Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / - 20 Lines, Thats It! -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 14:58 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 01:39
Lately there's been a lot of posts with more than 20 lines (far more) in the 20 line challenge board. This board is for programs written in 20 lines or less, thats it, not 21, 121, just 20. I think now that TGC published a 20 liner in the newsletter with 120 lines people are beginning to think, hey we can all do that now.

If its more than 20 lines either use a compresser to make it smaller, compress it yourself, or put it in the WIP, newcommers corner or Program Announcements.

There should actually be a board for mini games people have made that are more than 20 lines. But ahwell.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 17:52
Have you read the rules? The ones that are more than 20 lines are probably expanded to make them easy to read. I bet you that nearly all the 20 liners that are 120 lines can be compressed - but you have to be a computer to understand them. Are you a computer? are you? Are you really?.... No - I didn't think so... Now sit down and behave young man! (DISCLAIMER: THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN READ WITH A HUMOUROUS TONE... THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS FLAME OR ANYTHING!!!)

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 17:56
Im talking about the ones that havent been submitted in 20 lines, if the programmer wants to submit an uncompressed version for easier reading thats fine according to "the rules" but the ones that are just one code snippet that are more than 20 lines, are clearly not 20 lines.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 17:02
Quote: "Welcome to the 20 Line Challenge !

The purpose of this board is quite simple - to have fun and to show off We want to see the best possible program you can write in DB or DBPro in 20 lines of code or less. The rules are straight forward:

1) A line is defined as a line of text, terminated with a carriage return.
2) You can stack multiple commands per line up to a maximum of 25 commands per line.
3) External media is allowed but must be supplied for download or your post will be deleted.
4) External media cannot be larger than 200k in size UNCOMPRESSED.
5) State in the subject or body of the post if it's a DB or DBPro program (or both)
6) Lines with comments (remarks) on are not included in the 20 line maximum and are encouraged to help others understand your code
7) You are free to use blank lines to space out your code for readability, they are not included in the 20 line maximum. The second a line has a command on it it's included.

That's it!

We'll accept anything, from mini games to demos to graphical effects to musical packages - anything you like.

Post your code here, make sure you use the "code" button in the editor to wrap your code with the code tags or it'll probably look a right mess afterwards. Link to external media using the href button.

Comments for each of the submissions are welcome and encouraged.

All submissions are copyright their respective authors. By posting here you are granting us the rights to re-produce your code at our descretion without having to notify you.

Have fun people!

Cheers,

Rich
"

From the announcement

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 21:36
Quote: "2) You can stack multiple commands per line up to a maximum of 25 commands per line."

Never liked that rule.

(Especially since it is unfair on DBC users, as DBC only allows 255 characters per line...)
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 01:35
Quote: "Quote: "2) You can stack multiple commands per line up to a maximum of 25 commands per line."

Never liked that rule.

(Especially since it is unfair on DBC users, as DBC only allows 255 characters per line...) "

I won the 20 line challenge a while back and one of my lines was over 7500 characters longer and that was just 1 command.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 07:00 Edited at: 20th Nov 2005 07:01
I have a problem with that rule simply because I don't believe it's specific enough. While I have thought about abusing it, I haven't. See, technically, declaring a constant is a single command. However, constants can be declared like so...

#Constant MyCommand : Do : Print "Hello World" : Loop

Then, just use MyCommand anywhere you like and it will do all the above. So, since declaring a constant is "a single command", one could, in theory, put limitless commands as part of the #Constant declaration. Like so...

#Constant MyCommand : Command 1 : Command 2 : Command 3 :...: Command n

Still technically only a single command (because everything after the #Constant becomes the constant), but I think clearly not within the intention of the rules. I even had concerns using this technique for several commands in order to squeeze them in, but on another line that was "already full". So, pre-compiled, the code was "legal" (even in the "intention of the rules" sense). However, once compiled, the #Constant did it's find/replace thingy, and there were lines longer than 25 commands (and other lines with suddenly fewer commands). I think some would say that's a loop-hole, and I wouldn't outright disagree (but I would defend myself by stating it has never been made clear). Inversely, that kind of ruling could lead to another rules quandry. After compile, the Constant declaration is "remmed out" and "by the rules", remmed out lines are not counted towards the 20 lines.

So - anyway - that's why I don't like that rule so much.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 08:35
so, assuming 1 command per line
you could fit 500 lines of code!

ok, I just hit him with a shovel. Is he still conscious? Yea, I think so. Then hit him again!
If at first your dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:18:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:18:52