Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS too slow? I on't think so.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 00:44 Edited at: 11th Nov 2005 00:45
I'm working on some segments and while testing them, something very strange happened. The engine decided to shift gears and go through the 33fps barrier.....

It ended up at 141fps, check the picture.. No editing at all, just a in-game screenshot.

Let me tell you, 141fps is way way to fast, everything was flying, perhaps that's why TGC decided to put in the 33fps barries. (Still imo 66fps max would be better, but 141 was way to fast)

Sorry there's a mistake in the heading.....

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 01:23
This happens in test mode when you hit X. This diasbles the sync rate in test mode.

I think the reason 30 fps was chosen as the sync rate was because this was the optimum setting for the average machine.

Higher would be nice, but it's no widowmaker as it is.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 18:02
Now try building a level with those segments...

I still firmly believe that FPSC loads EVERY SQUARE INCH OF POLYS it can find. One of the major reasons of slowdowns.

Your mod has been erased by a signature.

=ChrisB=: I hate n00bs, n00bs hate me! Lets get a gun and kill all the n00bies!!!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 18:19
Yes, it does.

-This...is my boomstick!
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 19:35
see!!!

I can look at a WALL and still have 97321 polys. Which, although funny, is stupid.

Your mod has been erased by a signature.

=ChrisB=: I hate n00bs, n00bs hate me! Lets get a gun and kill all the n00bies!!!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 00:23 Edited at: 12th Nov 2005 00:24
Well its been proven in user findings since why back in EA testing, which is why the issue continues to crop up. The serious lag issue found in specific locations (regions as small as a single tile) as opposed to general overall poly count and fps is something that Lee aparently could not fix as he was unable to find the exact reason for the problem. As far as I am aware the problem, bug or however you want to describe it was never either found or fixed and still remains - though Lee did of course do what he could to improve speed wherever possible and overall I would say FPSC V1 is somewhat improved over EA, except for the said seemingly unacountable massive jumps in poly counts in specific areas.

Indeed it is possible when moving in one direction towards the same view to stand on three different tiles and get at least two massively different fluctuating polycounts and fps returned. e.g. 24,000poly,50,000poly,24,000poly (or greater variances) and reflective fluctuating fps. Its even possible to stand on two different tiles and get 32fps on one and on the next tile 1fps which if youre not careful will kill game.exe dead and cause a forced exit to be necessary.

In general terms FPSC poly counts and fps is as to be expected in an engine which has an empty level fps cap of max 33fps. Nothing else to be expected in any engine under those circumstances - if you add stuff fps is likely to drop off as you go. In fact in those circumstances it seems to me that FPSC holds up fairly well - certainly in indoor areas.

Somewhat more flexibility in user : max fps specification would be helpful - and if the lag prob could be tracked down and fixed that would allow much greater flexibility in level design and consrtruction without the need to constantly be prepared to redesign levels to accomdate and work around the lag areas. i.e. design to your design (within sensible limits) and not FPSC forced design. By and large its almost there - but the current restrictions and issues prevent what would seem to be a giant leap in users creativity.

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 09:51
Why doesn't TGC team add some sort of a culling system to FPS Creator? It could be a manual system where the user defines culling or even a simple clip-range that will clip segments outside of a specific range (use defined for the distance of the clipping). This would go a long way toward speeding things up.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:05
This is like Serious Sams portal creation.

It was manual and worked well.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:19
@Daniel Silverman:

It is in there and it is on. I made a test program for people to download and see the difference in their levels using the Culling on/off.

-This...is my boomstick!
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
What actually is culling?

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 03:24 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 03:29
Reducing the amount of somthing, that has become too many.

Quote: "Visibility culling algorithms reduce the number of polygons sent down the rendering pipeline based on the simple principle that if something is not seen, it does not have to be drawn."

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 10:02 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 10:03
Quote: " What actually is culling?"

Culling is when the engine removes entities and polygonal faces that cannot be seen by the camera. This is done in order to remove an additional load form the CPU in order to maintain high frames per second.

Quote: "It is in there and it is on. I made a test program for people to download and see the difference in their levels using the Culling on/off."

If this is the case then they culling implemented is not doing a very good job. On a decent machine even heavily populated areas of a level should not dip below the 33 FPS limit imposed upon FPS Creator.

I would prefer to manually create culling areas, but I would settle for a better culling system to be implemented in FPS Creator.
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
ah right, I guess FPSC doesn't do culling then? I've noticed that you can face one way and it runs perfect, you turn and face another which you know there are lots of entities in the next room and it slows right down...can't wait for Riker9 to address this issue.

Daniel Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 19:53
KrazyKris,

According to Cellbloc Studios FPS Creator does do culling. As I stated above, it seems to not be doing it well and this can be seen in examples like yours as well as the overall low frame rates.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:25:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:25:04