, you design a stand alone product that is an end in itself or you mix n match with a pot shot product that you intend to support or not if you can patch it, fix it, or otherwise as the case may be depending on prevailing circumstances.

The decisions to be made when thinking of developing a game engine are obviously many and the route throught with difficulty. Good long term planning, committment and credibility of the product are just some things which need taking into account for its long term success or failure.

Honestly I have no real idea how far FPSC could be taken and for how long it mught be sustained as a viable engine in the game making arena, ones thing is for certain currently it has room for some considerable improvement and further expansion of features and functions which dont seem to be impossible for TGC to consider implimenting if they so desire - before its reached its potential.

Given the committment FPSC I am sure could progress to become an improved product that would sustain TGC supporters and game makers for some time at least until that top of the range elusive engine comes along in ten years time.

Making games is what game engines are all about.....continually swapping engines or waiting for new ones or indeed waiting for that next upgrade will never get your game made which is in large part why there arnt many made with indie engines, users are always waiting for development advaces or fixes to bugs or features or code or engine which dont work correctly, always expecting a better product which gives them the stability to develop with peace of mind. Unfortunately in reality in the indie world - that kind of engine is rarely if ever to be found.

If FPSC was developed to its full potential to include some of the obvious missing capabilities required for modern game making that would be about as good as you are going to get.

Well something like that anyway....

In the mean time its back to making games.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:41
Yea what uman said !

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:41
In my opinion: "I prefer make someting that its possible whit the original FPSC. If later come new featurs, welcome to this features."

This is not an attack, I am happy whit the people that are making changes to the game engine source code and probably I will use it.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 19:05
=ChrisB=

Where have you been? not seen you around for a while.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 21:49
I rather have a good functioning, stable, as bug free as possible V1.01, then a new V2 with many additions and new features that still is plagued by problems.

I'm not saying that FPSC is unstable and troublesome, it's actually quite stable. But.... there are some bugs (like the story zone bug and fog bug for example) that really shouldn't be there in V1.

I really do hope that it will not take ages to correct these ones, after all the are broken features, we've all paid for those.

I rather have those fixed then looking at what can or cannot be in V2.

Be inovative and creative.... don't create a fps with FPSC.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 22:19
ya me too...

i vote for a ALMOST bug free V1...not V2

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 00:47
I wouldn't hold your breath, there where broken features in DBP that still have not been fixed.

Run before you can walk, always raise the stakes higher, always keep moving, because you never know who's catching up.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 01:01
I agree that there is plenty of things to learn first. I'm sure the bugs will be addressed, let's hope.

-Keith
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 01:25
I'm fine with updates, as long as we get new features. Theres plenty of features that should be added to help the newbie that dosn't know anything about game development to feel at home with this product. This is what FPSC was built for, and sadly, it's drifting away from that thought system.

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 02:12
Is there a list somewhere of things for the developers to consider in future updates. Something that can be added to regularly...a sticky perhaps?

-Keith
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 02:46 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 02:47
Everyone has some valuable input here it seems to me.

Sunflash,

You may well be somewhat correct though we really have no idea what if any plan TGC have for FPSC as we are not privy to such info, we always have to try and read between the lines often having to somewhat formulate opinions that are incorrect or misleading without any real guidance.

TGC does not have a forecast list or development plan that is available to forum members and no such development direction is ever indicated by TGC. I guess this leaves their options open completely and commits them to nothing. In many ways we cant blame them for that. They have kept their promises as far as FPSC is concerned and if they dont promise they dont have to deliver. Still a thinking direction might be nice to know but perhaps thats unlikely. TGC do make development forecasts for their products but it seems that this near after the release of V1 its probably to early for them to access the product and where it may go next - other than it may compliment DBP and vice versa.

Perhaps in the new year TGC will have a clearer view on the product and some further info will be forthcoming as to its future. I am sure as and when they have any info they will make it available.

I am sure there is a plan for FPSC and I dont think it will kind of wander as aimlessly as some may think, though I may be wrong.

Talk about brainstorm FPSC is indeed one really when you think of it and is why EDGE are apparently to feature it I guess - its an innovative product and I would like to see it continue to be such. TGC are I hope proud of it as it is empowering for many who not long ago were powerless.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 03:42
Quote: "it is empowering for many who not long ago were powerless."

And my point is, lets keep it that way

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 04:56 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 05:45
@uman:
2 things:
Hey!!!!!!

Scotty doesn't know,
That Fionna and me,
Do it in my van every Sunday.

She tells him shes in church,
But she doesn't go,
Still shes on her knees, and...

Scotty doens't know, oh.
Scotty doesn't know-oh.
So don't tell Scotty!
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know.
SO DON'T TELL SCOTTY!

Fionna says shes out shopping,
But shes under me and I'm not stopping.

Cuz Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know.
So don't tell Scotty.
Scotty doesn't knoooooow....
DON'T TELL SCOTTY!

I can't believe he's so trusting,
While I'm right behind you thrusting.

Fionna's got him on the phone,
and she's trying not to moan.
It's a three way call,
and he knows nothing.
NOTHING!!!

Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Don't tell Scotty.
Cuz Scotty doesn't know,
SO DON'T TELL SCOTTY!

We'll put on a show, everyone will go.
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,

The, parking lot, why not?
It's so cool when you're on top.
His front lawn, in the snow.
Laughing so hard, cuz...

Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know.

I did her on his birthday.

Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Scotty doesn't know,
Don't tell Scotty.

Scotty will know,
Scotty has to know,
Scotty's gotta know,
Gonna tell Scotty,
Gonna tell him myself.

Scotty has to know,
Scotty has to know,
Scotty has to,
Scotty has to,
Scotty has to go!

Scotty doesn't know,
(Don't tell Scotty)
Scotty doesn't know,
(Don't tell Scotty)
Scotty doesn't know...
Scotty's gotta go!

and:
Say, Hey!

Hear the sound of the falling rain
Coming down like an Armageddon flame (Hey!)
The shame
The ones who died without a name

Hear the dogs howling out of key
To a hymn called "Faith and Misery" (Hey!)
And bleed, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
On holiday

Hear the drum pounding out of time
Another protestor has crossed the line (Hey!)
To find, the money's on the other side

Can I get another Amen? (Amen!)
There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)
A gag, a plastic bag on a monument

On holiday

(Hey!)
(Say, Hey!)

"The representative from California has the floor"

Zieg Heil to the president gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government
Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the _____ that don't agree
Trials by fire, setting fire
Is not a way that's meant for me
Just cause, just cause, because we're outlaws yeah!

This is our lives on holiday!

No accualy my old comp f***ed so now I got a much better one (and the graphics are better then Pheona! [don't tell him, he doesnt know!)

And I don't think there'll be a V2, just endless updates to V1.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 08:12
Quote: "I'm fine with updates, as long as we get new features. Theres plenty of features that should be added to help the newbie that dosn't know anything about game development to feel at home with this product. This is what FPSC was built for, and sadly, it's drifting away from that thought system."

I've tried numerous game creation tools and own(ed) a number of them, but this is by far (yes very far) the easiest game creation system there is. Even klik&play is more complex then this one. Honestly, if you can't work with FPSC and create a small game with it in a couple of hours (perhaps a few days) you better look for a different hobby. To create a simple fun game and even a more complex fun game, you don't even need to get into scripting at all. Build your world, place entities, assign the wanted scripts and options and your done, how much more easier do you want it to be?

Imo it has plenty of newbie features, I hope that after they have fixed the bugs, they will implement some pro features too.

Be inovative and creative.... don't create a fps with FPSC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 20:29:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 20:29:21