Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / dbp is not changing my display setting :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 21:45 Edited at: 7th Nov 2005 21:47
my desktop display setting is 1024x768.
i used the code "set display mode 800,600,32

i ran my program,then i took a screenshot by using printscreen ,i went into ms paint & pasted it & ms paint tells me its 1024x768.

i tested this problem by running a 'gamemaker' game i got.it ran it at 800x600. i did the same test when it was running,pasted into ms paint & ms paint tells me its 800x600.

i dont think dbp is changing my display setting!

if required i will post screens of the problem.

can this be looked at/tested & fixed????
i like to use 800x600 for my games since it makes it run faster.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:11
It all depends on wether you are running in fullscreen-exclusive mode or one of the 3 window modes.

If running in FSEX mode, then printscreen will grab at your desired resolution.

If running any of the 3 window modes it ALWAYS grabs at desktop resolution, it's just that the DIRECTX screen that is setup by DBPro is in your required resolution but scaled to fill screen.

I bet you are running in 'Windowed - Full Screen' mode.

If you output screen width() and screen height() in your proggy, you will find it is actually at 800*600 but scaled to fit into 1024*768 so things are more blocky than if you run at 1024*768.

Boo!
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:55 Edited at: 7th Nov 2005 23:03
thanks spooky! i used the command set window off & now it works right

mods,go ahead & delete this/reject it along with my other bug reports. lol

ill try not to be so hastey in the future in making bug reports.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 23:17
Alternatively you can set all these options in editor. Click on 'settings' and you will see a 'display settings' section.

Fullscreen exclusive - which is what you are now running in, will lock refresh rate to monitor rate, usually around 60fps. Gives you silky smooth movement.

3 different window modes - Run either in a window, a borderless window revealing startmenu bar along bottom, or borderless window scaled to size of desktop (but using resolution set in 'windowed' mode)

Advantage in running in windowed modes is faster frame rates but because DBPro might be trying to show you multiple frames per monitor update you get screen 'tearing'. For level editors and slow moving games though, then windowed modes are great.

Once you have written quite a few varied games in different modes and resolutions it will start to make more sense.

Boo!
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 00:28 Edited at: 8th Nov 2005 00:30
ok ,i have 2 new problems -still related to this.

i used set window off,& i used set display mode 800,600,32

now i have no shadows in my program.
ive messed with different settings like 1280x1024 or 320x240,640x480,& still no shadows.i only get shadows in my program only when i let dbp run in the default mode.

also db runs slower,i thought the lower the resolution,the easier it is on the system..???.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 11:05
Odd.

As soon as you set window off you are effectively running in fullscreen exclusive mode which is when frame rate is locked to refresh rate of monitor for smoother updates. This has the side effect of making game 'appear' to be slower because frame rate is about 60, whereas window modes run can run at many hundreds or even thousands. For example this code;

In fullscreen exclusive mode, it runs at 60fps and cube turns at 1 degree a frame, so will take 6 seconds to turn once.

If I run windowed fullscreen it runs at about 400fps and so cube spins around VERY fast.

If I be really stupid and run it in a 320*200 window it runs at over 5000fps! cube is going mental at this point.

This is where timer based movement comes into operation. Great tutorial on it in recent newsletter.

As to why your shadows don't appear that is puzzling.

Boo!
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 15:14
ok,i got it working correctly.i went into the project manager & set the display mode.now i have shadows again in a window,also dbp is fast again.

thanks for your help spooky

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:11:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:11:31