Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / pc gamer demo that almost was!!!!!!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
a few weeks ago i was asked to make a demo for the pc gamer magazine
which i considered a very exciting prospect

so after long nights to till 2am in the morning i produced a demo that ran at a steady 29fps however this demo had a few problems

so i was put under the guidance of mike johnson

i did everything mike johnson requested but this caused the demo run at a crippling 5fps which at the time i considered to be overkill

this caused the deadline to pass and my demo to be rejected

although i was disapointed with tgc and mike johnson i considered it quite a devasting blow

however i now realise that mike johnson was trying to help me and the overkill part was down to me and my enthusiam for the project

so i apologise mike for not meeting the deadline i realise that you was only trying to help and the errors were down to me

and i now consider this a learning experience regarding fpsc

end of it all i learned that indie game development can be a tough world and this is proberly not the first rejection i will recieve

so as to show now hard feeling and show i do appreciate the opportunity given to me

here is the demo how i would have built it if i had a bit more time

i realize now that this wont be going in the magazine but i am sure you guys can get some enjoyment out of it

thankyou tgc for the opportunity and i am sorry i let you down

the moral of this story is

to all you guys currently creating your next blockbuster take your time make sure your game is polished and i wish you well

i will be taking a small time out from this community to perfect my game hopefully finish it and hopefully in the process learn a bit of darkbasic in the mean time i hope you all enjoy

my efforts

live long and prosper tgc

peace out

ps download from here

http://files.filefront.com/overlanderthegamerar/;4324453;;/fileinfo.html
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 19:19
hey...um...i dont know if i was suposed to download it or not...but i did...and it was actually pretty cool...

i have a few questions if you dont mind me asking..

did you do that animation? that was very fluid and life-like
and if you did...what did it have to do with the story?

and that gun was cool...with animation, it would be awesome!

i have a gun like the BFG in the doom movie...the projectiles arent quite the same, considering its an assault rifle, but its really fun...

anyway, great demo!

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 21:06 Edited at: 6th Nov 2005 21:14
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have to know why in the sam hell this kind of thing is still happening in FPSC. I'm talking about the fluid walls and entities being caught between the "real world" and apparently some other dimension?

Here's a screenie from your demo game. When is this going to be addressed, TGC?

BTW, I'm running P4, 3.2GHz, 1.5GB, ATI Radeon 128MB X300.

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 22:21 Edited at: 6th Nov 2005 22:39
i cant take credit for the animation it was a combination of

motionbuilder 5 pe

some free mp3 i found

turbosquid fbx models

and a friend who helped

so i have to give the credit to my friends and other people who submitted free content to turbosquid

the animimation fits in to the story by

the game takes place after a small viral outbreak were humans transform in to monsters and become killing machines

but my main problem is i aint got thousand and thousands of pounds to get 3dsmax so iam finding character creation a little bit difficult

thats why it would be good if tgc could somewhat simplyfy the process of character and entities creation to make it easier to learn and modify

i mean the segmant editor was a big hit why not get fpsc-entities.exe realised tgc that would be something i would be happy to pay extra for instead of realising model pack after model pack

i mean no offence but i dont want my zombies to look like everybody elses you know what i mean

i am learning 3dsmax via 3dbuzz vtms and a trail version but that aint not good to me when my 30 days are up

as you can see via the guntutorial i did

http://files.filefront.com/gun_tutorialzip/;4190199;;/fileinfo.html

some come tgc save us and bring out fpsc-entities.exe as orginally planned

also i have to agree characters that bend space and time to walk through walls or fall through walls can get a bit silly

but no i dident make the animation credit goes to my very talented collage friends to which i owe so much and others and of course motionbuilder pe and turbosquid communtiy

anyway thats my two pence worth

peace out
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 23:31
hey, would you post some of those models for us to downlaod? They looked great!

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 23:39 Edited at: 7th Nov 2005 00:15
my friend pulled them from turbosquid dont know exactly were about but am sure if you search you can find them

also there all in fbx format not compatable with fpsc so cant really be much use to you

but check here

http://www.turbosquid.com

like i said the trailer is not my doing its down to my friend and the turbosquid community

also if you want to learn more about animation and how easy motionbuilder pe is to use go here

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/motionbuilder/new/demos.shtml

so happy searching
Oswald
Years of Service
User Offline
Filefront reports the file as "missing"..
Can you maybe put it on another more reliable server for downloading?
...Filefront really sux!
Oswald
Years of Service
User Offline
Filefront reports the file as \"missing\"..
Can you maybe put it on another more reliable server for downloading?
...Filefront really sux!

(edit) Ok.... 10 tries and about 5 hours later it magically worked...
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:35
This is the best game I've seen done in FPSC, great demo. It ran smoothly most of the time I played it. Imo, this would have looked great on a mag cover disc!

The only thing is, you can in about 5 minutes finish the game if you choose the correct route. I seemed to have done so the first time I played it, while I didn't go into most of the rooms at all. That's kind of dissapointing. Perhaps forcing the player to enter certain rooms and sealing of others would have made the first time I tried it a much longer gaming experience.

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 00:02 Edited at: 8th Nov 2005 00:14
i would have loved to make the game a longer experienc but the rules as i understood them was a quick preview nothing to extravigant i had a 3 minute window i had to achieve a high fps and the requirement were shorter the better

i am glad you all liked it

just a bit disapointing that i was turned down

worst luck

although it does make the blow a bit softer when people appreciate my efforts lol

but soon as i master character creation i have a 20 level game to compile all the levels are finished i just really want to add something special by adding personilzed characters

so at the moment its back to the drawing board to learn how to rig my new characters for fpsc am afraid

ill post when the game is done and once i have mastered character creation
Hobbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey nice game, I downloaded it and it's pretty cool. I just got my fpsc today so hopefully I can make good games like that.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 10:05 Edited at: 8th Nov 2005 10:06
Hey, instead of searching turbosquid.com, then compileing every model I find, could I just take the models straight from the .exe? Since I downloaded it, I dodn't need a copy.

P.S. When you going to come out with some model packs?!
Good luck on the game

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
no sorry no freebies
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 12:15
If you can't afford max maybe you could try milkshape, which is popular and seems to work okay.

I've been using Blender/Fragmotion successfully, but Blender is a bit heavy if your not used to 3d.

Max is great, but the price....

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 16:06
transient...

try adding an armature to an object, parenting, then animating in blender...

if you export, the script crashes...

normal keyfram animation even crashes sometimes...

and about blender...i started out in 3d using blender, and now everything alse is hard to lear because of how it is set up, so i wouldent recamend it to anyone...

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 21:49
@Crow34,
You said you got the models off of Turbosquid. If you did, I don't think you can tell us we can't use them. I'm not trying to be rude, even though it might sound that way, I just don't want to search on turbo squid forever, when I could just copy and paste files in th games folders.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 22:41
Sunflash, those models are models that are for sale on TurboSquid, not free once.

So he can tell us not to use them, since the license forbids him giving the models to others.

You can search TurboSquid all you want, but if you want these models you need to pay for them.

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 05:03
@Bullshock

I've already gotten animated models from Blender to FPSC through Fragmotion, and it never crashes on my comp.

I'm using a third party exporter, not one that came with blender.

Blender is unique and annoying in many ways, I agree, but it's also a lot more powerful than any other free/cheap alternative.

I'd probably recommend Blender for people like me who have experience with other programs like max, but don't want to be a software pirate.

Noobs may be better off using Milkshape, or something like that.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 19:23:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 19:23:42