Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / 2 Scriptin' questions from someone who knows more about Austin Powers than scripts.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 03:16
okeedokeeeeee...

1) can you make onscreen messages when something happens, ex:

2) can you make a sound play when the user presses enter, like checking your messages?

3) can you make it so that when you press a button, like a button onscreen, that a thingy happens? ex:

Mwahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 04:16
the second be hard..... i dont know if its possible...

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 07:56
btw, sorry about saying it was 2 questions instead of 3.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 21:37
Doctor evil could you please explain 2 a bit better?

Tell me if I'm correct.

The onscreen message appears. The player reads it and does press enter to confirm he has read it and the message goes away. When the user does press enter, a sound is played.

If that is what you mean, then the answer is yes. I can even tell you how to do it, it's not that hard. Just let me know if that's what you need.

As soon as you tell me that it's as I've explained I'll write you a combined script for 1&2.

Be inovative and creative.... create a fps with FPSC today!.
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 03:58
the first one is correct, can you make it when a entity is destroyed?

the second one i mean, when you get close to the phone object and press enter, a small red light goes on (on the phone object) and it says "hi, call me back!"

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 18:18
:plrusingaction=1:sound=path

Yeah...

Your mod has been erased by a signature.

=ChrisB=: I hate n00bs, n00bs hate me! Lets get a gun and kill all the n00bies!!!
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 19:25
Thanks for the script! it will be in Mmm Mmm Brains, definitley!

Do you know how the first one works though?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 19:46
Here's the script you need to accomplish what you want.....

:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudimagefine=[path of image],hudname=screen,hudhide=1,hudmake=display,state=10
:state=10,plrdistwithin=60:hudshow=screen,hudfadeout=screen
:state=10,plrdistwithin=60,plrusingaction=1:sound=[path of sound],state=30
:state=30,plrdistfurther=60:state=10

In state=0 you can change the hudx & hudy to your liking. This just centers the message on screen.
You can omit state=30 if you want to. This basically a loop that allows the player to come back to the item and display the message again.

If your going to have the phone light come on, you need a second texture for the phone and change the last two lines of the script:

:state=10,plrdistwithin=60,plrusingaction=1:sound=[path of sound],alttexture=1,state=30
:state=30,plrdistfurther=60:alttexture=0,state=10

Also you need to make sure this is in the fpe file belonging to the phone:

;Visualinfo
textured = [path to unlighted texture]
texturealtd = [path to lighted texture]

I guess that should do it.

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 21:55
you could also put a mini light next to the phone, and have the light in the activate if used feild.

:state=10,plrdistwithin=60,plrusingaction=1:sound=[path of sound],activateifused=1,state=30
:state=30,plrdistfurther=60:activateifused=0,state=10

=ChrisB=: I hate n00bs, n00bs hate me! Lets get a gun and kill all the n00bies!!!
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 22:52
So the way that script works is that when the entity is destroyed, it displays the message until the player presses enter, right?

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 23:11
it looks like that...

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 23:14
Merranvo, you may have met your match...

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 00:10 Edited at: 7th Nov 2005 00:10
HE is just trying harder.

I am not.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 00:24
Actually the entity doesn't get destoyed at all. It's strange to destroy a phone and then get a phone message, isn't it???

What happens is this, just attach the script to any entity you like (works fine for none phone too ) Now let the player walk up to the entity and the message will appear if he's close enough. If the player does press enter or back up, the message will dissapear again.

To me it seems more logic this way.

If you want to player to get closer before the message appears, then change the plrdistwithin=60 to al lower number. Visa versa works too of course.....

Quote: "HE is just trying harder."

Actually I'm not. I've been working on a script to create 'talking' characters, so I adapted it slightly to work for the phone.

Anyway have fun with it.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 01:35
I ment that I am not trying to compete. If some one answers before me, it was because I was too lazy to answer in the first place. Or, they found a way before me. But I was too lazy to write this one...

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 05:47
Quote: "Actually the entity doesn't get destoyed at all. It's strange to destroy a phone and then get a phone message, isn't it???"

I was talking about the first one i mentioned, that if you kill baddie, "Good!" appears, you make a kitten explode, "OMFG!" appears.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 10:14
OK, I see. I've tried to add it to the fadecorpse script, but that doesn't work.

I'm would say you should incorporate the script with the main entity script to get it working, but that may be tricky to do.

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 18:19
The only thing I know about scripting is other peoples scripts work.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 19:27
Perhaps it's time to learn? I know that sounds terrible, but it's handy to know how to do it yourself and very rewarding too. I've only been scripting for 2 weeks, I've hardly got FPSC 2 weeks now. I'm still waiting for the boxed version to arrive.....

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 21:23
yeah... but the message should be displayed when the kitty is dead.

:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudimagefine=gamecore\text\poorkitty.tga,hudname=poorkitty,hudhide=1,hudmake=display,state=1
:state=1,health=0:hudshow=poorkitty,state=2
:state=2,plrusingaction=1:hudunshow=poorkitty,destroy

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 23:10
I'll create an image to show, what format should I use?

Quote: "Perhaps it's time to learn? I know that sounds terrible, but it's handy to know how to do it yourself and very rewarding too."

I would like to learn, what's the best tutorial to do so with?

Quote: "I've hardly got FPSC 2 weeks now. I'm still waiting for the boxed version to arrive....."

really? i'm in the United States, and i have the boxed version, or did you order it after V1 came out?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 00:03
Quote: "I'll create an image to show, what format should I use?"

PNG is good to use. You can choose to create images with transparency, so you only see the text for example or without transparency then you just see an image on the screen. When creating an image, make sure you refer to it with the correct name and path in the script otherwise the game will crash.

Quote: "I would like to learn, what's the best tutorial to do so with?"

I've got no idea. All I did was read the manual, look at some of the supplied scripts and started experimenting to figure out how it all behaves.

Quote: "really? i'm in the United States, and i have the boxed version, or did you order it after V1 came out?"

Yes, I ordered it roughly two weeks ago. Got the download version right after I ordered two weeks ago, so I'm fine at the moment.

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 00:23 Edited at: 8th Nov 2005 00:26
took me about 3 weeks to arrive.

Thanks for the format!

yay.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 08:31
I'm not kidding, I just had not seen your tutorial.... as if it has been there for weeks already. I've haven't noticed it at all, it was posted the day before yesterday, I'm not checking every thread that is posted.

Quote: "I've offered a basic one for beginners here in the forum.
So, I guess you are trying to say that its not worth reading?"

My goodness, your quick to draw a conclusion aroun't you.

To be perfectly honest, I most of the times do skip the posts you write, most of them aren't that nice to read.

Quote: "So, I guess you are trying to say that its not worth reading?"

It's worth reading for beginners for sure, BUT it does have some major mistakes in it. But I noticed others pointed them out to you already with no luck, so I don't have to go into detail again.

If you would listen to the valid comments people made about the tutorial it would be a great tutorial, I'm not sure if I would recommended it to beginners, you don't want them to start out the wrong way.......

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 17:00
I'm not an expert and I'm not affiliated to Merrannvo in anyway. Neither am I a beginner, since I do know how to use plrdistwithin and such and that isn't for beginners, according to you.

As for the attacking, he didn't attack your tutorial at all, perhaps you took it that way, but he wasn't. He just offered a better way of doing something, if you can't handle that, then it's too bad for you.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 21:07
If it's sensless I wonder why you go through such lenght to debate it each time..... anyway no need to discuss any further. What works for you works for you and what works for me works for me, let's keep it at that.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 21:31
I am not going to argue this anymore... now it has just gotten stupid.

I always edit for the main. End story.

But you did destroy the object more then once

:state=2:destroy

this line will repeat forever.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 22:02
Well, it looks more like it just removes the entity from location. Hides it (redundant if removed). Turns off collision (Even more redundant). Sets active to 0, and says that enemy is dead. But if active being 0 deactivates all scripts, then what is the point of having spawn commands?

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 22:19 Edited at: 8th Nov 2005 22:19
Actually, scripts are stopped by distance the plr is, I think there are a few other, but it is hard to tell exactally what the hell lee is doing.

Okay, so destroy ends the script. That means that the destroy script is never called for spawned enemies. They live in the main until all spawns are dead.

So to look at this even stupider, calling destroy forces the script off, yet lee keeps redundant lines in it used in spawning. Unless destroy only destroys when all enemy lives are gone. And that would mean that destroy only destroys 1 life. Aggg. If this source ever gets cleaned up, let me know.

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 04:51
i didn't know you made a tutorial, C.E.
Do you have a link?

yay.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:55:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:55:46