Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / only 8 players in multiplayer????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Uhh, 8 players max. is really low. Even games like Tac Ops (from 5-6 years ago) had 16 player maximums. Why the low number and can you raise it to say, 32?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 20:10
Erm, Doom3 anyone?

The limit is imposed because the majority (nay all) of the games will be running over your own ADSL connect as host. You cannot run a dedicated server, so there's little point supporting masses of players.

Fat kids always win at see-saw.

The world is full of idiots. But an unusually high percentage seem to appear on my TV screen.
shmoo
Years of Service
User Offline
No dedicated server? Sounds like a good wish list item for the future
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 23:51
Don't tell me you've got more then 8 real friends you can give your game to, no computer addict has more then 8 real friends

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
lol
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
With scripting and (hopefully) dynamic entities, we might one day envision team play CTF with airstrikes and stationary guns and bots and specialities and TOTAL WAR with missles and dropping things on people and traps and mines.
shmoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured, uhh, I was thinking more like TEAMS of 16 vs. 16 not 31 vs. 1.

I'm sure you've played Tac Ops, Counter Strike, etc...
PureEvil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 06:13
Quote: " no computer addict has more then 8 real friends"

actually, thats not true. i'm a total computer addict and i have 20+ friends

?¨®´´?ˆ¬
ˆ† µ´å˜ß ?¨®´´?ˆ¬
Bet you didn't understand that. btw, ROCK ON, Resident Evil!!!
Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 12:15
I can understand why a limit is impossed (to help prevent lag, etc) but shouldn't that be something the user imposes himself and not TGC? What if I am hosting a LAN party (not over the net, but we are all in the same room)? What if I have a fast cable connection? Certainly I could host more than 8 players in a game? In other words I do not personally believe there should be an imposed limit on FPS Creator for the number of players in a multi-player game. Instead the one using FPS Creator should set the limit himself based on his development of the game and his understanding of how the game will be played (over the net, over a LAN, etc).

How hard could it be to have a simple numeric entry box for this where the end-user simply types in the limit?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 17:16
Perhaps the creators think that they know what is best for us. We have LAN parties with 10-12 people in the same house.

-Keith
Chronosv2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 17:44
You know, the player limit could be imposed by the development software's capabilities, or perhaps by memory management and concurrent connection limitations. Bare in mind I don't have DarkBasic Pro and don't know its power, so take this as a very unsupported theory. Whatever the reason (and I'm sure there is one), I'm sure it's a good one.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 05:18
If more than 8 players was viable it would be there already.

Maybe a dedicated server would be a good optional upgrade idea, like the DBPro enhancement packs.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 17:43
Well 8 players is good when friends are playing, but if You are going to make a commercial game I think 16 is a minimum. As I said before, many games nowdays has 64 players!

Trust everyone...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 19:26:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 19:26:05