Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Top list - Character Modeling Do & Dont's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 12:19
Let's see if I got this right. Feel free to edit the list, I don't know if I got i all right.

1. Keep mesh under 3000 poly. (depends on the game)

2. One object - One texture, for each object you have you can only use one texture file. Don't use uv-set's only uv-map's.

3. Triangulate your mesh.

4. If you want your character to hold something, model each hand as seperate objects.

5. Do not keyframe the ik, if you use it, keyframe the bones!

6. Do not move your model about in the scene, when doing a walk cycle, make him walk on the spot.

7. Use smoothing groups/softnharden edge when possible.

8. Use time with your uv's, textures does everything. Plan your uv-set, and try to fill the whole square.

9. Don't use larger than 512*512 texture, and let it be square size.
- Kjetil
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 14:02
Number 4 should read:

4. If you want your character to hold something, make each hand a separate limb.

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 14:04
actually i'd say something else - but each to his own

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 14:27
#10: Practice before expecting to make anything usable .

Ohh, and check out as many tutorials as you can - Paul Steed has a few online tutorials, probably a good place to get started.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 14:40
-1. Keep mesh under 3000 poly

Make that 1500 polys(still got some p2/p3's out there)

-2. One object - One texture, for each object you have you can only use one texture file. Don't use uv-set's only uv-map's

I don't get the UVMap thing but personally find the comment is wrong too...I often use more than one texture....Like that girl model,the textures a 2x64x64

-3. Triangulate your mesh

Doesn't matter,the triangulation will occur when loading the .x/.3ds file so really,that's for modeling purposes except when encoutering errors(which would surprise me since I never actually do that)

Still,I agree with Raven each modeler has his own ways and learning exclusively from others/tutorials will squish your imagination...
Just don't expect to know the best tips & tricks before getting your hands dirty or at least being in need of them.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Janster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 07:13
Try to keep the relative size of your textures the same for an even look. e.g. don't use half the texture for almost your entire character and then the other half just for something smaller like their shoes (or two same size textures for two very different size objects).

Only model individual fingers on a human model if you REALLY need them, they use up a lot of polys and make animation more complex.

Model one side of your figure, then mirror it and weld the central vertex's, then make asymetrical adjustments.

"Now that it's done,
I've begun to see the reason why we are here.."
Janster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 07:18
Oh yes, and rememeber, good texture work can make a relatively low poly model look fantastic, but no amount of polys can make a bad texture look good. Amen.

"Now that it's done,
I've begun to see the reason why we are here.."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 07:49
Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 14:51
Janster: Good one! Amen!

actarus: UV-maps are a way to project the faces on a 2d plain (the texture map). You have several uv-maps in an UV-set (...planar mapping for faces on the body, spherical mapping for the faces on the head.... all off these are uv- maps). UV-sets are different ways to project the same faces. One UV-set might project all of the faces one way, and a second UV-set might project the same faces another way.

hope that explaines it.

btw, if you use several images maps on one physical object (limb..if you like), youre begging for truble.

- Kjetil
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 16:06
Kjetil Thanks you for the explanation,you're right but for using 2 images,I haven't had a single problem even using DBC.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:04:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:04:58