Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / fmtBSP Worlds Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2003 13:30
Hey all... i'm working on a compiler and display program as we speak, but what i'd like to see are a good few worlds to test this format on (as i don't have the time to create really any myself)

this is to be more of a stress test of what it is capable off, since the redevelopment

what i'll want are worlds developed in DirectX/3DS, first compiler is to be DarkBasic based, but next is to be C++

well basically make the worlds as complex as you feel like, feel free
now you only have to remember that entity based world geometry MUST be seperate objects and named (as you call them through the entity scripts)

also the entities must should be simple geometry as the world goes through these and just uses the name for the entity and the X Y Z as the position of the entity - then deletes the object.

finally objects you want in there, just use an entity and the script below - however objects do slow down the world, so make sure that they must be used as objects.
I mean try to think in the Quake/Quake2 mindset on howto layout levels the faces are planner mapped (try to remember that)

oki the entities that are currently supported (^_^)

i know there arn't many - and if you'd like more then please do ask for them so i can add them for later versions
now please not the first value is the name, the second is the actual value you use ... the entity number is the number after "ent_" that you name the entity

this is all scripted in notepad or something, then saved as entity.script (this is the file the compiler will look for)

well have fun making your worlds and i'll be back soon with the tools for compiling and veiwing
Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 10:54
my firewall is preventing me from uploading anything to the net right now apart from sending email attachments.
someone is uploading a quick picture of a world i'm worknig on right now - if you look at the time and the time of this message you'll see how long i've been trying to get this uploaded ... i'm FAR from a happy bunni right now.

i finally have the test world working, but as its just a hollowed box - doesn't make it very enjoyable for anyone veiwing (which is why i'm making this now)
should be done in a little while... but can't guarentee anyone will be on to upload it for me or anything, and the veiwer is 1mb zipped - this world is likely to be around 1Mb including the textures ... so god knows what i'm gonna do about uploading

incase you wanna know - i'm using blue for entity objects, green for terrain objects (which will be important in version 3.0) i use white for entities, but non are set there yet ... and black for static terrain

as you can see is far from done, but should be an interesting enough test

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Sycleoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive Raven. I wanted to be a Level Designer, but I never knew where to start. Its looking quite good and it sounds like your making alot of progress. You have AOL? Whats your SN? I have a feeling I can learn alot from you.

Thanks,
Brad
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 20:28
level designing is a simple art ... you take a peice of A4, a pencil and an eraser.

Sketch out a simple idea, grab your weapon of war and start it - from then on you let it flow really

i mean you should always have a rough design in your head, something you're working towards ... with that particular world i didn't have alot of time, so i just kinda rebuilt Yavin Temple from JK2 - but it certainly is different enough for the resemblance be lost.

usually i'll sketch out a few sections and then think imaginatively howto link them together - biggest challenge i've had has been with a very personal project, which has required me to build a complete 8mile long by 1mile wide and 1/2 mile height spacecraft ... is to be fully working and be like a real space craft ... and if that wasn't hard enough - it is also a mixx mash of several races ships and all delapidated.

its a project which has close to 200 concept sketches for certain sections, wired sections, embedded parts or the craft, and even 6 complete specs of ships original forms before they merdged.

best thing to do is put yourself in the mindset of the world your to work in, else you'll never make it flow ... for example no doubt you've downloaded worlds for HL or Quakes, and thought "god damn thats aweful"
a world could be small and useless, but still be a good level ... simply because the whole thing flows and works right for the task at hand.

for example for this craft i've been working on the emphasis is on causing the player terror, so you show this within the lighting and cramped areas making the player feel like there is nowhere to hide... giving many deadends so that the player must stand and fight.

there isn't much more to Level Modeling than just making sure the world is just realistic, or rather real as in it is true to itself... if you're adding Technology with nature you have to find a way to blend it so it seems to fit - or if the point is to stick out like a thorn, make it collide and seem as out of place as possible

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 17:47:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 17:47:54