Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 21:42
It seems that recently, there has been a lull in activity on these forums. I was very excited about all the multiplayer games that would be released after V1 came out, but so far, there have been like two (one was mine). Many old users have left or very rarely post. It seems that even the devs are loosing interest in the forums. I really dont want these boards to die, but it seems that these forums have been flooded with noobiness. Where have all the old people gone? Merranvo rarely posts, or ChrisB (though a little bit more), Noldor left ages ago.... There's no excitement in the boards anymore. Lock this if you feel its pointless, but I was just commenting on my disappointment. Where are all the good V1 games? Has everyone lost interest? Hopefully the COntest will shake things up... its much too quiet.

Visit us today at [href]http://www.freewebs.com/pyramidproductions[href]!

Coming Soon- 'Nightfall' Demo
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 21:54
Maybe people are getting tired of the pettiness and ignorant comments going on here lately. Maybe people are tired of asking a question only to get a derogatory response back; like "stop asking stupid questions, and look through the REAMS of posts dating back years from now".

But maybe that's just me.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 21:57
Well put, Keith. Everyone has their belittling-breaking point.

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 22:29 Edited at: 12th Nov 2005 22:29
The petty bickering is a result of the fact that Conjured likes to make a fight about everything. I just point out small details, some things that would be VERY Easy to do, and he goes berserk.

Mabey I should have stopped trying when I said I would.

Your mod has been erased by a signature which was erased by a mod being erased by a signature.

"Ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"
Chronosv2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 22:36
All I ask of any user is to attempt to get the background information.

And if I have ever come across as derogatory, I apologise.

Yeah, I really want to see this forum revived. It's a shame that so many bad things have gone on around here that nobody wants to take part anymore. Perhaps the FPSC forums need an addendum to the AUP to prevent put-downs, though I doubt something like that would occur.

And heck, I may not be one of the older members of the FPSC community, but I plan on sticking around. If you need something from me (that I can provide), ask. I'll try to help out or point in the right direction.

Now then, let's pick this forum up and get it moving again!
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 22:49
It's just that there used to be so many games and such circulating. Now, there's almost none- or if anyone does post a game, people automatically shout at them for not posting a screen or whatever. I think people have lost faith in the community for support, as most requests turn into shouting matches.

Thanks for the support, Chronos. This is why the forums USED to be so good. my two cents.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 23:33
I an tell you that Conjured insanity from last night would have put off any *useful* newbies that had just joined. The forums don't look very nice when there are 20 threads, most of which included the word "f*g", many of which were directed at me, and others insulting other people. Even seeing one of those titles would have put me off if I was new.

Click above for Project Luna demo! Resident Evil Remake is teh fergin' best!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 23:35
Yep, it's a shame people can't be more pleasant. I'm reminded of a old saying around my house as a kid, "If you don't have something nice to say...then shut your damn mouth".

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 01:33 Edited at: 13th Nov 2005 03:18
lol....
They aren't exactally shot down...

What really happened in the Showcase Thread is that people aren't posting many Non-Existant games. That is what happened before... Soo many storythreads that never got made. It was a catastrophe. But it was posts. And that is what made people happy.

Asking for screenies is because not all of use are blessed with the gift of time. Or high-speed for that matter. But untill you see what happens in the DBP Show Case... you can't say much. lol... you can't say anything!

Story...
READ THE README
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME
Sorry, I forgot to upload...
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME
FLAME

Everyone like lashes out... It is fun to watch.

He who is mortal is bound by his soul, He who is immortal has no soul
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 03:14
i missed out a few days, it that merranvo hiding under that Asian hat? he still uses my saying- reworked, of course.

i cant tell who anyone is anymore/

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 03:18
Sorry About That... The Imortal Demon must NOT reveil his ways.

I am Conjured Segregation!

He who is mortal is bound by his soul, He who is immortal has no soul
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 17:45 Edited at: 13th Nov 2005 17:46
Quote: "The petty bickering is a result of the fact that Conjured likes to make a fight about everything. I just point out small details, some things that would be VERY Easy to do, and he goes berserk.

Mabey I should have stopped trying when I said I would."

Perfect example of what the previous post was talking about.]

Quote: "Maybe people are getting tired of the pettiness and ignorant comments going on here lately. Maybe people are tired of asking a question only to get a derogatory response back; like "stop asking stupid questions, and look through the REAMS of posts dating back years from now".

But maybe that's just me."

Well put dude.

Quote: "It's just that there used to be so many games and such circulating. Now, there's almost none- or if anyone does post a game, people automatically shout at them for not posting a screen or whatever. I think people have lost faith in the community for support, as most requests turn into shouting matches.
"

Yea... And all those old users from the EA dys...

Quote: "Thanks for the support, Chronos. This is why the forums USED to be so good. my two cents.
"

Yea... I miss them...

Quote: "Yep, it's a shame people can't be more pleasant. I'm reminded of a old saying around my house as a kid, "If you don't have something nice to say...then shut your damn mouth". "

Sounds farmilliar...

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 00:44 Edited at: 14th Nov 2005 00:46
I have been here since the beggining and stiil here - not all have dissapeared - there are others.

I dont - as its put - jump on anyone of any kind and hope at least that I am even handed and polite to everyone.

I welcome everyone - every kind of user as long as they stick to sensible well commented forum rules and respect other forum members. Ask what you will - but please do search first - it wont take a moment of your time.

As to SarusX original post and the questions it raises : There are people still working away like myself developing with FPSC and making progress - the games never went anywhere - by and large they just never were there. Making a game in the true sense of the word is a big task so dont expect any quick results for good games of any stature made with FPSC until and if it becomes a more mature and stable product - reflecting some of the users well documented requests for improvement. Those users that you refer to that dissapear adjudge the product not suitable to achieve their needs and so have moved on. To encourage current or new users that will be serious enough to put in the effort to make games that will recieve your attention and that of the forum and raise the activity and interest level here will take that mature, stable and improved product I would suggest.

In support of this theory - I would say that MP is a point in case where initially there may have been a great interest and flourish of activity here but in all honesty many users would have found MP did not live up to expectations for them as developers from many points of view which do not need describing in depth here.

In the doldrums the forum may be and activity and involvement from all sides at a low ebb, certainly a quite period of contemplative thought on the part of many perhaps.

Theres not much can be done to improve this until actual users current or yet to purchase decide that they can utilise the tool successfully and actually make those elusive games and then get on and do it. Theres nothing like seeing and reporting good progress being made by other game makers to generate interest at a forum and hopefully that can happen here. It may be a lonely process but if you feel you can make a game yourself dont worry where others have gone but just get on and do it. If no one does then there will never be much impact here.

If you are lonely and need some encouragement then seek it here - show off your work and generate interest and pay no attention to those who would knock you down - just finish your game - after all a finished game beats no game - which is my position - hands down every time.

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 01:25
A community forum was always meant for help, some sites still have helpful ones, but this site has now a limited amount of people that are willing to help newbie’s, most of them on this thread, but if you ignore the pin heads, you can still get some quality help.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 02:01
I'm still around...

-This...is my boomstick!
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 02:21
I was including you in the above statement, Glad your still around.

Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still here

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I am here also, although I'm less involved in the forums. The reason is quite simple and obvious to most of those that posted here: colaborative forum yes, shoutbox no. I'm interest in colaboration, friendly environment.

People are mislead by the simplicity of this software and go from newbies to screamers in no time which leads to a highly unfriendly forum. Personally I don't feel confortable with it and that's why I've become a lurker and only write when I can make a real difference, being perhaps this post the exception. The mods, once directly criticized by me, are (from my point of view) doing what they can right now, but the feeling of community is somewhat lost.

Regarding more games in the past and less now, I think that most good projects are yet to be presented. The games that exist right now are really demos, projects with screenshots, so I think the problem does not lie there. A good game, even done with simple software such as this, takes a long time to be made. Without that time, don't expect big showcases, except (and hopefully) the ones done by the excitement of the new users. That new blood is unfortunatelly flamed most of the times, instead of cherished and protected.

Back to the drawing board here, see you all later.

V
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 15:41
Vlad,

That seems to be a very well thought out, written, concise and accurate description of the situation.

I hope the software develops further to provide you with the platform you seek.

buns
Years of Service
User Offline
Likewise, I still read the forums, although not often anymore perhaps once a week, I can't get the interest together if all that people are going to do is shout and get the flame throwers out.

It's a real pity, I have much to learn about the product, but its harder each day filtering through all the banter to find the nuggets of useful stuff.

Perhaps in six months or a year when FPSC novelty has worn off, and users have learnt the tool, some creativity and useful threads will begin to appear again.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 16:53
Maybe if every moderator action wasn't questioned there would be a little more moderating going on and we could deal with more of the a-holes that like to drop turds in perfectly good posts.

This subject has been done to death though, nothing we post makes any difference so I think the best thing is to be really strict and if someone offends you, use that button - Rich is not slow when it comes to dealing with these aforementioned a-holes, don't be scared to use it.

I hope that a real rain will come and wash away the scum, leaving people who would actually like to make their FPSC games - said Travis.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Chronosv2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 17:25
I agree completely. The mods get nasty e-mails or badmouthed publicly on the forums for doing what they're supposed to do, so most mods steer clear. Those who are moderated against don't realise that they've done something wrong, which is sad--the difference between right and wrong were important when I was growing up, and now we have a bunch of 13-year-olds jumping in thinking "Give it to me and give it to me now," and expect to get something from nothing. They want the next Halo, Doom, Half-Life or Quake and they want it in five minutes, tops. These forums will only become user friendly (and thus truly active) when those 13-year-olds learn that: a) it's not all about them, and b) FPSC isn't designed to build the ultimate FPS for you (and neither are we)--you actually have to do the work.

Maybe once the overall maturitl level of those who are moderated rises this place will be the bazaar of FPSC activity. Until then, though, it's just gonna' be those of us who wish to preserve the forum (and the Mods, who try their best despite the nasty responses they get just for doing their job) holding this place together.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:28:55