Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Filtering and sharpening pictures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 19:59
Does anyone know any good program for filtering and sharpening pictures so I can zoom in picture and then filter it so i can see the smallest details on that picture. I really need it.

RAM
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 20:19
low rez pictures don't have the information you want, the best thing a program can do is guess. All it can do is remove some blending and colour leaks. The 1000x software-zoom and filtering you see in the movies doesn't really exist.

WarBasic Scripting engine for DarkBasicPro
DC emulator code size: 14.3MB, 553,214 lines
n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 20:31
There must be some program that can do that. I guess that NASA have something to do that but probably it's not comercial program(they made it only for their needs).

RAM
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 21:28
Most programs have a LancZos algorithm for enlarging images. It's the best you'll get in normal circles. Sorry, I have no contacts at NASA

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
zoom right into an image so you have 10 or 12 pixels on the screen, then try to think how you would make those pixels into a high res close up of the image they are part of, if you can do that then you can retire right now, thats the sort of software every agency, astronomer, researcher and dreamer has been looking for, you only get it in bad Sci Fi movies, it isn`t possible, not even a bit, all software can do is try to guess, and at that it can be more wrong than a human doing the same thing.

if there is one thing I can NOT tolerate, it`s intolerant people.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 00:12 Edited at: 11th Nov 2005 00:12
the easiest way is to print it out at a colour print shop at the current resolution you have, then blowing it up on the printers photocopier, finally scanning it back in. you will lose a little bit of information but its the safest way to retain an image thats lost its detail. you really need to save your highest resolution image as a tiff or something thats not lossy.
there are some programs also that will allow you to take a snapshot of the screen at a higher resolution like crappy corel products, thats all there good for .
if your thinking about getting a 600 dpi reflection from someones eyeball from a lowres jpeg then you have been watching too much csi.
nasa does have some software that refines resolution but its hardly in your price range.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 04:13 Edited at: 11th Nov 2005 04:14
The only really good program I've found for fixing focus blur and motion blur is Focus Magic.

Compare these two pictures of a spider I took this morning, the first is unprocessed, the second has been through focus magic.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 05:10
You suck bad...

TEH NEW MEZZZz11111111
Under-cover Noob. Protecting the old. Doing Crap!
We kill n00bs for cheap.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 07:29
Wheel Gator, you are one funny kid...
the funniest part is that Undercover Noob has posted right after you in every single one of those spams

n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 19:47
Quote: "
indi

nasa does have some software that refines resolution but its hardly in your price range"

If you know what they have and the name of that program just tell me.

Leave the price to me.

RAM
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 19:53
Yes, It is funny, because I meant to! I reported this to rich, for spamming!

TEH NEW MEZZZz11111111
Under-cover Noob. Protecting the old. Doing Crap!
We kill n00bs for cheap.
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 20:00
Wow, I completely forgot about the Abuse buttons! Could've slapped gator alot sooner.

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 20:25 Edited at: 11th Nov 2005 20:26
Nasa does have some software that corrects images, it isn`t a mattter of price, it does not do much more than Photoshop can do, but it does it to exact calibrations, so colours come out right and lighting can be corrected for, it`s meant to provide accurate pictures for geologists etc, it isn`t going to get a visible line of text out of a letter in the edge of a blurry webcam image, they send high resolution cameras to Mars for a reason, they want high resolution images, theres nothing in the world will actualy show you real detail where it isn`t, just stick it in photoshop and try edge detect or false colour filters, they often show up stuff you can`t see easily by eye, but you can`t get an image out of 40 blurred pixels, it just doesn`t work like that.

@Sirfire: see attached, same image, sharpen filter in freebie arcsoft photostudio that came with scanner, just does some edge detection and de-blurring by putting larger steps in colour range between pixels, doesn`t actualy add missing detail, just guesses.

if there is one thing I can NOT tolerate, it`s intolerant people.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:56:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:56:59